main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Why was Chewie's gun so powerful?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by TROR, Dec 19, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DD-1110

DD-1110 Jedi Padawan star 1

Dec 20, 2015
    Worth repeating, even though perhaps tangential in this thread. While the whole theater was sobbing around me, I couldn't find the tears. I've been annoyed and confused by it until now. It's because there didn't seem to be any immediate result or consequence from Han's death. Kylo Ren seems neither more light not more dark. The Starkiller Base is unaffected. Chewie is PISSED, but his shot doesn't kill Ren. I do hope greater repercussions are made clear down the road.

2. ucdex

ucdex Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 20, 2015
    Han's death was more impactful to me on my subsequent viewings. 1st time I was a bit numb to it all. But I've said many times on other threads, I was numb on my first showing because of the pent up desire to see Star Wars and really not believing I'm watching another Star Wars that was really good.

3. The Supreme Chancellor

The Supreme Chancellor Jedi Master star 4

Sep 4, 2012
    The real question is why was Han surprised by Chewie's bowcaster when at this point they had been fighting/living side by side for what..40 years?

4. Stoneymonster

Stoneymonster Force Ghost star 4

May 8, 2002
    I thought it was a new weapon? I certainly thought it looked bigger than his old bowcaster and it shot different colored bolts.

5. DarthZ07

DarthZ07 Jedi Grand Master star 2

May 11, 2005
    "Why is Chewie's gun so powerful?"

It's a 10mm.

;)

6. DiditAllForTheWookie

DiditAllForTheWookie Jedi Master star 1

Apr 2, 2001
    AR15s use a small caliber.

7. Elle-Wan

Elle-Wan Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jul 11, 2004
    It just makes sense that the bowcaster is more powerful than a typical blaster. They just didn't emphasize that in the OT. Chewie probably weights 400+ lbs and is vastly stronger than people, so he would naturally choose to carry a more powerful weapon that would be unwieldy to a smaller, human sized person.

thejeditraitor likes this.
  8. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001

Can you tell I don't shoot? :p

9. Pluvial

Pluvial Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 19, 2015

Yeah, the bowcaster injury is a preconceived rationalization to justify Kylo's weak performance in the duel. It still doesn't work because of what they show Kylo do after the injury, but the bowcaster was an obvious attempt at rationalization.

10. Vorax

Vorax Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 10, 2014
    Not even any of his bones get broken from the impact. He can shake that wound off but yet can't over power Rey with one arm as she holds his sword arm in the snow. :rolleyes:

11. Stoneymonster

May 8, 2002
    Did you xray his chest to see?

thejeditraitor and Revanfan1 like this.
  12. Vorax

Vorax Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 10, 2014

yeah, because the movie obviously showed signs of him being unable to run, having broken bones and internal damage & unable to perform physical combat duty and swordsmanship.[face_clown]He only started slowing down when Finn got a blow in, then he picked up again until Rey overwhelmed him and starting cutting him up.

13. Pluvial

Pluvial Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 19, 2015

To be honest, I don't think he slowed down at all after Finn's blow to his shoulder. Finn is done seconds after that blow, and Rey is dominated until she has her power up moment.

14. DarthBroem

DarthBroem Jedi Youngling

Dec 21, 2015
    Back to the bowcaster. I was thinking to myself, "Surely Han would have tried out the bowcaster by now." But it didn't bother me that much. It was a mildly funny moment in the movie. Who knows maybe Chewy got a new one or upgraded it recently? Yes, of course it was to demonstrate why Kylo has a problem after being hit by Chewbacca with it. Which I loved seeing Chewy deliver some punishment to Kylo after Han's death.

Sarge likes this.
  15. Eons I slept

Eons I slept Jedi Padawan star 1

Sep 24, 2015
    It was a running gag that also worked as a plot device. I don't really have a problem with it, I chuckled every time.

thejeditraitor likes this.
  16. Lera_Swift

Lera_Swift Jedi Padawan star 2

Dec 19, 2015

damn, it was a joke.

Shaak Ti likes this.
  17. Tan-Wessel

Tan-Wessel Force Ghost star 4

May 31, 2001
    Just speaking from a Battlefront perspective, it's the game's most powerful weapon. You can one-shot everyone with it and multiples at a time. I didn't mind the Stormtroopers flying back because that's exactly what happens when I use it in the game; the gun fires multiple explosives that explode on impact.

There's also a scene where Han shoots out a door panel with it and it doesn't look like a large hit. That's fine with me too. In the game, the longer you charge the weapon, the stronger the explosive on impact. Whenever I just fire the Bowcaster with 1 charge, it's splash damage but weak.

As far as the gun's aim, it's not a crosshairs type of aim. What you see is a series of charging dots in a line. You're supposed to just generally aim it in the direction of the target's feet. THAT'S how to use the weapon - not aim it at their bodies. Han does hit the riot geared Stormie in the chest. That will work only if Han fired from a short range which he was at. A 1-2 charged Bowcaster would do what Han's shot did. The farther you are from your target, the less damage done if it's a body hit, but same distance and you aim for the ground or any nearby surface, there's tons of splash damage.

18. JabbatheHumanBeing

JabbatheHumanBeing Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 14, 2015
    There's a simple way to justify this. Chewie recently upgraded the bowcaster, and it's the first time Han's seen the new version in action. "Plot hole" filled.

You're welcome.

Jedi_Lantern and appleseed like this.
  19. Zenwalker

Zenwalker Jedi Knight star 4

Dec 18, 2015
    I want to see it take someone's head clean off.

Riv_Shiel likes this.
  20. The Supreme Chancellor

Sep 4, 2012
    You must never have seen or met anyone that large before. Based on looks and how Finn could support him over his shoulder..Chewie weighs maybe 240-270lbs.

21. Stoneymonster

May 8, 2002
    Ever had a broken rib? Anyway this is silly, we are arguing about damage to a fictional evil space wizard on a fictional planet by a fictional and impossible weapon. From a writing perspective, he was hurt, they showed it, that's enough for me.

Dareth likes this.
  22. The Supreme Chancellor

Sep 4, 2012
    I've heard Kylo Ren's character is based on a true story.

23. Mulgir

Mulgir Jedi Youngling

Dec 17, 2015
  24. Episode Swag

Episode Swag Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 9, 2013
    It's meant to show how banged up Ren was but still was able to fight back for awhile. But also I like to think that they were trying to spice Chewie up by giving him this extra quirk. Plus, it feels like a shotgun now, which is pretty baller I say!

25. Elle-Wan

Elle-Wan Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jul 11, 2004

Gorillas can weigh 400-500 lbs and they aren't even 6' tall. My estimate was based on him being about 8 feet tall and having considerably higher muscle density than a human would (as is suggested by the fact that he can rip people's arms out of their socket). I guess I stand corrected.

Wookiepedia says he's about 250 lbs, which is stunningly light with him being 7'6".

Riv_Shiel likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.