main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Why was General Grievous built with cheap Metal?

Discussion in 'Archive: Revenge of the Sith' started by DarthNute, Dec 9, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheCRZA

TheCRZA Jedi Padawan star 4

May 29, 2005
    I agree that Luke is not greased lightning with a lightsaber,
    I disagree that he's overrated.
    His ability to put his weapon down makes him better than
    his those that preceeded him.

2. sithrules70

sithrules70 Jedi Padawan star 4

May 28, 2005
    but that is undirect and even methaphorical.what im saying is that you put him to fight his father in his prime and he is dead meat.i never tried to say that he is an overrated jedi,i told you he isone of my favorites but with a lightsaber he is hugely overrated.

3. TheCRZA

May 29, 2005
    Overrated with a lightsaber? I don't think Luke is even rated with a lightsaber.
    The fights are awesome because of the emotionality.
    This is why Lukes duels are my favorite over any from the PT.
    You just can't beat "i'm your father" and "i am a jedi".
    Hey, I don't think i can show a link here, but
    google robot chicken from adult swim, it's a fun little clip.

4. sithrules70

sithrules70 Jedi Padawan star 4

May 28, 2005
    i meant his skills my friend.some people consider him to be equal to waht his father was in ROTS something that by no means is truth. the emotionallity in the vader/luke duels was unmatchable i agree.

5. TheCRZA

May 29, 2005
    Yeah. What skills? He can pick it up, turn it on and swing it like a
    wiffleball bat. Anakin would have eaten him alive.

Besides, Luke can't even cut a bar of silver into 7 pieces...
    what sort of combat skill is that?

6. Darth_Maestro

Darth_Maestro Jedi Master star 4

Jan 27, 2005
    why is Grievous armor so cheap beacuse Palpatine is, he likes to save, so he buy his armor for ALL his guys at the galatic 99cents store. Just look at Vader his armor is probably cheaper than Grievous, get melted by a simple bonfire?? wtf? so their you have it Palpatine is just a greedy coupon shopper thats why Grievopus armor is cheap.[face_laugh] ;)

7. Seperatist

Seperatist Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 4, 2005
    To Darth Tarantino: It was Utapau, the Obi Wan/Grievous duel took place on Utpau not Geonosis.

-S-

8. Haynesworth

Haynesworth Jedi Youngling

Dec 5, 2005
    Yeah, I kind of equate the ROTJ Vader vs. Luke duel to AOTC Dooku vs. Anakin duel. Yes, Anakin gets owned and Luke eventually owns Vader, but I think Vader is holding back the whole fight because he wants to turn Luke to the dark side, and Luke finally does give into his emotions and starts attacking Vader with controlled anger. Dooku is trying to harm Anakin, but neither Vader or the Emperor wants Luke hurt, they want him alive and turned to the darkside. Lucas has said that suited Vader was the same power as Dooku and Maul, and I think ROTJ Luke was probably about the same as AOTC padawan Anakin.

9. Newone

Newone Jedi Youngling

Dec 11, 2005
    i dont think that vader or dooku were holding back luke totally destroyed vader and anakin did the same to dooku.other than that i agree

10. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    Also, Luke himself was holding back more than Vader was even going so far to turn off his saber at one point. A few swings after that he jumps out of harms way. Luke was doing everything he could not to fight vader but to turn him, and when he finally cuts loose he hands Vader his ass. Luke's saber skills are one thing, his power with the Force is what sets him apart, he is the son of Anakin after all.

EDIT: Oh, and uh, GG's metal was not cheap.

11. Haynesworth

Dec 5, 2005
    No, the original point of bringing Luke to the Emperor is to turn him to the dark side. Luke attacks the Emperor but Vader blocks it which starts the duel. But if the whole point is to turn Luke to the darkside, neither the Emperor nor Vader would want to kill him. The Emperor doesn't want Vader to kill Luke because he wants to turn him and replace Vader, and Vader doesn't want to kill Luke because he wants to turn him and overthrow the Emperor. Vader is not going all out against Luke, and he is handling him until he provokes Luke's emotions and he goes darkside. Luckily, Luke is able to resist the temptation and do what his father couldn't by refusing to kill him.

12. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    So are you just going to ignore the parts where Luke kicks Vader down the stairs then turns his lightsaber of and actually says he will not fight?

13. Newone

Newone Jedi Youngling

Dec 11, 2005
    luke is deffinitelly holding back until he goes berserk

14. DarthGroznii

DarthGroznii Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 30, 2005
    Let's not forget that in TPM, Qui Gon nearly cut through thick blast doors with his lightsaber. It's doubtful Grievous was made with cheap materials; it wouldn't make much difference what he was made of when it came to facing a lightsaber weilding opponent.

15. Haynesworth

Dec 5, 2005
    There are two different parts to that fight. In the beginning, Vader is holding back because he wants to turn Luke, but he still is controlling the fight. Luke may have been holding back in the beginning too, but you can't say he still was when he goes crazy. Here, he is able to overpower Vader, similar to when Anakin defeated Dooku by using his anger. Luke does have a lot of raw power and is able to use it effectively here. He is basically the same as an AOTC of ROTS Anakin in terms of raw power and potential but he just has a lot less training. I'm not trying to say Luke is weak, I'm just saying this scene doesn't mean Vader is weaker than Sidious' other apprentices like Dooku. There are clearly other circumstances in the fight than just "Luke beats Vader".

16. Master Chbel

Master Chbel Jedi Padawan star 4

May 6, 2000
    If Grievous was built with substandard material, this would explains why it took 20 some years to complete the Death Star.

17. Obi-Chron

Obi-Chron Jedi Master star 4

Nov 11, 2003
    ^^^^^
    Would've been much better to build him with Heavy Metal!

" I AM IRON MAN!!!!! " [face_skull]

18. Ceethreepio

Ceethreepio Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 4, 2003
    As you can see when Obi-wan kicks Grievous in the shin it hurts, so I doubt its cheap. It was just as Sinister said, it was built only as for a short time. He was basically a prop to show what the CIS could do and to show what Anakin would soon become.

19. Talon_Kenobi

Talon_Kenobi Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2003

I never bought that Vader was holding back. The whole reason people say he was holding back was to turn Luke to the Darkside and then kill the Emperor. I don't think that is the case. Everytime Vader talks to Luke about going to the DS he says they will then kill the Emperor. Well, if Vader really wanted the Emperor dead he would have been dead. He just wouldn't have stopped Luke saber. That is probably one of the most over looked parts in that scene. Why does Vader stop the saber. If he doesn't Luke kills the Emperor, Luke turns to the DS. Vader would probably just order a stop to the assault to the rebels to show Luke that what he did was right. Everyone wins. So it is a confusing

And back on topic. It wasn't cheap. We know Grevious has killed plenty of Jedi. Non of those Jedi were able stop him or hurt him. The first time he was hurt was against Mace, which is EU by the way (although some people are pretending it isn't and then saying lightsaber absorbing metal is stupid EU, EU is EU either it all happened or non of it did, you can't choose 50/50). First Obi-wan weakened it with that huge force push, and then with the electrostaff. Also he helped use the force to open the chest plate. Who says that you need to be away form someone to use the force. Why can't you force push and regular push something at the same time?

20. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    Vader was holding back against Luke, because as Luke says, "Your thoughts betray you, father. I feel the good in you. The conflict." Against any other opponet, Vader wouldn't have any quams about fighting his opponet. Vader didn't hold back against Obi-wan. Nor did he against Dooku when it came to crunch time. But against his own son, he cannot kill him. At first it's because of his potential. But then it's because he loves his son and cannot bring himself to harm him anymore. So he hesitates at intervals. He doesn't go for an injury or for the kill. He doesn't summon up his rage to go back on the offensive. Luke knows this and that is why he keeps putting off the fight. Why he keeps telling Vader that he can sense his conflict.

The animated series is closer to the film canon than the eu is. However, eu is under the banner of being official. Just cause Lucas doesn't reference all the stories, doesn't mean that they aren't all part of the official lore. Just cause the story starts and stops with the films, doesn't mean that's all there is to Star Wars. But this is a different discussion.

21. MasterGizz

MasterGizz Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 4, 2003
    Slightly off topic...?

22. RebelScum77

RebelScum77 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 3, 2003
    Yeah, I have no idea how this got so off topic... but let's get back. kthxbye. ;)

23. egolden23

egolden23 Jedi Youngling

Nov 3, 2005
    There is in fact, is lightsaber resistent metal. Darth Vader has it at least on his shoulders. In Ep. V, Luke strikes him in the shoulder with the lightsaber blade, causing Vader to groan and get angrily chopping a bulkhead in half. If his "armor" wasn't lightsaber resistent, that would be the end of the saga right there, as vaders arm and shoulder would have plummeted to the bottom of cloud city. Instaead, Lukes hand did.

24. CPShArp

CPShArp Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 15, 2005
    First thing, please do not bring up the possibility that cortosis is used in the movies cause EU is technically not star wars since it is not GL's creation or dream. EU was created to expand star wars to fill in possible gaps and myths that viewers wonder about, as an end result Lucas makes more money by selling things that he never created but were created by authors. As for Grievous, if you notice in the movie (not the clone wars cartoon) there are some scenes where you can actually see sun light refracting and going through Grievous's skeleton armor. This suggests that GG's skeleton is more of a fiber glass material, not metal and fiber glass weighs less so maybe that's why he can move so fast. Darth Vader's armor is more heavy and stonger so maybe that's why he moves so slow, yet he is more protected. His armor being weak is the disadvantage but the fact that it is light he can move fast and quickly...the advantage which unfortuantly didn't help when fighting obiwan.

Did you notice how Luke swung the saber at Vader? It looked like he was slapping vader with a whip or something. I'am not saying there is no lightsaber resistant metal, maybe there is maybe there isn't....but it's not cortosis.

His shin is made of a different metal then the rest of his body...more tougher metal.
    http://img12.imageshack.us/img12/6393/vdgrievous6hj0pk.jpg

25. Haynesworth

Dec 5, 2005
    The EU is basically fan fiction by more competent artists. If you accept the EU as truth, then that includes all works of fan fiction too by your standards. The point of the EU is to fill in gaps that George Lucas didn't fill in the movies. None of it is "true" or "untrue", it's just people's interpretations and opinions on what might have happened during periods not shown in the movies. Some stuff is more plausible than others.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.