main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT Why was Jango Fett used to the host the clones?

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by HaloWithStyle, May 12, 2015.

1. HaloWithStyle

HaloWithStyle Jedi Master star 2

May 11, 2015
    this has always confused me, why would they use a random bounty hunter? is there a story behind this decision?

2. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    There is. It's an EU one. Sidious basically told Dooku "Find the baddest warrior in the galaxy and talk him/her into being a clone host" - Dooku did the research, narrowed it down to a few, including Jango - put them through various tests (Jango doing best) then talked Jango into it.

Jango Fett: Open Seasons shows that conversation (as well as Jango's early life, and the reasons he hates the Jedi enough to be part of a plot to destroy them all), and I think the computer game Star Wars: Bounty Hunter shows the testing process, before that conversation:

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Star_Wars:_Bounty_Hunter
    http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Jango_Fett:_Open_Seasons

3. HaloWithStyle

HaloWithStyle Jedi Master star 2

May 11, 2015
    thanks for that. It actually makes perfect sense

Iron_lord likes this.
  4. DarthSheev

DarthSheev Jedi Knight star 4

Mar 9, 2015
    There's a great video game called Star Wars: Bounty Hunter. It's pretty old now, but it basically tells the story. Count Dooku sets up a competition to find the host for the clone army under the orders of Darth Sidious. There is a dangerous dark side cult called the Bando Gora that is brainwashing people using tarnished death sticks. Its leader is a former Jedi named Komari Vosa, who used to be an apprentice of Dooku. The contest is to find and kill Vosa for a grand reward of 5 million credits or 50 I think, I can't remember exactly. Anyway, Dooku decides to kill two birds with one stone this way. The bounty hunter who finds and kills Vosa would definitely be powerful enough to be the host for an army of clones. Another bounty hunter named Montross is chosen as Jango's competitor in this contest. Basically, you play as Jango through several locations, gathering clues about where Vosa is located, and facing off against many thugs and Bando Gora cult members. The game ends on Kohlma, the headquarters of the Bando Gora and Vosa's hideout. This is "one of the moons of Bogden" that Jango mentions as the place where he was recruited by a man called Tyranus (Dooku). Fett defeats Montross and subdues Vosa, who is then Force choked to death by Tyranus who had been watching the battle. Tyranus then gives him the offer of becoming the template for a clone army. Jango accepts on one condition, that he receives an unaltered clone as his own. Hence, Boba Fett. This is also where Jango meets Zam Wesell, the shapeshifting bounty hunter from Episode II, and steals his ship, Slave I, from an asteroid prison. Of course, this is Legends now, so it's basically non-canon. There might be a future story explaining it or maybe not. This was the version for a long time though. Game was really fun I remember.

5. darkspine10

darkspine10 Chosen One star 8

Dec 7, 2014
    Couldn't they have just cloned any random person though? (I mean, someone with no major genetic diseases or anything)

Is training genetic?

6. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    No - but a lot of the things that made Jango as successful as he was, might have had genetic components. Or so the theory would go. Exceptionally fast reflexes being just one possibility.

7. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    He's a bounty hunter, but not a random one. That's probably why they chose him as a template.

8. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011

Physical attributes are largely influenced by genetics. So are many other things, apparently.

DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR likes this.
  9. Wookiee_Vader

Wookiee_Vader Jedi Master star 2

Aug 21, 2007
    Another question is why the heck were the Jango clones used not just for infantry soldiers and commandos but for many other roles as well? Not least naval officers. Fighter pilots too. Jango was obviously a good pilot but I'm sure they could have found a better dedicated pilot template, as well as some kind of tactical genius for their naval personnel.

Maybe Dexter clones for their army chefs.

MacetheCouncillor likes this.
  10. KaminoPalomino

KaminoPalomino Jedi Youngling

May 6, 2015
    Maybe it would be more expensive to clone new templates. [face_dunno]

11. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    Star Wars is amazingly inconsistent with how it handles currency. One second they act like they have unlimited stock, the next they act like no one has anything.

12. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
    because he throws the greatest parties! [face_party]

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  13. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    In universe...what Iron_lord said.

Out of universe...because it made a connection to Boba Fett and for whatever reason, that was important.

14. Slicer87

Slicer87 Jedi Master star 4

Mar 18, 2013
    Because Jango was a ruthless thug who didn't think twice about backstabbing his cohorts. These are the qualities the Sith wanted in their troops and pilots for turning on and killing the Jedi and to subjugate the galaxy. Remember Dooku was the one who recruited Jango and I doubt he picked him for being a noble warrior. Jango killing Zam was a foreshadow of his clones killing the Jedi. Post 66 we see the clone troops behaving like bullies as Obi-Wan is sneaking around.

Clone navel officers are only seen in TCW while ROTS showed only non clone officers on the SD bridge. One of many differing elements between the films and the series.

15. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    On purpose. Having regular humans on the bridge at the end of RotS is to imply the idea that the Empire was not using clones anymore.

16. Slicer87

Mar 18, 2013
    However the head bumping Stormtrooper in ANH implies the Empire still does use clones as Jango also bumped his head in AOTC and Lucas stated the Stromtroopers inherited that trait from him. The series and films just differ on some points, such as crab droids having 6 legs in ROTS but only 4 in TCW. Also ROTS was made before the TCW and the concept of clone officers was even created. The bridge scene was to imply the Republic/Empire used normal human officers along with clone troops, some officers in TCW were also non clones. ROTS also makes no mention of Ashoka, Rex, Ventress (who breaks the Sith rule of two), Hondo, Maul being alive somehow after dying onscreen, LAAT flying in space, and many of the battle droid models in TCW never appear in the films, the two just differ at times, but this is not a debate about which version is correct, just acknowledging that there are differences instead of ignoring them and hammering square pegs into round holes.

Star Wars is full of such differences such as Boba onscreen dying in ROTJ but being brought back in the EU, that the existence of different versions of the lore should be accepted as they are instead or trying to mash it all together into a nonsensical mess which is how the legends EU ended up. Why so many fans want to mash and hammer every last bit of different takes and spin off universes into a single line of continuity is beyond me since it doesn't work.

17. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    According to Wookieepedia's talk page for the crab droid, there's only 4 legs in the movies too:

[​IMG]

- and that the source saying 6 legs (The Essential Guide to Droids) probably just goofed.

The canon page compromises, saying big ones had 6 legs, small ones 4:

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/LM-432_crab_droid/Canon

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  18. DurararaFTW

DurararaFTW Jedi Master star 4

Jul 5, 2014

They did not choose a random bounty hunter. The Fetts are a several thousands years old Mandalorian legacy, well established to produce strong warriors.

19. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
    nope sorry. tcw states fett wasn't mando.

20. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  21. L110

L110 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 26, 2014
    Probably because he´s well trained killer capable in combat and as a mercenary, for money he´ll do what they want. I can´t think of more simple reason.

Iron_lord likes this.
  22. Slicer87

Mar 18, 2013
    The Hasbro toy of the crab droids also feature 6 legs, I found this youtube clip that shows the movie crab droids do have six legs including the one in your still that gets head shot, their rear legs are small and hard to see from the front.

Perhaps a animator for TCW goofed.

23. LZM65

LZM65 Jedi Knight star 4

Feb 24, 2015
    I remember that Jango was a Mandalorian. And weren't Mandalorians known for being renown warriors throughout the galaxy?

24. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    He is not a mandalorian anymore.

thejeditraitor likes this.
  25. KaminoPalomino

KaminoPalomino Jedi Youngling

May 6, 2015
    Is it only because of what Almec said? I was never sure if he was telling the truth or not. I think Wookieepedia still says Jango is a Mandalorian.

By the way, how reliable is Wookieepedia?

DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR likes this.