main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Why was Kylo Ren hitting is wound?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by MatthewH, Dec 21, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MatthewH

MatthewH Jedi Padawan

Mar 24, 2013
    Why was Kylo Ren hitting his wound during the lightsaber fight?

2. Sgt. Carver

Sgt. Carver Jedi Master star 4

Jul 27, 2015
    Situating himself to fight through the pain.

Davak24, Darth Djent, JonoLFC and 7 others like this.
  3. nightangel

nightangel Force Ghost star 6

Oct 31, 2014
    Because the audience had to realize that he is wounded and that it is plausible that untrained Rey can beat him. The same like the hint with the powerful bowcaster of Chewie. :)

4. Jmacq1

Jmacq1 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 20, 2005
    Using the pain to fuel his rage coupled with proving to himself he could take it. He probably wants to "suffer" like Vader did, too, being as worshipful of him as he is.

5. TROR

TROR Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 18, 2015
    Using the pain for adrenaline

Revanfan1, Davak24, JonoLFC and 7 others like this.
  6. apone1024

apone1024 Jedi Youngling

Dec 18, 2015
    Blood loss tends to make people pass out. Pain tends to keep people awake. He was trying not to pass out.

And to a lesser extent, pain --> anger --> dark side power (again, to keep himself going).

7. Lera_Swift

Lera_Swift Jedi Padawan star 2

Dec 19, 2015
    It irks me that people are focusing on this, when its meant to be just a character thing with no heavy meaning. NO HATE toward the poster! I just think people are thinking its more than it is, or just really really want something to discuss, IDK.

its obvious - he was mad at himself/his body for showing weakness in front of his enemy. it's a very "it bleeds" moment...why the costume? the mask? the cape? the name? the fancy broadsword lightsaber? it's to see ominous, special, and more than human - immortal, mythical, etc. when you're bleeding all over the snow it kinda ruins the effect. he kept fighting through it, but every time he strained that injury he was going "NO NO NO NO!". That injury was a reminder to him he was average, and weak, and it showed his enemy he had weakness.

8. Brian McCoy

Brian McCoy Jedi Youngling

Dec 21, 2015

This is a known psychological response in children that feel they have done something to harm another physically. He is probably been doing this for years since he tried to murder Luke for Snook and mistakenly killed his wife. Its a form of self punishment because he knows what he is doing is bad and his subconscious is battling his reality.

9. Sightie

Sightie Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 13, 2015
    Pain = adrenaline & serotonin & UNLIMITED POWER!

10. Jmacq1

Jmacq1 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 20, 2005
    I love how you casually slide in rampant and unfounded speculation as facts.

11. MYMUTHAZ

MYMUTHAZ Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 17, 2001
    to feel the pain

12. Bobatron

Bobatron Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    I've seen people do that sort of thing. I saw someone do something similar with his foot after dropping a trailer on it.

TheOneX_Eleazar likes this.
  13. ewoksimon

ewoksimon Chosen One star 5

Oct 26, 2009
    It almost felt like a tribal, Sith like thing. Amazing.

14. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
    ain't no sith.

trongate and MYMUTHAZ like this.
  15. ewoksimon

ewoksimon Chosen One star 5

Oct 26, 2009
    Yeah I know, it's just the impression I got.

B99 and thejeditraitor like this.
  16. MYMUTHAZ

MYMUTHAZ Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 17, 2001
    this

trongate and thejeditraitor like this.
  17. MatthewH

MatthewH Jedi Padawan

Mar 24, 2013
    Oh that makes sense (pain = adrenaline/dark side). I can't believe I didn't think of that.

Lera_Swift I genuinely wanted to know if there is a specific scientific reason behind it or something.

DaveyWanKenobi likes this.
  18. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
    I think he was just psyching himself up. Also, he’s mad. Did anyone catch his injuries at the end? I saw the big slash across his face. It was very quick and hard to tell. Did Rey manage to chop something off?

Dewback and Luke'sSeveredHand like this.
  19. jedinightwing

jedinightwing Jedi Master star 3

Aug 4, 2009
    Hitting it would constrict the muscles and slightly reduce the blood flow. Also, if its going numb it'll help get a bit of feeling back in to that spot (like when your leg falls asleep. smack it a few times. it helps).

Also, it works because if you're trying to keep yourself from bleeding out, you won't be able to focus on the task at hand properly.

20. thejeditraitor

Aug 19, 2003
    he got stabbed in the shoulder and there was smoke coming out which was awesome. i think she may have sliced his saber.

ATMachine and Krueger like this.
  21. Lera_Swift

Dec 19, 2015
    No, I know - that's why I said I wasn't coming after the poster :)

To me, it just works better as a character thing, and it works better if it's left subtle. I've read and heard so many people asking about it now and what it meant, it kills the subtlety. Maybe the movie shouldn't have focused so much on it and not drawn so much attention to it.

22. Canyon D

Canyon D Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 17, 2015
    His leg got pretty gashed too. His sword is destroyed. And he is hitting himself to fuel his anger, using the pain for power. Like Vader explains in Lords Of The Sith.
    Just saying he got six injuries not counting his lightsaber destruction. Just shows how powerful he is to keep fighting and survive

23. Lera_Swift

Dec 19, 2015
    she DEFINITELY left him with quite a hefty Skywalker signature facial scar!

but he didn't get anything chopped off - all limbs accounted for.

24. Lera_Swift

Dec 19, 2015
    hitting your wound doesn't do anything to prevent bleeding out...in fact it would increase it because it would be drawing blood to the area. Putting pressure on the wound would stall it from bleeding out.

Dak Oolron likes this.
  25. The Shrike

The Shrike Jedi Knight star 1

Oct 31, 2012
    Considering what Chewbacca's bowcaster did to everyone else it hit, it's amazing Kylo was still upright.

It certainly hampered him in the fights, and he was probably angry with himself over letting himself become distracted enough over his father's death that he was caught unaware when Chewy nailed him.

26. thejeditraitor

Aug 19, 2003
    i was wondering was this the first film with no limbs chopped off? the only one i can remember is the rathtar's tentacle.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.