main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Why was Kylo Ren hitting is wound?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by MatthewH, Dec 21, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. General Kenobi

General Kenobi Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 31, 1998
    He's just trying to stop the bleeding. Too many midichlorians spilling out. Probably why Rey was able to beat him.

2. BadCane

BadCane Jedi Master star 4

Oct 28, 2015
    LOL midichlorians spilling out.

I think it was like "cmon dammit, you can take it. This is nothing".

Varase Rel likes this.
  3. The Legions of Lettow

The Legions of Lettow Jedi Master star 5

Oct 14, 2015
    I don't understand the question. English, please.

4. BadCane

BadCane Jedi Master star 4

Oct 28, 2015
    Oh god, here we go

5. Import_Jedi

Import_Jedi Force Ghost star 6

Aug 20, 2001

He was hell-bent on confronting Rey and Finn before they escaped.

"We're not done yet."

6. JabbatheHumanBeing

JabbatheHumanBeing Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 14, 2015
    It's one of many small details that elevate TFA well beyond the standard blockbuster.

7. George89

George89 Jedi Youngling

Dec 20, 2015
    To feel the pain and remind himself that he let himself down by getting injured, fueling his rage, and with the rage gaining strength from the Dark Side. That's how i saw it.

8. Darth Dominikkus

Darth Dominikkus Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 5, 2013
    Yeah, but lightsabers cauterize, he wouldn't bleed out from a strike of a saber, just experience severe pain.

9. Darth Dominikkus

Darth Dominikkus Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 5, 2013
    I sort of think that the movie disobeyed some saber laws. You would think that a small strike on the should could have possibly gone all the way through and severed his arm completely. Or that the strike on his face would have killed him. Who knows.

10. hckymdgt

hckymdgt Jedi Youngling

Apr 6, 2014

Dropped a TRAILER on it? Whoa.

Yeah I read it as trying to embrace the pain and use it to fuel his anger, although he kept doing it because it wasn't working very well and he thought he should be stronger.

11. Jmacq1

Jmacq1 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 20, 2005
    Nah, we see from ESB and AotC that "glancing" blows and less severe wounds than "slice it off!" are possible with Lightsabers.

12. LUH-3417

LUH-3417 Jedi Master star 4

May 11, 2001
    loved it, part of his character. been saying it for months, weve seen attack dog maul, distinguished count dooku, puppet master palpatine, brute force vader, and now unstable kylo ren. nice addition, anyone complaining is nitpicking. not all sith or sith wannabees through the ages were lords, there had to be a few nutty ones here and there.
    look at anakin before the turn and years of misery, he was unstable screaming mess

13. floatlikegas

floatlikegas Jedi Master star 2

Apr 27, 2010
    The more pain you are in the stronger you get
    dark side is hax like that

14. DaveyWanKenobi

DaveyWanKenobi Jedi Padawan star 1

Nov 4, 2015

Pretty much how I saw it. Pain --> Anger --> Hate--> Evil Power....that whole spiel.

15. JeanNo

JeanNo Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 21, 2015
    Pain = Rage = Dark side of the Force

16. Granbo

Granbo Jedi Youngling

Feb 4, 2015
    I think the pain + rage = Dark Side power is the correct answer in universe. But I think the scene's primary purpose was to show the audience that Ben was at a severe disadvantage and to show that he was not weak by getting bested by Rey and Finn.

Sepia likes this.
  17. ATMachine

ATMachine Jedi Master star 4

Feb 27, 2007
    My guess? Kylo's blood was pooling inside his armor after that bowcaster wound, and he was trying to dislodge it. I don't imagine wet bloodsoaked armor is very fun to wear.

Also, thejeditraitor has an avatar that looks like somebody spilled blood all over a camera lens. Just saying. ;)

thejeditraitor likes this.
  18. zackm

zackm Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 22, 2015
    I just thought he was crazy. [face_dunno]

19. themoth

themoth Force Ghost star 5

Dec 5, 2015
    Way I saw it too.

20. SOLARISENSHI

SOLARISENSHI Jedi Knight star 1

May 20, 2015
    I would consider it that he's psychologically unstable and doesn't know how to connect to the dark side on a whim thus he hits himself increasing the pain he feels and that alone gives you a connection, whether it's what a Sith Lord would deem appropriate or not. After the fight with Finn and Rey, and seeing himself hit well himself the way he did that was the conclusion I came to also gave him the nickname bruiser. Plus he wasn't fully focused at the time even during combat he was thinking of a way to get the lightsaber thus, the reason the fight probably ended the way it did with Rey digging his lightsaber into the ground and getting a few power hits. During the fight I always thought he was a bit emotionally unstable after what had happened with Han Solo. Light or dark side I'm not sure how you can emotionally recover from murdering your own father. But I do know that in a real fight a street fight if you're pissed off you're likely to come at your opponent with the Fury only you would know due to your emotional state. I personally practice martial arts myself and have been a black belt for two years I've had the options for weapons training and I took it head on and I know not how heavy the hilt of his cross guard Sabre is but I think it would be somewhere near the Black Series collectible lightsaber. I myself prefer regular Kendo. Or on the chances I get to practice with the real forged katana I'm joyous and seem to have never been more focused on my life. I guess now, being a martial artist gives me a better view on Star Wars duels especially a person with weapons training.

Worker11811 likes this.
  21. Sith-I-5

Sith-I-5 Force Ghost star 6

Aug 14, 2002
    Why was Kylo Ren hitting his wound?

To remind us that he had been shot with a bowcaster, as it was not obvious with the unimpaired strikes and parries he was managing.

ATMachine likes this.
  22. intravenusdemilo

intravenusdemilo Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 21, 2015
    I've read a lot of over and under analytical theories. The answer is he is hitting his wound to feel pain. The pain helped keep him angry and focused on darkness. The pain and anger makes him feel more powerful with the dark side.

JediKnightYJK likes this.
  23. Sith-I-5

Sith-I-5 Force Ghost star 6

Aug 14, 2002
    Maybe. But based on seeing the movie once, I stand by my position that I saw nothing to suggest his performance against Finn and Rey would have been in any way better, had Chewie not shot him. He started listing a bit in the latter half of the Rey fight, but that was all.

In Return of the Jedi, when Darth Vader's life support is damaged by the Emperor's Force Lightning, you can tell he is in physical trouble, bent over, having to be helped by Luke to the hangar bay.

Bowcaster quarrel in the gut, and Kylo Ren is out for a brisk winter stroll through the forest, getting ahead of our able-bodied heroes, and then puts up some un-impaired-looking swashbuckling. I feel that the director was telling him, "Alright, for Take 17, do the same, but act as if you are injured and struggling a bit. No, I don't care that that wasn't what you choreographed; you are supposed to build on it to...alright, you know what, just smack yourself in the hip every few minutes."

24. Elle-Wan

Elle-Wan Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jul 11, 2004

Yep I thought it was great. I think it was mostly to pysch himself up, like slapping yourself in the face, or football players slamming helmets with their teammates. ...but in addition to that, it drew attention to the idea that wounds are real. It does *hurt* when you get hurt, and you *are* going to be affected by it.

25. King Scoop

King Scoop Jedi Knight

Jan 1, 2016
    Partly to pump himself up, and to make so it doesn't hurt as bad when he moves. I've done basically the same thing after getting injured and trying to walk it off.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.