main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Why was Rey sent to see Luke?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Combustion_Chamber, Jan 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dark Lord Of The Empire

Dark Lord Of The Empire Jedi Master star 4

Aug 28, 2013
    Rey's reaction at the end of the film is due to the fact that she's meeting Luke Skywalker, the last Jedi, whom up until recently, she thought was a myth. It's an extremely powerful moment for her. I think Luke already had felt Han's death through the force, and it's just added to whatever anguish he was already feeling. It's a fantastic scene, and the fact that no words are spoken, yet you can tell what the characters are thinking/feeling, is a testament to the great actors.

thescavenger, panki and 357hermon like this.
  2. Heroic BB-8

Heroic BB-8 Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 29, 2015
    it wasn't even that they sent Rey. they sent Chewbacca and he brought along his sidekick.

3. Jakku

Jakku Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 29, 2015
    I loved Chewie's tenderness towards Rey.

4. Darth_Articulate

Darth_Articulate Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 1, 2012
    Because she interrupted him taking a leak and was afraid he'd get mad.

5. 357hermon

357hermon Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 6, 2016
    I agree and I think there is so much more involved there too. He is the last Master Jedi right now. To be at that stage would allow you to feel and read feelings, past, present and future, most especially with Rey. She is the embodiment of everything that has happened in this "awakening".

6. Thrawn082

Thrawn082 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 11, 2014
    What's interesting to me is Mark Hamill's facial expressions. They're a lot harder to read, deliberately so I think.

nightangel likes this.
  7. Combustion_Chamber

Combustion_Chamber Jedi Knight

Jan 6, 2016

I think this is correct. She doesn't know he's her father (if that's even true). She is just awestruck. Also, Luke would be feeling sorrow, not only for Han's death, but for the billions of deaths in the Hosnian system. Old Ben Kenobi felt it when Aalderaan was detroyed, so I imagine Luke could feel the Star Killer base's destruction as well.

Thinking about Leia's motivation to send Rey to meet Luke leads me to believe the Rey is related somehow. According to Maz Kanata, Rey's family (not Luke) is never coming back, but the belonging she seeks lies ahead (Luke)." Leia was friinds with Obi Wan (hence she called for his help in ANH) so it's possible Leia knew Obi Wan's kids (or possibly his neices and nephews?), who were the ones to take her to Jakku, thus supporting the Grampa-Obi theory.

8. Plan741

Plan741 Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 22, 2015

Well she has his lightsaber and she faced down Leia's son with it. It should be clear that she would be the best bet on bringing Luke back. A pilot probably wouldn't convince him that he had to come back to what he felt he needed to walk away from. Clearly he would see her as a call to become a Jedi again.

9. Thrawn082

Thrawn082 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 11, 2014
    He felt the need to walk away from everything (for reasons yet to be revealed) even with Han and Leia still around. So it stands to reason that Leia would think that she wasn't the one who could talk him into coming back.

But this unusually naturally gifted FS young woman with the mysterious past, who (regardless of if she's actually related to him or not) might very well represent both, no pun intended, "A New Hope" and a second chance for Luke himself. Well, she might have more luck. It might not be easy, but give it a shot.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.