main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CT Why was this line In Empire changed?

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by Jason79, Nov 4, 2012.

1. Darth_Nub

Darth_Nub Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 26, 2009
    Of course it was. My bad.

Didn't know the line was an old cut line from SW/ANH - for such an apparently simple thread, I've learned a few new things!

He's been the voice of Obi-Wan Kenobi in TCW & various other things - what does he have to do with Vader, or any of the replaced lines in the OT?

2. Narutakikun

Narutakikun Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 8, 2012
    Have a listen to the interview Thomas F. Wilson did with him on the Big Pop Fun podcast. JAT has a huge vocal range, and has ADRed in lines for tons of actors in movie post-production. He could certainly do replacements for some Star Wars lines.

3. Darth_Nub

Darth_Nub Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 26, 2009
    Ah, OK.

The OT seems to have been covered anyway - unless someone manages to dig up the extra bits of the ROTJ conversation between Luke & Obi-Wan, IF they were shot...

4. janstett

janstett Jedi Master star 3

May 29, 2004
    I loved that line, showed Luke still had a sense of humor and still had sarcastic wit.

PUT IT BACK!

Arawn_Fenn likes this.
  5. SlashMan

SlashMan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 5, 2012
    Was Lucas against it just because Mark Hamill ad-libbed it on the spot? Props to Hamill for being clever, but I guess George wanted things to be by the script. Apparently nothing is too small to be "improved," though; in this case, it doesn't add anything, nor does it take away.

6. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    The novel doesn't have him say anything at that moment- however, it does say:

"Luke was grateful that the shadowy swamp lurker apparently found metal droids neither palatable nor digestible."

DarthBoba likes this.
  7. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    All line changes in Empire are due to audio degradation.

8. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    Also- assuming that audio quality was that much of an issue- wouldn't it have been simpler to get hold of the digitally remastered pre-SE videos- and use those for the lines?

9. DarthBoba

Jun 29, 2000
    Well, let me consult my audio engineering degree and go with "no because they didn't do it" :p

10. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    I could be wrong I suppose. It's just- why change words, if audio degradation was the only reason? Wouldn't it, in Luke's case at least, lead to lips not matching what's said?

11. DarthBoba

Jun 29, 2000
    Eh, I'm just inclined from a business point of view to believe them. A business is always going to make the simplest, cheapest choice. They're not going to go with the more expensive/complex choice unless there's simply no other choice. Now, as neither of us are audio engineers and weren't present for whatever decision-making process was gone through, there's really no saying for us which was simplest/cheapest..but I'm inclined to go with what we got, particularly for a cool-but-has-no-real-bearing-on-the-story point like this one.

Now, bring up Boba's voice change and you'll get me all good and irritated for reasons ranging from character style to facts of biology :p

12. MrFantastic74

MrFantastic74 Jedi Knight star 4

Oct 4, 2010
    Yes, that one bothered me too. "Bring my shuttle", as it happens, was an oft-quoted line in my cirlce of friends (for some reason I don't recall). Now it's just... gone.