main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Rogue One Why was Vader's location not named?

Discussion in 'Anthology' started by Unkar's Muffins, Dec 19, 2016.

1. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    Yes, the "prequel stink" they're avoiding by using a prequel character, two prequel actors, a prequel vehicle, and a prequel location.

Sure.

2. Django Fett

Django Fett Force Ghost star 5

Nov 7, 2012
    Why do you need to name somewhere that is obvious to anyone familiar with the whole story?

thejeditraitor likes this.
  3. Lt. Hija

Lt. Hija Jedi Master star 4

Dec 8, 2015
    Vader's castle and its surroundings were first described in the first draft of ESB which neither provided the planet's name:

137 EXT DARTH VADER’S CASTLE
    A grim castle of black iron that squats on a rock in the midst of a crimson sea.

138 INT DARTH VADER’S CASTLE
    In a tower room, grim and darkling, lighted by the red glow outside. Vader is at home, at ease.

I wouldn't exclude the possibility that Gareth Edwards intended to leave it like that in RO, i.e. a planet without name.

4. Darth Blade

Darth Blade Jedi Knight star 1

Oct 29, 2014

If didn't name the location because of "prequel stink" then they wouldn't have even used that location at all. They would have had his castle on a random planet instead of a volcanic planet that people familiar with ROTS would recognize as being Mustafar.

5. Lt. Hija

Dec 8, 2015
    [​IMG]

...or Sullust from the Star Wars Battlefront game. [face_beatup]

[​IMG]

ZodaEX likes this.
  6. Gigoran Monk

Gigoran Monk Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 2, 2016
    No, a lot of people didn't initially know Vader was coming during that scene. That's clear from the early discussions here after the opening week. Pablo said exactly why they didn't put the name up. And let's count the other examples of RO avoiding prequel stink, shall we?

1. Prequel actor playing Bail Organa
    2. Prequel actress playing Mon Mothma
    3. Two prequel planets (Mustafar and Coruscant)
    4. Prequel juggernaut vehicle

And if they were afraid of prequel stink...why make the planet Mustafar at all? And then later announce that it was indeed Mustafar?

Use logic.

7. Lt. Hija

Dec 8, 2015
    [​IMG]

Actually it's only one prequel planet, Coruscant was featured in an OT context (Thrawn Trilogy), adopted by George Lucas as canon, illustrated by Ralph McQuarrie in 1995 (in an OT context, example above) and ultimately featured at the end of the Special Edition of ROJ in 1997:

[​IMG]

In my book it's therefore an OT planet.

SateleNovelist11 likes this.
  8. SateleNovelist11

SateleNovelist11 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2015

But some people like the smell of prequel methane. It spurred a lot of creativity for EU novelists. ;)

9. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    This scene description is so beautifully absurd. "Vader at ease" would have been a great title for this scene's score as we pan in on Vader gazing out of his window while puffing on his tobacco pipe and wearing comfy slippers. A lava bird flutters up to his window. Vader gently says, "Good morning little bird" and puts out his finger for the bird to perch on.

10. Lt. Hija

Dec 8, 2015
    A Chorus of Disapproval

Since you seem to have asked for it, here is the rest of the scene in its complete beauty:

In a tower room, grim and darkling, lighted by the red glow outside. Vader is at home, at ease. He has companions; several small gargoyles that perch or caper on the massive furniture. He is feeding them tid-bits from a golden bowl, enjoying their ugliness and their greed. Abruptly he stiffens. He sweeps the gargoyles aside and stands up, his fists on the table. The gargoyles skitter away, fightened (sic).

:D

(I think I don't have to explain why I had to suppress a giggle or two when I watched the castle scene for the first time...)

11. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    That scene is now more canon to me than the "I am your father" scene.

12. Snax Rebo

Snax Rebo Jedi Knight star 4

Feb 1, 2017
    You aren't alone in laughing when Vader's Castle popped up. Back in the 80s, my Uncle made a "fanfilm" when he was around 8 or 9. This was before the Mcquarrie painting and knowledge of the idea of the Castle were widespread. Anyways, in the film, he wears an ill-fitting toy Vader mask and asks another character to "Meet me at my castle!" He (my uncle) was at the premiere of RO with me and we were filled with pure joy when the castle came on. It's probably my favorite scene in the movie.

The fact that VC is canon now is so great. Even going by kid logic, it makes sense for Vader to have a castle! All the cool bad guys have castles, so why wouldn't Vader?

And these small gargoyle creatures that Vader feeds space-popcorn interest me greatly. It'd be interesting to see how Lucas and the crew would have pulled them off if the scene made it into the final draft.

thejeditraitor and ATMachine like this.
  13. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
    nope.

Gigoran Monk likes this.
  14. Gigoran Monk

Gigoran Monk Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 2, 2016
    Vader in the tank. Sunroof top. Diggin' the scene with a gangster's ease.

15. Lt. Hija

Dec 8, 2015
    Snax Rebo wrote

And these small gargoyle creatures that Vader feeds space-popcorn interest me greatly. It'd be interesting to see how Lucas and the crew would have pulled them off if the scene made it into the final draft.

I don't recall when it was decided to use a lot of stop motion animation as VFX work for ESB (e.g. Tauntaun, Snow Walker, Dagobah flying creatures), but I'm certain that would have been used for these gargoyles, too. IMHO, it would have added a hard to overlook Ray Harryhausen touch to the film, but I guess most of us are relieved that they decided to use stop motion animation VFX for creatures and objects with a more *realistic* feel...

Gigoran Monk, Snax Rebo and ATMachine like this.
  16. Tuskin38

Tuskin38 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 15, 2010

LucasFilm, not Disney.

lucasfilm makes the story decisions.

thejeditraitor likes this.
  17. ATMachine

ATMachine Jedi Master star 4

Feb 27, 2007
    For the moment. Disney could override Lucasfilm's decisions if it wanted to, though. That's the trouble with nested corporate ownership: the parent company has final say, and if they don't feel like granting independence to subsidiaries, that's just too bad.

18. Snax Rebo

Feb 1, 2017
    It's possible the could've done something like Salacious Crumb for the sitting gargoyles and wider shots to allow for the less detailed, stop motion ones to fly away.

Lt. Hija and ATMachine like this.
  19. ATMachine

ATMachine Jedi Master star 4

Feb 27, 2007
    According to The Making of ESB, Lucasfilm actually considered hiring Ray Harryhausen to work on the stop-motion animation in ESB, but decided his techniques were too outdated and unrealistic-looking. Instead ILM animator Phil Tippett came up with his own brand of "go-motion" animation in-house. (Ironically, Tippett later quipped that Jurassic Park's CGI dinosaurs had passed him by as well: "I think I'm extinct.")

Snax Rebo likes this.
  20. Snax Rebo

Feb 1, 2017
    The Dejarik table in ANH always was very Harryhausen-esque to me. Very cool use of stop motion.

Lt. Hija and ATMachine like this.
  21. Ricardo Funes

Ricardo Funes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 18, 2015
    In The Art of Rogue One, there is a two page segment with the castle and MUSTAFAR written in font size 72.

Hard to miss.

themoth and ATMachine like this.
  22. DarthBeagle

DarthBeagle Jedi Grand Master star 2

Nov 24, 2004
    Reminds me of Carry On Follow That Camel.

Now excuse me, I need to go to Mustafaleek

Sent from my SM-A300FU using Tapatalk

Krueger likes this.
  23. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
    they won't.

24. Siphonophore

Siphonophore Chosen One star 4

Nov 13, 2003
    This may have been discussed already, and I might be sounding like Ric Olié, but the shot of Vader striding toward Krennic appears reminiscent of Luke walking in the hallway of Jabba's palace. Vader's door has similar trapezoidal security blocks that we also see on Jabba's front door (although, more solid than Jabba's door blocks).
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

25. Grand Master Galen Marek

Grand Master Galen Marek Jedi Knight star 4

Jun 22, 2014
    To surprise us & to keep it secret.

Gigoran Monk likes this.