main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Rogue One Why was Vader's location not named?

Discussion in 'Anthology' started by Unkar's Muffins, Dec 19, 2016.

1. May_The_Force_Be_With_You

May_The_Force_Be_With_You Jedi Master star 1

Jan 21, 2014
    I too wondered why they didn't name it like they did most of the other worlds... I guess the surprise factor.

2. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
    Having thought about it, I can only come up with the surprise factor. Although, that would have only worked for fans who knew what Mustafar was. And even then, everyone knew Vader was in it.

3. SateleNovelist11

SateleNovelist11 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2015
    It was such a Palpatine thing to do: ordering Vader to live on Mustafar. I'm sure Vader preferred his Vjun castle by a long shot.

Darth Dnej likes this.
  4. Ancient Whills

Ancient Whills Force Ghost star 6

Jun 12, 2011
    I guess they wanted to let people speculate? They're teasing it a lot for future stories.

5. RedVad

RedVad Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 29, 2012
    The other locations shouldn't have been named either.

Star Wars is meant to be visual and if you can't communicate to your audience with just visuals where you are then you are doing it wrong.

6. B99

B99 Force Ghost star 6

Nov 10, 2014
    L.O.L

7. themoth

themoth Force Ghost star 5

Dec 5, 2015
    I just love that introduction to Krennic. Vader's shadow against the wall and then walking out of the mist with the Imperial March playing. It's so theatrical and foreboding. They totally nailed it, to the point it's probably my favourite Vader introduction in the franchise.

8. Vader0706

Vader0706 Jedi Knight star 2

Jan 2, 2017

I totally agree. The camera work and cinematography in that scene is terrific. You see how Vader walks towards Krennic in one long and continuous shot, revealing him more and more. Then he finally "pushes" away that remaining mist with the film fully revealing him in all his glory. It's these small details which I love to observe.

Darth Dnej likes this.
  9. Jim Smith

Jim Smith Jedi Padawan star 1

Apr 5, 2017
    The planet of Lah'mu wasn't named either at the beginning of the movie.

B99 likes this.
  10. StarWarsFreak93

StarWarsFreak93 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 20, 2015
    I'm just curious why Mustafar was more... Cheerful? By that I mean it didn't look as hellish as RotS. Looked too blue, whereas it's been stated the planet is constantly darkened and always just red, orange, black, etc... Maybe the weather was a little better that day, but it looked more like Sullust than Mustafar.

11. Millennium Falcon 888

Millennium Falcon 888 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 6, 2016
    Something like Mordor, which looked so dark and menacing when we first see that godforsaken land just before the end credits of "The Two Towers"... Only to see a place which looked so much better with its clear, grey skies and erupting volcano in "Return of The King"...

I guess that's what happened when we see that shot of Mustafar in Rogue One... It must have been a clear day that moment and which explains why that place wasn't as desolate as what we saw in Revenge of The Sith! :cool:
    [​IMG]

12. Gigoran Monk

Gigoran Monk Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 2, 2016

I believe Gareth was simply fitting Mustafar into the much more realistic aesthetic of Rogue One.

13. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
    Maybe it was on the other end of the planet?

Blue 5 likes this.
  14. Gigoran Monk

Dec 2, 2016

Well, that could be the in-universe reason, yeah. But I'm talking about the rationale for the aesthetic choice.

Also, I believe Pablo (or someone else from LFL) confirmed that Vader's castle is situated in the same spot where Anakin was defeated by Obi-Wan.

Rogue One has a very different visual style from ROTS, so it needed to look different. That's enough for me.

Ricardo Funes likes this.
  15. JoshieHewls

JoshieHewls Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 16, 2013
    Vader's castle seems to be acting partly as a dam, drying out the surrounding area. I think it's less about "realism" and more about functionality of his castle.

Darth Dnej, CT1138 and TCF-1138 like this.
  16. Gigoran Monk

Dec 2, 2016
    That may be the in-universe reason for the modified look. But Gareth was undoubtedly trying to make sure the planet's aesthetic was consistent with the realistic aesthetic of the rest of the film. Mustafar in ROTS looks very cartoonish, as is appropriate in they film. It would have been a very jarring look in Rogue One.

Ricardo Funes likes this.