main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Why was Wolfman removed from ANH?

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by Darthmich, May 11, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darthmich

Darthmich Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 10, 2001
    Just wondering why Wolfman was removed from the cantina scene in the Special Edition of A New Hope.

He was replaced with that CG alien with tusks.

It seems odd to me that Wolfman was the only cantina alien Lucas decided to remove...hmmm

2. Go-Mer-Tonic

Go-Mer-Tonic Jedi Youngling star 6

Aug 22, 1999
    Wolf man was not Lucas' first choice. When they originally shot the cantina scene, they didn't have enough masks to fill out the cantina, so they used masks from other movies, like the wolf man mask.

3. Durwood

Durwood Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 18, 2002
    And, frankly, a static wolfman mask doesn't make for an exciting alien (even if they did give him glowing red eyes).

4. MatthewZ

MatthewZ Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 21, 2003
    Wolfman got his revenge in Clone Wars.

5. Darth-Stryphe

Darth-Stryphe Former Mod and City Rep star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 24, 2001
    Did he? How so?

6. MatthewZ

Sep 21, 2003
    He was fan's choice Jedi in cartoon.

7. Darthmich

Sep 10, 2001
    Yeah, I agree. A static Wolfman face doesn't amount to a good alien...I kind of like the idea of a Wolfman alien though - maybe Lucas could have made the wolf face CG instead of replacing it with an entirely new alien...oh well

8. DarthLassic007

DarthLassic007 Jedi Master star 6

Nov 25, 2002
    A wolfman mask is very generic and unoriginal. Lucas wanted a creature that had neevr been seen before in any movie.

9. AdamBertocci

AdamBertocci Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 3, 2002
    I don't think it was the fact that it was a wolfman that bothered him so much, just the fact that this exact mask had been used in other movies already.

Rick McCallum loves you!

10. qui-gon-kim

qui-gon-kim Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 19, 2001
    maybe Lucas could have made the wolf face CG instead of replacing it with an entirely new alien...oh well

We've already seen a CG wolfman in Van Helsing. :D

11. OBIX1

OBIX1 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 7, 2002
    Yeah,George Lucas thought that a wolfman was really un-original,and desided to replace him with Ketwol in the SE's. :)

12. Orionsangel

Orionsangel Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 11, 2004
    Wolfman wasn't the only alien replaced. I can't recall at the moment what other alien was replaced, it was another real goofy one that didn't fit and looked cheap, but I do remember the CG alien that replaced him, a gator lookin alien wearing a red hat sippin a drink. oh wait, I think this alien was also used to cover another wolfman shot. I'm confused.

13. -_-_-_-_-_-

-_-_-_-_-_- Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 28, 2002
    Wolfman got his revenge in Clone Wars.

Agreed.

14. openmind

openmind Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 23, 2003
    I didn't find the "bat guy" that original either 8-}

15. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Fun sidenote- the two new aliens added to the cantina are actually the same puppet, only reversed.

16. MatthewZ

Sep 21, 2003
    I think Wolfman and Devil guy w/ horns were the two replaced.

17. 4LOM

4LOM Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 9, 2004
    There seems to be some wolfman confusion. I hate when that happens. Allow me to clear this up.

The new CG aliens, Tusk-face and Alligator Man (hey, that's what they would have been called in the 1980s! I don't need no Pwo'wot K'tool or any other lame name for MY Star Wars aliens...the old school ways are the best. LONG LIVE WALRUS MAN AND PRUNE FACE!!!:) ) do indeed replace TWO wolfman shots.

One used to be a wolfman silouhette, the one with red eyes, who we see just after he finished taking a drink of his amaretto sour or whatever the heck he's drinking. This guy, in the EU, is one of the Defel, or 'Wraiths' who appear as living shadows when not under ultraviolet light.

The other was a wolfman who we saw from the side, sitting at a table with that lamprey-thing with a freaky monk-looking dude in the background. THIS wolfman is a Shivastanean Wolfman (or something like that) and this particular specimen was a scout for the rebel alliance and in a story that conjures mental images that we are all much better without, falls in love and starts a relationship with the lamprey-thing.

Devil-Horns Face is still in the Special Edition, in all his devilish glory, cackling away like he just heard the one about the rabbi, the Wookie, and Porky Pig all walking into a bar.

18. midthomp

midthomp Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 30, 2003
    Wolfman was the best alien in the whole movie.

19. Darth-Horax

Darth-Horax Force Ghost star 6

Aug 22, 2001
    Damn Lucas, you hack! ;)

20. DarthLassic007

Nov 25, 2002
    The other alien that was replaced was a Defel.

21. darkcide

darkcide Jedi Master star 4

Jun 17, 2003
    Maybe Lon Chaney Jr. wanted the mask back.

22. ObiwanJohn

ObiwanJohn Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 12, 2003
    Well put 4LOM.

It's kind of odd. He's one of the most talked about obscure Star Wars characters and but that species hasn't become big in the EU, like say Biths or Quarren or Ithorians. They're everywhere! Come to think of it did they ever make this guy into an action figure? They made that silly Elephant-Man into one. If they haven't maybe we should get this one going as a Fan's choice action figure. Maybe even the Jedi from the Clone Wars, which I voted for by the way. :D

23. Darthmich

Sep 10, 2001
    Yes, they make an action figure of Wolfman...I guess his name is Lak Sivrak...it comes as a 2-figure pack and includes that lamprey thing that he was staring at in the cantina

I don't think they've made a figure of the wolfman jedi from the Clone Wars cartoon...at least not yet

24. DarthLassic007

Nov 25, 2002
    (EU). The Lamprey dies in Echo Base at the Battle of Hoth. And the wolfman dies at the Battle of Endor when he gets shot down but a TIE fighter.

25. DamonD

DamonD Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 22, 2002
    The Wolfman species is a Shivi....Shiv, Shivivivisisis...someone help me out here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.