main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CT Why was Yoda so weak?

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by Dark Ferus, Sep 30, 2016.

1. moreorless12

moreorless12 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 4, 2016
    I tend to agree with Kuro's point about the lightsaber and Yoda's general physicality but I would add as well that I think the character in ESB/ROTJ is also strongly linked to his home and is much less effective removed from it in the prequels. Just as Luke is expecting a great warrior he's also likely expecting such a person to live in a grand location, maybe some kind of temple, What we actually see in that Yoda lives in a fashion that's humble plus both surrounded by and in tune with nature. I think it was easy to believe that Yoda wasn't just "in hiding" on Dagobah but might always(well since becoming a Jedi trainer) have lived there or somewhere similar exactly because it was the ideal location in which to train people.

To me the impression of the Jedi from the OT is more akin to say Gandalf in Lord of the Rings, wise and powerful sages working more behind the scenes and outside the establishment in order to best help. What we got in the PT ironically reminded me much more of Saruman with the Jedi having a centre of power and a more active stake in politics, indeed the Jedi temple itself seems to bear a slight resembalance to Orthanc with its 4 towers.

I can kind of see why Lucas went down this road as it does obviously put the Jedi in a more questionable position and means for example that Palpatines false claims that they've looked to cease power much easier to buy. Still though I think the prequels would have been better off not paying as much attention to politics just as the OT didn't and instead looked to focus on Anakins fall.

PaulWrightyThen and Sarge like this.
  2. Nehru_Amidala

Nehru_Amidala Force Ghost star 7

Oct 3, 2016
    Seriously? Yoda barely survived going toe to toe with Palpatine and spent the last 20 years of life hiding out so he pass on his knowledge to Luke. He was exhausted but could not pass on until he had given what he knew of the Jedi Arts to Luke. Granted, he was still a kick ass Jedi Master but he was ready to become one with the Force.

3. PaulWrightyThen

PaulWrightyThen Jedi Knight star 2

Jan 11, 2016
    You could almost imagine Yoda being like the mystic 'atop the mountain' that Jedi had to reach. Better than boarding school. IMO :)

4. Nehru_Amidala

Nehru_Amidala Force Ghost star 7

Oct 3, 2016