main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Why wasn't Yoda more aggressive?

Discussion in 'Archive: Revenge of the Sith' started by LilBastardAnakin, Jun 16, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth_Sideous

Darth_Sideous Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 24, 2004
    Yeh ya heard me Yoda was scared of Sidious.

Well, we've all seen the OT: Yoda is in hiding, and Sidious has supreme power in the galaxy.

What did people think would happen during their confrontation?

2. D_Lowe

D_Lowe Jedi Knight star 6

Aug 15, 2002
    Why wasn't Yoda more aggressive?

Because being aggressive is a Dark Side trait.

3. Kenobis_Babe

Kenobis_Babe Jedi Grand Master star 2

Jun 9, 2002
    Speaking of that though, and not saying Yoda was using the dark side; it was interesting that at the beginning of their lightsaber duel, it was Yoda on the offense who struck at Sidious first.

4. Jedi-Master-Vader

Jedi-Master-Vader Jedi Grand Master star 1

Jan 29, 2003
    Obi-Wan got very agressive and tapped into the dark side in an attempt to defeat Darth Maul and look where it got him. Dangling for his life staring down at doom. It was only when he came to his senses and let go of his hate, did he overcome the Dark Lord.

5. voodoopuuduu

voodoopuuduu Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 22, 2004
    Palps had nude posters of Yaddle in his office which distracted Yoda. :p

6. darthsith19

darthsith19 Jedi Master star 4

May 23, 2004
    He wanted a fair fight? I don't know, good question, probably the same reason Sidious didn't attack Yoda as soon as he zapped him or why he didn't keep zapping him.

7. CIDLORD

CIDLORD Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 6, 2001

No way Yoda could be more aggressive.

"A Jedi uses the force for knowledge and defense, never for attack."

Period.

8. chiss_man

chiss_man Jedi Master star 6

Jul 1, 2002
    Because the movie audience wants to see Yoda trash talk a little...:p

No, it's what has been said already numerous times here in this thread. If Yoda did that, he would be giving in to his agressive feelings, which is of the Dark Side. He only threw Sidious back with the Force to show him that he was powerful as well, and that Sidious would be in for a fight against him. Much of the fight was spent with Yoda defending himself, like a true Jedi, not attacking like Sidious did.

9. Charn

Charn Jedi Master star 8

Dec 23, 2004
  10. jedi_master_ousley

jedi_master_ousley Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2002
    Once he showed Palpatine that he was powerful enough to give him a run for his money, he didn't need to be agressive at all. The Jedi way is to put oneself on the defensive end of things, not to be the agressor. Force-pushing Palpatine seemed to be a defensive move of itself - it gave Yoda a bit of extra time to stand up and reorient himself before being thrust into battle.

11. simon-the-ewok

simon-the-ewok Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 21, 2005
    Is a Jedi ever suppossed to be aggressive? Although Yoda could have been, considering that Sidious was the man that the Jedi were trying to kill for a long time.

12. DeadDooku

DeadDooku Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 7, 2005
    I would have liked to have seen Sidious's face if Yoda DID turn to the Dark Side. IMO Yoda would be invincible if he did and Sidious, Anakin whoever would have been toast

13. Kenobis_Babe

Kenobis_Babe Jedi Grand Master star 2

Jun 9, 2002
    Well that's what I was talking about in my last post. What does everyone think about after the force push, when Sidious was trying to make a run for it. Yoda makes his wisecrack about if you're so big and bad, why you tryin to leave. :D But then he's the one that makes the first move in the actual lightsaber duel. He charges right over Sids head and takes a swipe at him.

I'm not complaining in the least, because I think it's exactly what he should do, but can that be construed as being aggressive?

14. --Skywalker--

--Skywalker-- Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 3, 2004
    why didnt he jump right over and go on the offense? Looked like the hood was over Sids head too. Would of been a perfect time to go into attack mode and simply finish the job GET R DUN YODA!!

now THAT is a cheap shot.
    and agression leads to the darkside

15. yellow_command535

yellow_command535 Jedi Youngling

Jun 16, 2005
    He already new that Skywalker forgot to shut off the droid army and that yellow commander was coming to help out with 9999999999999999999999999999999999999999 droids.

GO YELLOW COMMANDER YOUR MY HERO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

16. TheCRZA

TheCRZA Jedi Padawan star 4

May 29, 2005
    Being on the offense and being aggresive are not the same thing.

Offense is a tactic, aggression is a mindset.

"Speaking of that though, and not saying Yoda was using the dark side; it was interesting that at the beginning of their lightsaber duel, it was Yoda on the offense who struck at Sidious first."

Sidious had also just commanded the slaughter of the entire jedi order en masse. Not to
    mention that he very personally put Yoda on his kiester with force lightning.

I would argue that pretty much any act taken by Yoda at that point
    could be construed as self defense.

17. Darth_Seer

Darth_Seer Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 27, 2004
    Obi-Wan and Yoda should have both confronted Palpatine, as I don't think he would have stood a chance against the two greatest Jedi. Theres something to be said for having confidence in one's abilities. Even if the two had lost, Anakin wouldn't have had the lava accident, and he would have been able to overthrow the emperor (which was certainly his intention) and fulfill the prophecy. Then Padme wouldn't have died, and things might have turned out better. Sending Obi-Wan to Mustafar was, in my opinion, the worst outcome, as it indirectly killed Padme and resulted in Vader's lava accident, which reduced him to a crippled man incapable of killing the Emperor.

18. fettmaster39

fettmaster39 Jedi Master star 3

Jun 9, 2005
    WHY WASN'T YODA MORE AGGRESIVE?

maybe because he's over 870 years old!!!!!

19. D_Lowe

D_Lowe Jedi Knight star 6

Aug 15, 2002
    "Anger, fear, AGGRESSION, Dark Side are they."
    --Master Yoda

20. Darth_Patton00

Darth_Patton00 Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 9, 2005
    yep and Yoda didn't lose in the end either. All he had to do was get back up and keep fighting. Instead he got back up and ran away.

But Yoda still rulz

21. LittleGreenManYoda

LittleGreenManYoda Jedi Youngling star 3

May 26, 2005
    Well, we've all seen the OT: Yoda is in hiding, and Sidious has supreme power in the galaxy.

Oh and you wouldnt be hiding from over thousands of Storm Troopers Sidous was Supreme power just because his army.

Why wasnt Yoda more aggressive well when your almost 900 years old I dont think you can get more aggressive than what Yoda was pushing out. I really dont think there was a victor it was a tie they were both about equal.

22. Lixsta

Lixsta Jedi Youngling star 2

May 21, 2005
    They maybe equal power but Yoda did retreat, thus he is the loser

23. qui-gon-kim

qui-gon-kim Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 19, 2001
    Both combatants lose out on opportunities here to talk crap or in Sidious case to laughing at Yoda. Sidious could have kept shocking Yoda when he was down instead of talking trash too.

"Oh, ho ho! You sly dog! You caught me monologuing!" :p

24. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001

Except Anakin killing Palpatine after turning evil wouldn't bring balance to the Force, because he'd still be evil. Anakin had turned by the time he fought Obi-wan. However, because of his injuries, it set the stage for Anakin's redemption and the fulfilling of the Prophecy.

25. Darth-Trepidor

Darth-Trepidor Jedi Youngling star 3

May 10, 2005
    I will NEVER believe it would have been Anakin's intention to "overthrow" Palpatine. Because he wants to "learn" Palpatine's so-called abilities through the Sith and Palpatine would have been smart enough to keep that infor FROM Anakin.
    Vader also told Luke that the both of them could "destroy" the Emperor and rule the galaxy. Only, when he had his chance in ROTJ, he didn't do it at ALL! He PROTECTED Palpatine. He was committed to his master and would do ANYTHING for him, until he saw his son suffering.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.