main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Why were Gungans taken prisoner @ Battle of Naboo?

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Jorge_Lucas, Apr 15, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jorge_Lucas

Jorge_Lucas Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 16, 2004
    Lord Sidious clearly said, "Wipe them out...ALL OF THEM!" to his Trade Federation lackeys. So why did the battle droids take Jar Jar and other Gungans prisoner near the end of the battle? They should've been killed on the spot (besides for the theatrical reason that you don't kill off Jar Jar).

2. BothofUs

BothofUs Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 5, 2003
    Maybe they were going to use them to bargain with and then kill them.

3. Jorge_Lucas

Jul 16, 2004
    To bargain for what, though? I mean, in their eyes, the Battle Droids/Trade Federation won the land battle. They were winning the space battle, too, until Anakin destroyed their ship.

But the Gungans had retreated and lost before the droids lost power.

Oh wait, I just had an idea....I forgot that they were forcing the Gungans to pick up the broken droid pieces and make neat piles. I guess they were captured for slave labor in order to perform post-battle clean up.

But that still goes against Sidious' order. He didn't say, "Wipe them out, but first pick up your mess, because we don't want to be known as the Sloppy Blockade!"

4. hear+soul

hear+soul Jedi Master star 6

Nov 5, 2004
    the battles were irrelevant as actual battles. They were distractions.

That's it. Sure, they wanted to win, but I doubt very seriously that they thought they would.

As to why they didn't die: I have no clue. I think that's one of those things you're not supposed to notice.

Of course, Jar Jar and Tarpals were generals and the TF was having trouble finding the under water cities, so maybe they were going to interrogate them.

5. Jorge_Lucas

Jul 16, 2004
    I seriously doubt that, Darth D. How were the droids supposed to know who were generals and who were the ones to be "wiped out?"

Nah, Sidious gave specific orders to KEA (Metallica reference for your head-bangers!). I'm sticking with my We Need Slave Labor For Post-Battle Clean Up theory. ;)

And yes, I know the land battle was a distraction and the gungans knew they were going to die. I don't know where in my post you got the impression that I didn't get the point of the battle.

6. hear+soul

hear+soul Jedi Master star 6

Nov 5, 2004
    I don't think that's it.

1) Why would the droids care if the plains were messy? What reason would make them want to clean it up?

2) Droids would clean up much faster than a few gungans. I doubt gungans can put blown up tanks in the trash. Th edroids peobably have some big machine that scoops everything up, if they clean up at all.

3) Honestly, it was just an error. You weren't supposed to notice that. Of course, Nute could have not told teh droids to wipe them all out. They could have just been programmed to run basic military procedures. The order didn't go directly to the droids from Sids.

7. Jorge_Lucas

Jul 16, 2004
    OK, now you've totally lost me. If it weren't for the fact I started this thread, I wouldn't even know what movie you're talking about.

At the end of the battle, we can CLEARLY se the droids forcing Gungans to clean up and make piles out of the droids "killed" in the battle. We were meant to see it. The droids were forcing Gungans that surrendered to do their clean up work.

Gunray most likely did not repeat word-for-word Sid's order of "Wipe them out, all of them." But it seems pretty clear to me: take no prisoners. I suppose they were planning to kill them once clean up was finished.

Go back and watch the movie one more time. Please don't post here again until you have.

8. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    The movie, to me at least, shows the droids rounding them up so they can have mass wipeouts of the gungans.

Watch right before the droids shut down. It looks to me like they're ready to gun them down.

9. Go-Mer-Tonic

Go-Mer-Tonic Jedi Youngling star 6

Aug 22, 1999
    It's just easier to let them surrender and then kill them.

10. LeeKenobi

LeeKenobi Jedi Knight star 6

Aug 13, 2002
    Slave labor.

Or rounding them up for executions.

11. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    Slave labor.

Hmm...[face_thinking]

12. anidanami124

anidanami124 Jedi Master star 6

Aug 24, 2002
    The movie, to me at least, shows the droids rounding them up so they can have mass wipeouts of the gungans.

Watch right before the droids shut down. It looks to me like they're ready to gun them down.

You adn LeeKenobi both are right in that it could be to use them for Slave Labor, or just to kill them all at once.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.