main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Why were NJO wiped out? How should NSLJO devlop?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by StarWarsFan91, May 27, 2017.

1. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    As someone who has been a French language teacher...in a class in which one of the students is actively opposed to learning the French language and somehow manages to destroy the ability of any other student in the class to learn the French language (can't think of an equivalent here to murdering all the other students), then no, the teacher is not a failure.

There is some obligation to inspire and sell students on why they should learn something but the students also bear the responsibility for putting forth an effort.

Luke could not open Kylo's brain and pour Jedi morals into it.

ChildOfWinds and Jedi Ben like this.
  2. Darth_Duck

Darth_Duck Chosen One star 5

Oct 13, 2000
    Maybe the Jedi are just trapped in the same cycle Bruce Springsteen is in Atlantic City:
    "Everything dies, baby, that's a fact.
    But maybe everything that dies someday comes back"

Sent from my SM-G386W using Tapatalk

3. jamminjedi23

jamminjedi23 Jedi Master star 5

Feb 19, 2015
    We really don't know much at all about what went down. All we know are a few vague lines from a man that wasn't there. I imagine there will wind up being a whole lot more to the story than what we have right now.

4. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Starting a Jedi Order from scratch won't be easy. Some losses are to be expected. But the whole Order? Why would the TPTB allow that?

5. MartyAvidianus

MartyAvidianus Jedi Padawan star 3

May 14, 2017
    Well think who in Tahiri's Veila's class survived? Valin and Jysella, can't think of anyone else.

6. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    Well, it makes it sound kind of harsh to label you a failure, but it doesn't really change that you failed to build what you were trying to build. If Luke's goal was to build a new Jedi Order, and there is no new Jedi Order, then Luke failed to achieve his goal. It may not be his fault (though, you know, it is his fault that he doesn't appear to have trained anybody since then), but he's still failed at his life's mission.

7. MartyAvidianus

May 14, 2017
    <Yoda> when gone am I, the last of the Jedi will you be, pass down what you have learned </yoda>

sigh

In the EU it took a whole fleet of yuuzhan vong to destroy most of the Jedi, now all it took was half a dozen knights of ren....

8. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Even the Vong only managed a 50% hit rate over 5 years on the Jedi.

9. Nobody145

Nobody145 Force Ghost star 5

Feb 9, 2007
    I'm hoping that they didn't just wipe out the Jedi (again) so as to recycle the OT story, just substituting Rey and Luke for the Luke and Yoda roles. I really hope its not just for that, but I'm kind of expecting it, unfortunately.

Hopefully we'll get more details about how and why it happened. I'm leaning towards the "Luke was on a trip and Kylo went crazy" backstory, as the most simple version, even if it is kind of stupid. At least when the old Jedi Order fell, it took a galactic war, basically the ultimate Sith Lord and hundreds of clones to bring down the Jedi. Well, Luke hadn't gotten that far yet, but I hope his students put up a fight at least.

Gamiel likes this.
  10. StarWarsFan91

StarWarsFan91 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 14, 2008
    I don't want a future Jedi order reaching Old Order size, but I'm hoping Disney increases the Jedi numbers. I would be happy with at least 100 well trained Knights. Unfortuntly their is a chance the Jedi will gain more then 2 members but not increase that much. Like a Jedi of the Round Table. With the powers that be keeping to that amount. If that is what to come, then it furthers my want in a nu ToR era. That way we could see the Jedi with large numbers while winning wars. A generation that doesn't deal with close to extinction. But not only should we see Jedi of the past and far future succeeding against evil, the NSLJO members should later be shown to saving innocents and other good actions before their demise. Would be a mistake to have Luke's students stay away from all galactic affairs.

11. MartyAvidianus

May 14, 2017
    the key word here is before their demise.
    what the?
    there is no hope. We'll get to episode 9 and rey is victorious. but in episode 10 all of her students will be dead and she with them.

12. Coherent Axe

Coherent Axe Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 20, 2016
    An Arthurian-style Jedi Order would be lovely, actually. A select few protectors of peace and justice, going back to the old idea of a Watchman guarding a single planet.

13. Jedi Master Scorpio

Jedi Master Scorpio Star Wars Television star 5 Staff Member Manager

Oct 24, 2015
    That does sound kinda cool. Like a Green Latern Corps type of policy.

I was thinking that in the future it would be rather cool to see a Rebuilt Jedi Order with a complete 12 Member Council. However the difference that I thought of was instead of all the Jedi Masters being congregated in one place, perhaps they could rebuild oh 12 Jedi Temples and each Jedi Master of the Council could be in Charge of His/Her own Temple. They could train/recruit the whole nine yards.

Could also be seen as a contingency plan that way not all the Masters are at risk of getting taken out ala order 66. As far as communication goes, well Holovid mainly, but they would indeed meet from time to time.

Darkslayer and Kylun like this.
  14. BobaMatt

BobaMatt TFN EU Staff star 7 VIP

Aug 19, 2002
    This is not even slightly similar to what I said or to what happened to Luke!
    The way the story pans out in TFA doesn't make things very similar to ANH at all, though - it seems to have a lot more to do with the trajectory of The Last Jedi, if the trailer is any indication.

15. StarWarsFan91

StarWarsFan91 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 14, 2008
    I wonder what the relationship Lukes students had with lightsabers. I suspect that unlike the Old Order, sabers didn't play as much of an importance, with some students not having any. It would also make it easier for Kylo and co to kill them.

Though if sabers were not some requirement, im sure their were some students who wielded them (whether making their own or acquiring old blades). With Ben solo being one of them.

What if he was the previous user of Anakin's lightsaber. Sometime in his travels Luke reacquired it (would be interesting if Luke came across other old blades in his journeys) and later gave it to Ben.

In skywalker tradition he loses the saber. He did tell Rey that saber belonged to him. Possibly it meant more then him being a vader fanboy.

16. SpecForce Trooper

SpecForce Trooper Jedi Master star 4

Jun 19, 2016
    If the NuNJO aren't explored in any major stories, they might be unarmed. However, if they are featured prominently in a story, especially a TV show, I guarantee you they will have lightsabers. Pacifists don't sell.

Revanfan1, Darth_Pevra and Vialco like this.
  17. Jeff_Ferguson

Jeff_Ferguson Force Ghost star 5

May 15, 2006
    The films are what are guiding the new canon. Luke rebuilding the Jedi Order is a big deal --- of course they want to depict it on screen. Thirty years later was the best time in which to set the sequel trilogy so that familiar faces could return, and the only realistic way they could have Luke begin to rebuild the order from scratch all those years after Jedi was to have him have tried once already, failed, and then gone into hiding. It also gives some badguy cred to Kylo.

There are also the issues already brought up in this thread already abput Luke having a functioning Jedi Order in the sequel trilogy making it too similar to the prequels, which was a direction they most definitely didn't want for Episode VII. It's too early to thematically categorize the sequel trilogy as a whole, but I do like Darth Philosopher's speculation here:

DarthPhilosopher likes this.
  18. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    The NuJo was wiped out because they were arrogant, complacent and blind.

Arthurian, eh? Looking forward to Luke's knights killing each other pretty much down to the last man, because Luke's best friend and fellow knight had an affair with Luke's wife, and Luke killing and being killed by the son he had with Leia. It'll be awesome and totally Star Wars.

Gamiel, Darkslayer, Revanfan1 and 4 others like this.
  19. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Oh hell. [face_laugh]

As far as lightsabers, if Luke went looking for the first Jedi Temple and actually found it, it's possible he found a ****load of kyber crystals.

20. Vialco

Vialco Force Ghost star 5

Mar 6, 2007
    They can, for short arcs. But it's called Star Wars for a reason. This is what happens to pacifists in the SW Galaxy.

[​IMG]

They lose their planet. They lose their throne. Their entire life's work is undone. And then they lose their life.

SpecForce Trooper likes this.
  21. MartyAvidianus

May 14, 2017
    why would the lightsabers be lying around in the first jedi temple? wouldn't the 501st and the vader clean up the battlefields and collected them? where did the sabers on grievous came from, if not from them?

anyway, building a lightsaber was (unless the NEU changed it) always a vital step of getting your jedi knighthood. If you just picked up a lightsaber you can't call yourself a jedi knight (a sith maybe)

22. jamminjedi23

jamminjedi23 Jedi Master star 5

Feb 19, 2015
    If it is one of the first jedi temples the Empire likely wouldn't have even had record of it.

23. Vialco

Vialco Force Ghost star 5

Mar 6, 2007

Actually, we learn in Catalyst that most of the lightsabers of the ten thousand Jedi Knights that were killed during Order 66 and Operation Knightfall were disassembled by the Empire and their Kyber Crystals were used for superlaser researches that eventually led to the creation of the Death Star. Palpatine and Vader may have kept a few as trophies, but most of the lightsabers of the Old Jedi Order are gone.

24. MartyAvidianus

May 14, 2017
    ten thousand jedi knight?

oh man, why didn't they just assemble a Jedi division and don't use a single clone, and just transport said division one system at a time to defeat the separatists?

---

I think the NEU NJO should take a page from the Sith, one apprentice per master, like the fibonnaci numbers. A single Jedi master should only train one student at any given time. In case that jedi apprentice turn to the dark side, the master shouuld redeem/kill that student and so on.

festina lente vir.

25. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    Because it's a galaxy of untold trillions of people? And that's a laughably conservative estimate, in itself. 10,000 is an infinitesimal number in the grand scheme of things.