1. A Warning For Everyone To See:

PT vs. OT vs. ST vs. Anthology (in any combination) debates are not allowed in the New Movies forums. Discussions that descend into OT/PT/ST/Anthology bashing/gushing will be subject to Mod action. Consider this your warning.

Rogue One Why were the Cantina criminals on Jedha?

Discussion in 'Rogue One: A Star Wars Story' started by Bob the X-Winger, Apr 19, 2017.

1. Bob the X-Winger Jedi Padawan

star 2
    It just came to me, nice as it was to show the partners in crime in RO stopping off in the ancient city before heading to Tatooine what where they doing there? Robbing the joint.
  2. vncredleader Jedi Knight

star 4
    Doing terrible, immoral surgeries on people. They are responsible for stuff like the decraniated.
    CT1138 likes this.
  3. I Are The Internets Force Ghost

star 8
    Isn't it obvious?

They are the Senate.
    Sarge and Snafu55 like this.
  4. Bob the X-Winger Jedi Padawan

star 2

I just have to say i love the quote from Wedge
    Snafu55 and vncredleader like this.
  5. ForcePushUp Jedi Youngling

star 1
  6. CT1138 Jedi Master

star 4
    You don't get the death sentence on 12 systems by hanging around the Tatooine bars.
  7. Oswin Oswald Jedi Youngling

star 1
    Earning death sentences on different worlds takes a lot of frequent flyer miles.
  8. A Chorus of Disapproval New Films Fearless Vampire Killer

Manager
    star 8
    "You just watch yourself! We have the death sentence on 12 systems. Well... technically, it is only 11, now..."
  9. B99 Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Hitting all the top rated cantinas in the galaxy..
  10. Gigoran Monk Jedi Master

star 4
  11. PymParticles Force Ghost

star 5
    The canon reason is Dr. Evazan (the guy with the messed up nose) was performing illegal surgery on all those people walking around without the tops of their heads. He was basically turning them into mindless drone slaves.

I suspect the real reason is something like, A New Hope is Gareth Edward's favorite movie (not just his favorite Star Wars movie, he's called it his "favorite movie of all time") and he likes those characters, so he threw them in there for nostalgia's sake because when would he ever get a chance to film them again in his life?
    Pro Scoundrel and Gigoran Monk like this.
  12. Jester J Binks Jedi Knight

star 3
    Brilliant answer.
    Cantina Regular, Martoto77 and CT1138 like this.
  13. themoth Jedi Master

star 4
    In my mind, they were in the process of leaving Jedha when we see them, and they leave straight away - on their way to Tattooine. That's the only answer that makes any sense.
  14. Martoto77 Jedi Knight

star 4
    Yeah like other folk have said. How on earth do people look askance at the notion of people being seeing on two different systems in the space of a few days, when the character they are referring to is introduced to us claiming to already have the death penalty on twelve systems?

I guess maybe if George Lucas gets a shot at making special editions he'll replace the dialogue that's in the film with Dr Evazan saying, something like "Hey. I'm just on my way to board a shuttle to go to Tatooine on the outer rim for. Inform the barman at the Mos Eisely cantina to prepare me a drink for my arrival." and then add shots of Dr Evazan entering a shuttle. The shuttle flying through space. The shuttle landing on Tatooine. And Dr Evazan leaving the shuttle. It's the only way to expect an audience to understand and accept a character being in two different locations at two different times.
    ZodaEX, SunnyNelson, themoth and 2 others like this.
  15. Blue 5 Jedi Padawan

star 2
    He had a death sentence there and had to get out ASAP
  16. DARTH_BELO Jedi Grand Master

star 4
    They would've had to leave in a hurry for sure-I mean like, literally being on their way to a ship out of there, when they bumped into Jyn.

Maybe that's why he was so pissed at her bumping him: The atmosphere in Jedha City was clearly reaching a boiling point at that moment what with the increased imperial presence, leading up to Saw's fighter's attack. I'm sure those guys would not have been wanting to be stuck in the middle of all that and risk being exposed.
    Last edited by DARTH_BELO, Apr 21, 2017
    themoth and Sarge like this.
  17. Cantina Regular Jedi Knight

star 1
    In the Visual Guide it's heavily implied that Dr. Evazan was performing immoral experimental surgeries on war victims
    thejeditraitor and themoth like this.
  18. ewoksimon Jedi Master

star 4
    Because nostalgia.
    SunnyNelson and Sarge like this.
  19. Smellmet Jedi Youngling

This was the only cameo/easter egg I didn't care for in the film. Sure it was nice and nostalgic to see them again but there really was no justification for seeing them was there? They were just shoehorned in for the sake of it. That being said it was over in a couple of seconds and didn't spoil my enjoyment of the movie at all.
    ZodaEX likes this.
  20. Martoto77 Jedi Knight

star 4
    Does it need justification?
  21. Smellmet Jedi Youngling

Well... yeah, it does, otherwise you're just into winking at the audience territory. Were they integral to the plot in any way, shape or form? No. They were there just so the producers could go 'hey remember these guys?'
  22. Martoto77 Jedi Knight

star 4
    There are lots of things on the screen at any one time that is not integral to the plot in any way shape or form. The fact that Dr Evazan and Ponda Baba are conspicuous to fans of ANH does not mean it requires justification.

Here's justification anyway. Jyn and Cassian are in a new location. The behaviours of Dr Evazan illustrate what kind of place Jedha can be to hang out in. i,e. hostile. It helps set the scene. It could have been any two reprobates.

The fact that it is those two adds another dimension which can be appreciated by series fans. The next time we see those two act like tough guys, a Jedi knight is going to sort them right out.

This notion that anything not absolutely necessary is improper is taking things too far. And it only matters to people who recognise them as who they are.
    Last edited by Martoto77, Apr 24, 2017
  23. Smellmet Jedi Youngling

I'm all for little nods and callbacks, but this just stuck out too much to me. It still made me smile though, so job done on the producers parts.
  24. Darth__Lobot Jedi Master

star 4
    Maybe Jedha was system 11 out of 12.... Honestly that's the RIGHT way to do nostalgia callbacks. The scene only lasted a few seconds, wasn't anything that would bother or confuse casual fans and wasn't really anything more than a quick easter egg. There's no de-mystification of the characters, no weird plot holes, etc. etc.
  25. EHT New Films Manager

Manager
    star 7
    ^ Exactly. That's why it didn't bother me at all either. And if they're on their way to their ride off of Jedha when we see them, it makes perfect sense that they could survive the DS attack and be in the cantina on Tattooine when we get there later in ANH.
    Force Smuggler and TCF-1138 like this.