main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Rogue One Why were the Cantina criminals on Jedha?

Discussion in 'Anthology' started by Bob the X-Winger, Apr 19, 2017.

1. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    I like their cameo. It's short and fun.

2. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    It in no way ruined the movie for me but I do wish it hadn't have been included. I like the backstory that they created for it but it just feels like too much of a coincidence for me.

Avnar and SpecForce Trooper like this.
  3. Ricardo Funes

Ricardo Funes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 18, 2015
    As someone said, you don't get death sentences in dozens of star systems if you stay in the same place.

4. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007

You just watch yourself!

[​IMG]

BigAl6ft6, MeBeJedi, Blue 5 and 3 others like this.
  5. Oswin Oswald

Oswin Oswald Jedi Knight star 2

Apr 16, 2017

Who'd trust a guy with an eye like that to do surgery?

BigAl6ft6 and Lt. Hija like this.
  6. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    That's not an issue, he operates with his eyes closed.

BigAl6ft6 and Pensivia like this.
  7. SunnyNelson

SunnyNelson Jedi Master star 1

Dec 23, 2013
    Not if you saw Rogue One before seeing A New Hope.

MeBeJedi, Jim Smith and Gigoran Monk like this.
  8. darthOB1

darthOB1 Force Ghost star 5

Mar 22, 2000
    Jedda was where the action was. The opportunity to steal,smuggle kyber crystal would attract all kinds of scum and villainy

Ricardo Funes likes this.
  9. SpecForce Trooper

SpecForce Trooper Jedi Master star 4

Jun 19, 2016
    Fanservice.

10. ZodaEX

ZodaEX Jedi Knight star 1

Sep 27, 2015

But what was the in universe reason?

11. SpecForce Trooper

SpecForce Trooper Jedi Master star 4

Jun 19, 2016
    Business to be done. Who knows, really?

12. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    It's a shame they didn't like Luke. Their ship clearly would have been as fast as Kenobi was looking for. :p

BigAl6ft6, Pensivia, B3 and 1 other person like this.
  13. Darth Chuck Norris

Darth Chuck Norris Jedi Master star 4

Sep 13, 2014
    Well..........Much like happened to me years ago after a long night of drinking and waking up in Milwaukee and having no idea how I got there, these two partied hard on Tatooine and woke up on Jedha, and had no clue how they got here.

14. TheRebelFleet

TheRebelFleet Jedi Padawan

Apr 21, 2017
    I agree. It feels so out of place, but then gets back with the whole city.

15. Gigoran Monk

Gigoran Monk Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 2, 2016
    IMO, that moment and the 3PO/R2 cameo (which I think would have been much better at the end of the film, with the camera simply passing by them in the Tantive IV hallway and them not saying anything), were the only two missteps in the film.

Avnar likes this.
  16. Blue 5

Blue 5 Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 6, 2017
    They got off lucky...Stardust was about to whip out her baton and give a beatdown.

Obi-Wan handled things a few days later lol.

BigAl6ft6 and Sarge like this.
  17. starwarsfan54

starwarsfan54 Jedi Knight star 1

May 29, 2017
    because fanservice.

18. darthOB1

darthOB1 Force Ghost star 5

Mar 22, 2000
    All LFL needs to do is show them enter a ship and then show that same ship enter mos eisley as Luke and Ben are on the overlook....

19. TheRebelFleet

TheRebelFleet Jedi Padawan

Apr 21, 2017
    Actually I liked R2 and 3PO cameo. Short and simple and actually made sense.

20. Gigoran Monk

Gigoran Monk Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 2, 2016
    Don't get me wrong. It's not really a problem for me. It's just not as perfect as the rest of the film. :)

21. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    Yeah, I actually love the droids cameo.
    Overall, I guess I don't mind that kind of "fan service".

22. AndyLGR

AndyLGR Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 1, 2014
    Unecessary fan service I guess, much like the close up of blue milk, or the training orb in TFA.

23. Lt. Hija

Lt. Hija Jedi Master star 4

Dec 8, 2015
    Almost as bad as the obvious fan service is the fact that the new actor hardly resembles the original one:

[​IMG]

versus

[​IMG]

=

[​IMG]

(Alfie Curtis)

In contrast look at the probe droid that passes in the background of the streets of Jedha (I missed it the first two times), now that was George Lucas style, putting things in the background that didn't cry for attention.

(would have loved to see a probe droid in action in RO...)

24. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    The bit with their cameo that my brain shortcircuits over is that they clearly start their next appearance aboard the ship that was docked in the one which should have been the very first one to take off. This is after Raddus has "returned to his ship. He's going to fight" and we see multiple squadrons blasting off in the background while 3PO is talking about how everyone else is going to Scarif. At the very least, the dialogue should have been him griping that HE doesn't want to go to Scariff while they are on their way to board their flight. Even then, I cannot imagine any scenario where Raddus takes off after his squadrons do. "Good luck. If you are all still alive, I'll see you when I get there".

Pensivia and Gigoran Monk like this.
  25. Lt. Hija

Lt. Hija Jedi Master star 4

Dec 8, 2015
    A Chorus of Disapproval wrote

The bit with their cameo that my brain shortcircuits over is that they clearly start their next appearance aboard the ship that was docked in the one which should have been the very first one to take off. This is after Raddus has "returned to his ship. He's going to fight" and we see multiple squadrons blasting off in the background while 3PO is talking about how everyone else is going to Scarif. At the very least, the dialogue should have been him griping that HE doesn't want to go to Scariff while they are on their way to board their flight. Even then, I cannot imagine any scenario where Raddus takes off after his squadrons do. "Good luck. If you are all still alive, I'll see you when I get there".

Very good observation.

However, it doesn't trouble me at all since I'm in the camp firmly believing that they were picked up later by the 'real' Tantive IV and Princess Leia, i.e. she did arrive later parked her ship at the edge of the battlezone to receive the transmissions from the Blockade Runner we saw escaping before that one (Tantive VI?) was destroyed by the Star Destroyer pursuing it... :D