main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT Why weren't there more lightsaber accidents?

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by theman54, Sep 14, 2014.

1. theman54

theman54 Jedi Master star 2

Jul 26, 2005
    It seems to me like this was MASSIVELY more of a problem in the prequels than in the OT. In the prequels, there were more Jedi and they constantly had their lightsabers out.

Why weren't there more lightsaber accidents?

The lightsaber always struck me as being a VERY risky weapon for someone to be using. Dangerous not just to the target, but also to the user. It's not like a sword where, if it just touches you a bit by accident, you're fine as long as you weren't swinging it too hard. If a lightsaber touches you even just a bit, you get severely burnt and possibly start losing arms and legs. I'm surprised there weren't more cases of Jedi having their lightsabers slip the wrong way from their hands and accidently hitting their own arms/legs/torsos. No matter how careful/well-trained a Jedi is with his/her lightsaber, if it gets rainy outside, the WET lightsaber handle could easily, at any point, unintentionally slip just an inch or two from one's grip, end up swinging possibly a whole foot or two unintentionally in the other direction, and become a massive risk to the wielder of the weapon. I was always in awe of how casually the Jedi were twirling their sabers around, sometimes just centimeters away from their own faces/bodies.

Why weren't there more lightsaber accidents in these movies where users accidently maimed themselves with their own weapons? Are we really expected to completely disregard chance and believe that the Jedi were 100% in control of their lightsabers at all times?

2. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    Yes, because of the whole reason why it's only Jedi (and other Force users) we see using lightsabers in the first place: the Force. Theoretically anyone can use a lightsaber, but as you describe, they're insanely dangerous to handle. Right from the very beginning of Star Wars, it's been established that Jedi can safely use them only through the level of control granted by use of the Force.

Sarge and Ananta Chetan like this.
  3. DANNASUK

DANNASUK Force Ghost star 7

Nov 1, 2012
    I assumed younglings had training blades

Iron_lord likes this.
  4. DarthRelaxus

DarthRelaxus Chosen One star 5

Apr 23, 2007
    Conspiracy: the Jedi Council covered up all those padawan deaths/dismemberments.

Sarge likes this.
  5. rumsmuggler

rumsmuggler Chosen One star 7

Aug 31, 2000
    Padawans have been training with lightsabers from an early age. The training sabers probably sting like hell if it makes contact with a person, so they learn quick how to safely handle them.

Revanfan1 and Iron_lord like this.
  6. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    That's how it's portrayed in Jude Watson books- Legacy of the Jedi for example. Also Sean Stewart's Yoda: Dark Rendezvous.

7. Bazinga'd

Bazinga'd Saga / WNU Manager - Knights of LAJ star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 1, 2012

Shock tasers. I like the concept as it causes a Pavlovian response. Lol

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

8. Meyerm

Meyerm Jedi Padawan star 2

Aug 17, 2014
    The force lets lightsaber users not get harmed. As for how non-force sensitives are able to engage in melee combat with one, I have no idea. Pre Vizsla should have been cut down by Maul in seconds.

9. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    Maybe it was overestimated just how hard a lightsaber is to wield.

TCW has quite a few characters who are not called out as Darksiders wield them successfully (at least for a time). Besides Vizsla, there is that Terellian Jango Jumper in Lightsaber Lost, and the Clawdite changeling in Holocron Heist.

10. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001

Right. Blades specifically designed to not slice off limbs, but would leave a bruise and would sting quite a bit. Basically like a cattle prod. The Jedi and Sith are trained from a young enough age to use Lightsabers, on top of their Force training and thus there aren't any accidents. This is different from real life sword fighting where even with adequate training and coordination, accidents will occur.

11. Meyerm

Meyerm Jedi Padawan star 2

Aug 17, 2014
    Still, a force sensitive has the advantage to passively sense the location of the weapon and the enemy's next movements, allowing things like deflecting blaster bolts and blocking melee attacks. Not to mention their could just as easily yank the enemy's weapon out of their hands if their opponent isn't able to use the force.

12. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    Probably because such accidents would either come across as inadvertently comical or simply too "realistic" for a series where laser guns go pew pew pew.

13. CommanderDrenn

CommanderDrenn Jedi Knight star 4

Oct 19, 2013
    Because Jedi.

14. Bazinga'd

Bazinga'd Saga / WNU Manager - Knights of LAJ star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 1, 2012
    I wonder if the NRA will now get involved in this thread as we are talking children and "weapons" :p

15. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    And sometimes if their opponent is - Yoda does it to Ventress in the first TCW episode.

rumsmuggler likes this.
  16. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    Because those who use them happen to be the same people who were trained to do so? Where's the "MASSIVE problem"?

Gamiel likes this.