Toronto Why?? Why are people so dumb?

Discussion in 'Canada Discussion Boards' started by krax_13, Jan 8, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. krax_13 Jedi Knight

star 1
    Since I havn't posted in a while, I'd like to say hi to anybody I havn't seen recently.

Now on to my post: Blockbuster, the chain of video rental stores has been receiving complaints from people who want to watch DVD's in 'full' screen otherwise known as pan and scan. So they're pressuring movie studios to release more dvd's in pan and scan. As a big chain, they have quite a bit of clout, so those of us who like movies have to make them aware that we like the Widescreen format and not the 2/3rds of a movie that is called full screen.

anyway, I ran across a petition up at http://www.petitiononline.com/widedvd/petition.html

I just hope it works.

-Joseph
    slonimsky700@rogers.com
  2. Adam-the-Indifferent Jedi Master

star 4
    People are ignorant of the facts of "Fullscreen" vs Widescreen.

Studios should be taking a proactive approach in educating the populous about the difference. However, they will make more money releasing dual versions of films. Those that will buy "fullscreen" now, will have to re-purchase all those discs once HDTV hit mass market because of the pesky grey bars on the side of the screen.

They have to satisfy the people who understand the difference and importance of widescreen (and original aspect ratio) because these are the people who will help push HDTV into the mass market, as they did with DVD.

That's just my view on it.

I'm a bit concerned with a mulitmedia course I may be taking on Digital Media. One assignment calls for us to take 2 minutes of footage from 3 films and edit it into a 4 minute, coherent narrative. The problems lies in the fact that want the 4:3 ("fullscreen") ratio to be used. Thus, sacrifing the original aspect ratio of the films.

I am going to discuss this with my prof because, as an artist, she should understand the importance of artistic intergrity. If she says too bad, I will limit myself to films that were shot in 4:3. The other problem is I have to work in a group and I don't know how understanding the other members will be to my view.

A bit off topic but it shows how even, so called, artists don't even understand the importance of viewing films in their original aspect ratios. If a university professor of Digital Audio and Visual doesn't get it, why would most other people?

University is not all that it is cracked up to be. But that is another story.

3. SLam Jedi Knight

star 1
    I don't remember university.... I'm surprised I graduated. :p

You will always have a hard time telling someone artistic integrity to the general public. The answer you'll always get is, why is half of my TV screen black?

Many technically and artistically superior items have died due to consumer stupidity.

Here is some trivia:
    [tech babble starts - while waiting for a FPGA compile to complete]
    Work out the numbers. On a 27" (16.2" high screen) 4:3 TV, a 2.4:1 aspect ratio image is 9" high. The average consumer's viewing distance is usually 6 times the height of the image. So what ends up happening is a person is sitting 4 feet farther then they should be and the 2.4:1 image looks tiny!

I mean to get true intent the director had for the movie, the viewing distance for a 2.4:1 aspect film is 3 times the height of the screen (I could look up the SMPTE RP spec, but I can't bother). So on a 27" TV, that's 2.25 feet!

Later,
    SLam
  4. THEREALSHMII Jedi Master

star 4
    Actually, It's funny that you post this Krax, I've been arguing with a guy at work about this. He's a big movie fan but complains bitterly about the widescreen. He know all the arguments about fitting things on the screen but his argument ids the that the two stipes across the top and bottom of the screen are distracting. To each his own I guess.
  5. Kenobi2 Jedi Master

star 4
    I don't get any black bars! What are you talking about! :)
  6. TheGrandePoobah Jedi Master

star 4
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.