main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Why wont my passwords get through?

Discussion in 'Communications' started by Robochimp, Nov 15, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Robochimp

Robochimp Jedi Youngling

Jul 23, 2002
    I got sick of my passwords not turning up using hotmail, so I use yahoo know. And its still not coming.

Help!

2. Kadue

Kadue Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 20, 2000
    We are currently having a few little problems with the e-mail, so sometimes it might not get through.

PM me with the details of the password, and what the e-mail address of the account are and I'll get it to you.

3. Jedi_Nailbiter

Jedi_Nailbiter Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 22, 2000
    The Hotmail bulk/junk mail filters filter out password requests, unban replies, and other automatic board messages.

4. farraday

farraday Jedi Knight star 7

Jan 27, 2000
    Except that sometimes it doesn't go into the junk mail folder, just up and vanishes.

5. Gay-LenKenobi

Gay-LenKenobi Jedi Knight star 5

Sep 20, 2000
    I've been arguing with Hotmail Customer service for over a week. They insist that adding my own address to the Mailing List feature, that it will fix the problem. I keep telling them that it won't save my address in the Mailing List list. They claim thats not possible and refuse to respond to my emails.

I hate Hotmail. :mad:

6. DarthSapient

DarthSapient Jedi Youngling star 10

Jun 26, 2001
    It just seems like hotmail isn't the most reliable source for registering passwords on the boards. They're very tempremental. If you haven't received your password yet, let me know. If at all possible for future members, I would recommend using a different provider.

7. Whimper

Whimper Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 11, 1999
    I've said it before, I've created Hotmail accounts brand-new from scratch for the sole purpose of associating them with the JC. I've specifically made sure that all mail-filtering was turned off ahead of time, and put tfn in my 'safe list'.

On a completely fresh account like this, the messages still don't get through. They don't end up in a Junk Mail folder (like other spam) or anything. They just don't get to me. It's like it isn't even on Hotmail's side. Are you sure the server is actually sending the messages properly?

8. Kadue

Kadue Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 20, 2000
    I know personally that they are going out because I am still getting things to my private e-mail account, which is ISP based. Also, if it wasn't, no one could create a new name, and I'd be getting flooded with requests every day (not that I already aren't, but it's only 5/day at the moment, not the 100 or so that sign up).

I know of various people that have tried to query MSN about this, but they refuse to consider that it could be a problem on their side, which I strongly believe it is. Up until September at least, I was still receiving e-mails to my Hotmail account from the JC, and also had the filter set to use my own address. When this issue was first brought up, I've found that all of my filters magically disappeared, and I can no longer get e-mails from the JC. At the start of October Hotmail and MSN updated their junk-mail blocking features/software, and I have a feeling that somewhere in there is the problem, in that there is a block that doesn't let any e-mail originating with your own e-mail address (which the board e-mails do) that wasn't sent from your account, is automatically determined as junk-mail, and the filters can't over-ride that.

That said, this is a big problem for us, and I know that IGN have a problem with it too. I'm going to talk to them about it, offering a suggestion or two on possibilities if they haven't thought of them that would hopefully fix the problem.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.