main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Why Would Anyone Remake This Movie? "Logan's Run"

Discussion in 'Archive: The Amphitheatre' started by Zaz, Jun 20, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Beowulf

Beowulf Jedi Master star 5

May 28, 1999
    But of course! Every film needs some kind of overly basic message that ruins any type of suspense nowadays!

Gaah...remaking "The Birds"...what next? I bet someone's going to remake "Killer Klowns from Outer Space" within the next couple years...

2. StarDude

StarDude Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 28, 2001
    As a Hitchcock fanatic, I was very adamently against this.

That was until I read that it's going to be more of an adaptation of the short story rather than a remake of the Hitchcock flick. So I'll give it the benefit of a doubt.

3. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    The short story is even more pointless than the film; in the film, the birds show up and maul characters for no reason. In the story, the birds show up and surround a house for no reason. It rather went nowhere.

And this environmental message . . . yes, that's good. The birds need motivation . . . motivation, you understand. :oops:

Ignorance. Utter ignorance.

4. Django211

Django211 Force Ghost star 4

Mar 6, 1999
    The birds showed up for a reason and it was all Tippi Hedren's character. She brings feminism to a small traditional town and is punished for it. She assumes a male personality for most off the film but when she reverts back to a "traditional" female role the birds stop attacking.

5. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998
    Let me get this straight; the Birds are politically non-correct?

6. Drac39

Drac39 Force Ghost star 6

Jul 9, 2002
    The Birds was Hitchcock's weaker film. It was fub but it didn't have the suspense until the end of the movie.

Remaking it would be terrible, hell I bet Alan Smithee's Birds II would be better than the remake :p

7. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998
    Even a weak Hitchcock (and I would agree that this is one) is better than the sort of crappy remake this will be.

8. MariahJade2

MariahJade2 Former Fan Fiction Archive Editor star 5 VIP

Mar 18, 2001
    I just noticed this. Re-make the Birds as environmental/horror?!! :rolleyes: I so hope this isn't true.

9. Drac39

Drac39 Force Ghost star 6

Jul 9, 2002
    CGI will kill this remake if a weak script and wooden acting don't do it

10. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998
    Next: "Clash of the Titans" (2010)

Now granted, the original is fairly cheesy, and you had to buy Harry Hamlin as the son of Laurence Olivier, which is fairly unlikely. However, I can't see the remake being better.

11. soitscometothis

soitscometothis Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2003
    It's got the potential to be better. The original had a certain cheesy charm, complete with some great Harryhausen animation, but it could of had a better script. Definitely some room for improvement there.

I think Anthony Hopkins would make a great Zeus; so would Ian McShane, for that matter.

12. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    Just cast Sean Bean as somebody and I'll see it. :p

Seriously, the original was a lot of fun; it's one of those movies that, while you're watching it, doesn't seem to rise above cheap corn, but it sticks in your mind.

There are moments I'll never forget; the gods crushing a clay figure to kill a soldier, the death of Medusa, the gorgon sequence . . .

13. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998
    Next: "Bell, Book and Candle" (1958)

The original had a great cast: Kim Novak, James Stewart, Jack Lemmon, and Elsa Lancaster, and looked good. But the pacing is extremely languid, and the plot does very little with the subject. The "Bewitched" remake basically tried central the idea, and died at the box office. Probably not a good idea.

14. Rogue1-and-a-half

Nov 2, 2000
    I found the original to be quite flat.

15. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998
    Next: "Taps"

"Plot Synopsis: The story of a group of cadets who, after learning their academy is to be torn down and replaced with condos, seize the campus, refuse entry of the construction crews and ultimately confront the real military.

George C. Scott, Timothy Hutton, Tom Cruise and Sean Penn starred in the 1981 original."

The original was fine; what's the point of a remake?

16. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998
    Next: "The Boys From Brazil" (1978)

The first one was a giant train wreck, with miscasting (Gregory Peck as Josef Mengele!), campiness (Laurance Olivier as Simon Weisenhaal), and rotten accents (nearly all the cast but especially the creepy kid who played all of the 'boys')

The concept. Does. Not. Work.

The concent. Will. Not. Work. Ever.

17. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998
    Next: "The Taking of Pelham 123" (1974) Starred Walter Matthau. They are remaking it.

Why?

18. Chancellor_Ewok

Chancellor_Ewok Chosen One star 7

Nov 8, 2004
    I think that this has the potential to be a good movie, provided that director and cast are good.

19. General_Dodonna

General_Dodonna Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 7, 2005
    The best things about the original are:

1. The Soundtrack
    2. Walther Matthau
    3. Robert Shaw

If you can replace those three elements, your remake will be better. Otherwise, why?

20. Chancellor_Ewok

Nov 8, 2004
    I've never seen the original, but from what I read on IMDB, the bones of a good movie are definetly there. As I said, it all depends on whether or not they can get a decent director and cast.

21. Django211

Django211 Force Ghost star 4

Mar 6, 1999
    There already is a remake of this film with Edward James Olmos & Donnie Wahlberg.

22. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998
    That I didn't know. The new one will apparently star Denzel Washington.

23. Chancellor_Ewok

Nov 8, 2004
    It should be half decent, then. He usually picks interesting projects.

24. General_Dodonna

General_Dodonna Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 7, 2005
    I don't if it's Washington who's picking interesting projects, or if it's he who makes the projects more interesting by his presence. Given that just about every film he's ever been in has been made better by his presence, I'm inclined to go with the latter.

25. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998
    Generally, if not universally, true. "American Gangster" looks more interesting, though.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.