main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Why Would Anyone Remake This Movie? "Logan's Run"

Discussion in 'Archive: The Amphitheatre' started by Zaz, Jun 20, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998
    Next: "All the King's Men" (2006)

"We're not at all surprised that Sean Penn would have the cojones to take on an Oscar-winning role (Broderick Crawford won Best Actor for the '49 original); what shocked us was how completely and utterly this chockful-of-acting-heavyweights version failed to impress us.

Actually, I saw the original recently, and *it's* not that good, either.

2. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998
    Michael Bay may spawn a new 'Rosemary's Baby'
    Mar 12, 2008, 03:22 PM | by Adam B. Vary

Categories: Movie Biz

"Rosemary's Baby may soon get an evil twin. Paramount has partnered with Michael Bay's production company Platinum Dunes to develop a remake of Roman Polanski's 1968 classic, about a young woman unwittingly impregnated with the devil's child. The original, of course, starred Mia Farrow and won a Best Supporting Actress Oscar for Ruth Gordon. Although Polanski doesn't have any contractual control over a new version, Paramount has reached out to the director for his blessing, according to a studio insider. (It hasn't been resolved whether Polanski would retain any official credit on the film, but he will most likely not be creatively involved.) "We certainly come to [the project] with trepidation because of how important [the original] film is," says Dunes partner Brad Fuller. "But we're going to see if there's a great way to tell that story." To that end, Fuller and co-partner Andrew Form are currently taking pitches from screenwriters around town. Adam Fields (Donnie Darko) is also producing. Fuller doesn?t expect that Bay, currently set to helm Transformers 2 for summer 2009, will direct this Baby."

Oh, God. Give to Tim Burton, or leave well enough alone.

3. StarDude

StarDude Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 28, 2001
    If I recall, this has a fairly promising director. That's why I'm not inherintly against remakes. Although Rosemary's Baby is in my top five horror movies, it is a bit dated. I'll keep an open mind until I see a trailer or the movie itself.

4. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998
    "Frankenstein" is a bit dated, too. But none of the remakes add anything.

5. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    I can't think of who they would cast; no one has the creepy factor Farrow had and I don't know who could play Cassavettes part either without making him an utter prick, something the original somehow avoided. And Polanski's direction is so stylish. I just can't see this one working as a remake.

6. LilyHobbitJedi

LilyHobbitJedi Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 29, 2005
    *shudder* They're actually remaking that?!?

7. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998
    Now word comes that Werner Hertzog is going to remake Abel Ferrara's "Bad Lieutenant" (which starred Harvey Keitel). The new film will star Nicholas Cage.

I admire Hertzog, but think this is a bad idea.

8. Yodas-evil-twin

Yodas-evil-twin Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 3, 2005
    This going to be very, very nutty.

9. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998
    From RT:

"Hollywood's junkie-like addiction to raiding its back catalogue for remake material continues this week with a really great fantasy sword-and-sorcery adventure which inspired several sequels, and more than one TV show: Highlander. In the original, Sean Connery and Christopher Lambert starred as immortals locked in a centuries-long struggle against others of their kind who seek to kill them off. This time around, the project's new producers are promising a more "romantic" Highlander that will stress Connor MacLeod's love for a non-immortal woman, with a script to be written by the writers of Iron Man (Art Marcum and Matt Holloway). This project, then, proposes the question I bet you didn't think you'd have to ask yourself today: who is the 21st century equivalent of Christopher Lambert?"

10. StarDude

StarDude Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 28, 2001
    Remaking Rosemary's Baby is a horrible, horrible decision. The original unfolds so naturally. Then at the end, it's so unnerving. I couldn't sleep after watching it.

They should start re-releasing some of these movies in theaters.

RE: Highlander.

The original is a guilty pleasure favorite of mine. However, it's horribly dated, and not a great movie by any means. A remake by the writers of Iron Man might be welcome.

11. rumsmuggler

rumsmuggler Chosen One star 7

Aug 31, 2000
    Good question. Might as well add all the main players in Highlander to that list. And might as well ask if the music of Queen will be in the remake.

I think that remaking highlander is a bad idea, but i'll check in on the progress of the film though to see how it is shaping up.

12. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998
    From RT: "#3 RED DAWN REMAKE: HIGH SCHOOL KIDS WITH GUNS = YAY?

Discussing candidates for remakes, the studio chiefs at MGM revealed this week that they have their eyes on Robocop (which we already knew about a few weeks back) and from a somewhat similar 1980s-centric political vein, Red Dawn. Yes, the Patrick Swayze-starring movie about high school kids who take to the hills during a Russian/Cuban invasion of the United States, becoming rather successful guerrila rebel fighters. Directed by John Milius (the Conan movies, and writer of Apocalypse Now), Red Dawn is a movie that people either passionately LOVE, or find rather hilariously bad, I think. I'm actually in the first camp, but I'm also a big fan of "alternative history", so my mind goes all kind of theorizing at any movie that depicts a different path like Red Dawn does (so, yes, I'm that one person who actually saw White Man's Burden). The big question for this remake has got to be who they would paint as the big bad invaders this time? Theoretically, I guess it *could* be Russia and Cuba again, but you've got to think that "they" would probably either go for an Asian threat (China or Korea?), or probably the most predictable choice, post 9/11, and some sort of Middle Eastern and/or Islamic threat. The logic-challenging problem there though is... can "terrorists" credibly be portrayed as an invading force?"

13. JohnWesleyDowney

JohnWesleyDowney Jedi Master star 5

Jan 27, 2004

Someone is thinking of remaking "Red DAWN"? :oops:

Well if they'll make a movie out of the TV show Bewitched, and they'll remake (or should I say "reshoot" Psycho (!), I guess NOTHING's off limits. :rolleyes:

It wasn't that great a movie to begin with, and someone wants to remake it?

I can't wait until the term "reimagining" is used in relation to this remake, :p

14. rumsmuggler

Aug 31, 2000
    Things were better when folks stole ideas from films they liked, changed a few things and slapped a new name on it. This whole remaking everything is going to far, in my opinion.

15. Vengance1003

Vengance1003 Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 4, 2006
    I think this movie worked more when we hated Russians, not when we don't.

16. BobaFrank

BobaFrank Jedi Youngling star 5

Jul 17, 2001
    The original is great. One of my favorite movies growing up as a kid. "Wolverines!!!"

If they are going back to old 80s movies why not continue the series? KRULL and THE LAST STARFIGHTER were both set up for sequels. I'd much rather see that than a remake of movies that don't need it.

17. rumsmuggler

Aug 31, 2000
    Agreed and I like both of those films. A sequel to The Last Starfighter would be awesome.

18. JMJacenSolo

JMJacenSolo Jedi Master star 4

May 21, 2006
    Maybe they want to create a new MPAA rating.

19. BobaFrank

BobaFrank Jedi Youngling star 5

Jul 17, 2001
    Rated LOC. Lack of Creativity. Anyone who remembers or loved the original should not view this movie w/out parental guidance. Absolutely no one under 18 admitted.

20. rumsmuggler

Aug 31, 2000
  21. MarcusP2

MarcusP2 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 10, 2004
    Considering the reaction to Crystal Skull in Russia I can just see how this would go down. :p

22. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998
    #7 THE PICTURE OF PRINCE CASPIAN

"Little-known British actor Ben Barnes, currently starring as Prince Caspian in the latest Narnia movie, has been cast as the lead in a new feature film adaptation of Oscar Wilde's novel, The Picture of Dorian Gray, as a man who keeps a magical painting upon which all of his aging goes, keeping his real body perpetually awesome looking. Oliver Parker, who also directed the most recent movie versions of Oscar Wilde's An Ideal Husband and The Importance of Being Earnest, is aiming to start filming in July, on this project which will delve into "dark horror", as it analyzes the subject of fame, and what one will do to keep up appearances."

Judging from the 40's version from MGM, this book is unadaptable.

23. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    That film version of Wilde's Ideal Husband was outstanding. And I enjoyed the old version of Dorian Gray. I wonder if the moral will fly in today's relativistic world; you have to believe in an outside morality, I think, to really feel the ambivalence of the story.

24. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998
    Certain elements of the adaptation worked--Angela Lansbury, for one. But they miscast Dorian Gray, and the portrait is a joke.

25. Vortigern99

Vortigern99 Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 12, 2000
    I find the portrait in the old film -- a color picture inside a black-and-white movie -- to be hideous and jarring, as intended by the filmmakers. I really love that movie, and find that I do not object in the slightest to a re-make.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.