Why Would Anyone Remake This Movie? "Logan's Run"

Discussion in 'Archive: The Amphitheatre' started by Zaz, Jun 20, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Zaz Jedi Grand Master

star 9
    "Conan The Barbarian"

"The script is still being written for the remake of one of Arnie?s best-ever roles. It?s a fair bet that Arnie won?t be returning, but Sahara scribes Thomas Dean Donnelly and Joshua Oppenheimer are beavering away on the screenplay. Production may yet start this year, apparently."

WHY?
  2. DarthBoba Manager Emeritus

star 9
    I take it we've gotten to the "horrible remakes of already stupid/bad ideas" part of the thread. I mean, Knight Rider? I'll just take my bag of vomit, thanks.
  3. Lurking_Around Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    I wouldn't mind a Conan remake, as long as its a reboot, kinda like 'Batman Begins'. Heh...'Conan Begins'. Indeed, I've always wanted the guy from 'Pathfinder' (aka Eomer from PJ's LOTR) to be Conan *shrug*

However, as to "why" the studio would be interested, it is obviously to cash in on the whole fantasy craze. After all, Rob E Howard's works have been getting many reprints in both book and comic/graphic novel forms, so there are still fans out there. BTW, Howard's other creation Solomon Kane is already in production being made into a movie, if I'm not mistaken.

Granted, the remake could suck as bad as 'Eragon'...hmmm, someone call Jeremy Irons for his long awaited 'bad fantasy movies' hat trick!
  4. The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth

Manager
    star 10
    Conan, as much as I would have preferred the Milus King Conan, I can understand wanting to be remade into something that resembles the source material closer.
  5. Merlin_Ambrosius69 Force Ghost

star 5
    I'm of two minds on this subject. Like 2ndQuest, I would have loved to see Milius' King Conan, as I love the original film and take it for what it is -- a brilliant and moving interpretation of Howard's creation. But at the same time, I recognize how inaccurate it is, and I pine for a more true-to-Howard rendition of the source material. If the filmmakers can achieve a more accurate depiction of the character and the Hyborian Age, AND achieve a moving and tasteful piece of cinema, then I'm all for a re-make. If, however, they're going for a Scorpion King-style fantasy romp with laughable dialogue and ridiculously awful CGI, and/or a "re-imagined" Conan character, then they might as well pack it in right now.
  6. Lurking_Around Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    I too love the Millius Conan. And since I'm never a purist when it comes to adaptations, I don't really care whetehr it's clsoe to the source material or not.

Still, if they can achieve something like 'Batman Begins' (closer to the source material but still have their own original ideas) then I'm all for it.

A Conan remake makes far more sense than a 'Masters of the Universe' remake.

*shudders*
  7. The2ndRest-in-Peace Jedi Knight

star 3
    I'd disgree there- generally I'd prefer they remake something that had a failed first/recent film (like Batman, Hulk or Masters of the Universe) than a classic film. Conan falls inbetween due to it's nature as an adaptation (though now the question remains: should this new movie use the Poledouris musical themes, or should they do something fully original to distinguish the two works?).

The only reason a MOTU film should never be tried again is because no one will ever be able to play Skeletor better than Frank Langella and I doubt he'd ever return to the role.

Langella aside, MPTU should definitely be remade.
  8. Lurking_Around Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    should this new movie use the Poledouris musical themes, or should they do something fully original to distinguish the two works?

Again, I prefer the 'Batman Begins' route: have everything totally new. New music, new approach, new origins. To retain the music for mere sentimental reasons is to follow the 'Superman Returns' route, bah!

Don't get me wrong, I love the old Conan music, (just as I lvoe the old Elfman Bats theme), but a remake should be a total remake.

Langella aside, MPTU should definitely be remade.

Then we'll have to disagree. I think He-Man and co. should remain as cartoons, some things are just too inherently silly to work as movies. I'm glad the latest news indicates the remake is in development hell.

Langella was awesome as Skeletor, and that probably reinforces my arguments regarding MOTU. I'm quite satisfied with the "so bad it's noteworthy" 80s movie, with its pseudo-Superman theme, Courney Cox, that guy from Voyager, Dolph "Aaaah haaaf dah poh-weeer" Lundgren, delicious Evil-Lyn [face_love] and the Shakesperean Skeletor.

Hmmm...Ian McKellan as Skeletor....

[face_thinking]
  9. Merlin_Ambrosius69 Force Ghost

star 5
    On the question of musical score, I'm with Lurking_Around: Go the Batman Begins route and develop new music. The operatic Poledouris theme worked beautifully for that one film, but this film will (hopefully) be in a different style, with a different approach and different feel.

I'm crossing my fingers that we get to see a live-action Conan that actually looks like Howard's Conan: Black-haired, sullen-eyed, and athletic without necessarily being a body-builder. Arnold was terrific -- it's probably his best performance as an actor -- but his hair was the wrong color, and it's possible he was a little bit too big. That kind of body derives from protein supplements and weight training (or from the invented Wheel of Pain!) -- not from slinging a sword or axe around on a battle-field and wandering through civilization. Fans have mentioned Gerard Butler for the role, and while I think he's too old for the part at this point (especially for an origin story/early career Conan), that kind of physique and overall look are exactly what's required.
  10. Lurking_Around Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    Fans have mentioned Gerard Butler for the role, and while I think he's too old for the part at this point (especially for an origin story/early career Conan), that kind of physique and overall look are exactly what's required.

I agree with what you said, Butler is too old for an origin story (however, as Conan's mentor or father [both?], I see some kind of potential there). As I mentioned earlier, my choice is the Pathfinder guy, aka Eomer from the LOTR movies. He's muscled but not Arnold-ish, gigantic muscles. And he has more than proven how well he looks in fight scenes, plus decent enough actor for Conan.

Heck, half the time I pretend Pathfinder is a Conan remake.

:p
  11. Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus

star 7
    Arnold's Conan was great, campy fun. But I'd like to see a new take on the original stories.
  12. Merlin_Ambrosius69 Force Ghost

star 5
    Campy? Perhaps you're referring to the second, execrable Conan film, the title of which I will not soil myself to write out. ;) But the first film, Conan the Barbarian, is deathly serious and not campy in the slightest. One thing Milius definitely got right was the dark and heavy tone. Let's hope the re-makers keep that sense of weight and import to their interpretation.
  13. The2ndRest-in-Peace Jedi Knight

star 3
    Seconded- the first Conan is not campy and tells much of it's story and emotion through the visuals and music. It had a couple moments of humor (the camel punch, "my god lives above your god", the cut from the sword to him wearing dog skins, etc), but it wasn't camp.
  14. Zaz Jedi Grand Master

star 9
    Logan?s Run

"Uber-producer Joel Silver is pushing this long-mooted remake, which has director Joseph Kosinski attached (whose name is also being linked with the new Tron film). Logan?s Run is believed to be first in line, though, and a 2010 release is being mooted."

The original isn't particularly good, and the plot has been used for numerous other movies.
  15. Luke_Sparkewalker Force Ghost

star 4
    The Island springs to mind...
  16. JohnWesleyDowney Force Ghost

star 5
    Agreed, and as Luke said, THE ISLAND was very similar to this and didn't really cut it.
    Unless they can really freshen it up, and I don't mean with bigger and better special efx,
    they should skip this one. It smells of mothballs.
  17. StarDude Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    It sucks Brian Singer is no longer attached to this.

I'm definitely not opposed to a remake, considering how dated the original film is. And not enough people saw The Island for it to hurt a Logan's Run remake, plus they're different enough for it not to matter anyway.
  18. Mastadge Manager Emeritus

star 7
    Next remake: The Crow

Stephen Norrington, the cinematic genius behind such comics-to-screen gems as Blade and The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, is remaking The Crow: "Whereas [Alex] Proyas' original was gloriously gothic and stylized, the new movie will be realistic, hard-edged and mysterious, almost documentary-style."

Gah!
  19. Merlin_Ambrosius69 Force Ghost

star 5
    "Boooo!" I say (or is it "Phewww!") to both the Logan's Run re-make and the Crow re-make. Anyway, I'll believe either or both when I see the trailer(s), if any.
  20. Drew_Atreides Force Ghost

star 5
    Eh, i'm a sucker for the original "Logan's Run"... It's one of my personal favourites, but it has always suffered from being the last sci-fi movie before a little diddy called "Star Wars" came around and changed everything. Logan was easily forgotten. It could really benefit from an update.
  21. WormieSaber Force Ghost

star 5
    "Logan's Run" is full of all that classic sci-fi effects and noises. It really is a Utopian theory.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.