main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Why would Sidious need the charred remains of Anakin as his Sith Apprentice?

Discussion in 'Archive: Revenge of the Sith' started by HagentheSith, Jan 14, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jedi_Nexus

Jedi_Nexus Jedi Youngling

Dec 26, 2003
    What I want to know is why didn't Sidious take a cell from Anakin then grow it on Kamino (or Polis Massa) or where ever then once he was ready to knight Anakin II as a Sith Lord, he could dispose of the obsolete old version. Didn't so printed source say that Vader post charred scars and missing limbs was now only 70 or 80 % as powerfull as the Emperor?

2. CHRIS_SKYWALKEN

CHRIS_SKYWALKEN Jedi Youngling

Jan 31, 2005
    I think it is important to remember what Palpatines goal is; ULTIMATE POWER.
    The prevailing theme throughout ROTS is the ability to cheat death. Sideous himself states that he does not possess that ability, after Anakin's turn to the darkside of course. Yet, it is possible that Sideous would wish to keep even a less powerfull suited Vader around in the hope that Vader would discover this ability. In other words PALPATINE NEEDS VADER as much as Vader now needs Palpatine.

3. Jedi-or-Sith

Jedi-or-Sith Jedi Youngling star 1

May 23, 2005
    suited Vader is still stronger then 98% of the Jedi!

4. magicfann

magicfann Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 22, 2005
    there are certain pros and cons to the suit, for example in the suit vader cant move nearly as he once did, but the suit also enhances his physical strength. in ESB when vader is fighting luke did any of u ppl see how vader was just slashing down on luke and it was all luke could do to just block vaders lightsaber? then eventually luke gets his a$$ kicked

5. NPrtmn4evr

NPrtmn4evr Jedi Youngling

May 22, 2004
    The reason that Sidious kept Anakin alive was to enhance the image of the Empire. Anakin was the hero of the Republic, and an icon among the people...in a sense the Poster Boy. The image of Vader in the suit could have also been used to illustrate how devouted he was to the Republic... he was willing to sacrifice his life to defeat his best friend that had become a traitor to the Republic, what a perfect role model for the citizens of the newly created Empire.

6. mjerome3

mjerome3 Jedi Knight star 6

May 11, 2000
    But hardly no one except Tarkin, Obi-Wan, Palpatine, and Yoda knew that Vader was Anakin Skywalker.

I suppose Sidious saves Anakin's life because there's no time to train another apprentice in the ways of the Sith and even if Vader is partly mechanical, even without his lower legs and his arms, he's still VERY POWERFUL. He's not as powerful as he once was, but he's still far more powerful than Count Dooku and Darth Maul was, even in Vader's diminished state. Plus Vader had shown the Emperor that he was loyal before his injuries.

Remember the official site states that Darth Vader was Emperor Palpatine's greatest apprentice, which means with or without the suit and helmet.

7. Darth_Expedite

Darth_Expedite Jedi Youngling star 1

May 29, 2005
    Because, Sidious knew once he got Hayden's remains in the suit he'd get David Prowse back in exchange! [face_laugh]

8. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    Though he lost some of his power, he also lost some of his humanity, which was a fair trade off. It wasn't until Vader suggested turning Luke, that Sidious agreed that Luke would be a great asset. As he thought about it more, he realized that Luke would be better than a burnt up cripple.

9. yankee8255

yankee8255 Force Ghost star 6

May 31, 2005
    Needed the biggest paper-weight he could find. Running an empire means a giant bureaucracy, lots of paper-work, his local Staples didn't have anything big enough.[face_laugh]

10. simon-the-ewok

simon-the-ewok Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 21, 2005
    Even though Vader was pretty much gonna die, I think Sidious decided to save him because he felt compassion for him as well as sympathy. Plus, Vader could still have been useful to him even in what his condition was.

11. Anakins_Force

Anakins_Force Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 3, 2005
    Even though his physical abilities are somewhat diminished, he is still strong with the Force. Who else could hold up his hand and block bullets? He also uses the Force while searching for rebel bases--he knows for sure that Hoth is the right planet to send troopers.

He is a good military leader too--the Captains are terrified of him and rush to do whatever he says. I'm sure Sidious loves having all the troopers and officers (except Tarkin) scared to death all the time. Anakin's presence on the ships keeps the officers in line. He also is pretty cunning--he uses Han and Leia as bait to trap Luke--this shows how much he's learned--in ROTS, he was too impatient to make plans.

ETA: And with his force choking abilities, and his deflection abilities, Vader was pretty much impervious from any harm from non-force users. No one would be able to kill him unless they had the Force. So he was safe from any type of mutiny. At that point only Sidious or Luke could have taken him on. If you could only be killed by two people in the galaxy, you'd be pretty awesome.

12. ObiJuanQuito

ObiJuanQuito Jedi Youngling star 5

May 20, 2005
    "Luminous Beings we are. Not his crude matter"

I'm assuming the sith feel the same way...

Vader was a powerful force user...
    I dont think the emperor let a little thing like burnt flesh bothered him. Anger is what gives the sith there power. Not physical strength...

The book says Sidious he was glad at the level of Vader's

13. yankee8255

yankee8255 Force Ghost star 6

May 31, 2005
    Have to disagree with you you vehemently on the bold part of your post. If I understand Yoda's poitn correctly, he's getting at the force-equivalent of a soul, and the possibility of an afterlife, becoming one with the force, yada yada.

Maybe the Sith do believe this to some limited extent, but they clearly don't place any value/worth in it. They're focused on the maerial world at hand, thus their greed, etc., and a desire to prolong life/avoid death.

As for why he went to pick huim up, a combination of the posts already out there: there was noviable alternative out there, Vader was still extremely powerful. There's some sense to the original post, that he needs him to get at Luke. Finally, he figures DV is pretty darned angry after what OB1 did to him (from DV's point of view), making his turn to the dark side more complete.

14. ObiJuanQuito

ObiJuanQuito Jedi Youngling star 5

May 20, 2005
    Now that i think about it....

Sidious didnt mind because vader in his present form was less of a threat to him.

For millenium, the sith/apprentice relationship normally ended with the apprentice destroying the master and taking his place.

I think Sidious wanted an apprentice powerful but not powerful enough to destory him.

And as evil as the Sith and Sidious are. they still follow cerain rules. Like the rule of two...

15. darth_berryboy

darth_berryboy Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 8, 2005
    I think Sids kept Ani alive because he was lazy. With Vader doing his dirty work, he could sit back and give out orders rather than executing them himself.

16. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    As Ian McDiarmid said, Vader's lost his humanity which is something that he likes a lot. Makes it easier to keep him under control.

17. rhonderoo

rhonderoo Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 7, 2002
    ObiJuanQuito posted on 6/23/05 7:40am
    "Luminous Beings we are. Not his crude matter"

I'm assuming the sith feel the same way...

Vader was a powerful force user...
    I dont think the emperor let a little thing like burnt flesh bothered him. Anger is what gives the sith there power. Not physical strength...

The book says Sidious he was glad at the level of Vader's
    [hr][/blockquote]

Exactly. That Anakin survived at all means he's not your average human being.

18. Disco_Dark_Jeedai

Disco_Dark_Jeedai Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 19, 2001
    My question is why does Palpatine need a new apprentice right away anyways? The Jedi are done, they are no longer a threat, he cannot be beaten. It seems that Palpatine wouldn't neccessarily need to get a new apprentice as soon as possible and could have trained a new one like he did Darth Maul.

19. Green_Destiny_Sword

Green_Destiny_Sword Force Ghost star 5

Jun 20, 2001
    Disco Dark you hit the nail on the head. Sidious does not need an apprentice at all at the end of ROTS.

In fact by keeping Anakin alive he is leaving open the one door to being destroyed. Sidious knows Anakin was predestined to kill him! Why keep him alive? Lol.

Any benefit Vader gives (washed up, weakened apprentice good for force choking a few lackeys) is completely outweighed by the supernatural threat of the prophecy hanging over Anakin. Letting Anakin die eliminates any chance of failure. And now that he?s charred up and washed up it?s really not worth it.

20. Violetsaber

Violetsaber Jedi Master star 3

Aug 6, 2001
    As Ian McDiarmid said, Vader's lost his humanity which is something that he likes a lot. Makes it easier to keep him under control.

Palpatine doesn't WANT someone he can easily control. He wants a Sith that will become more powerful than himself and replace him. That is the way of the Sith. It is why he brags to Yoda in ROTS that Anakin will become more powerful than either of them...he's proud that he has managed to turn the greatest apprentice the Sith will ever know.

Then things go wrong.

I think Darth_BerryBoy is correct. Keep Vader around to do the dirty work. He may be weaker than usual, but he can still crush anybody in the Empire, Palpatine excluded. Vader can still command, and he is an excellant figurehead to inspire fear and dread. As soon as Palpatine finds someone more powerful, however, he immediately makes plans to replace Vader with the personification of what Vader could have been...Luke. Out with the old, in with the new!

Violetsaber

21. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001

PPOR. Because outside of the novelization, Darth Sidious does not know about the Prophecy of the Chosen One. I've seen all three PT films and there's nothing in there that shows that he even knows.

Again, PPOR that Palpatine knows this in the films and not the novelization.

22. jedi_master_ousley

jedi_master_ousley Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2002
    And even if he does know, he may have misinterpreted it. Perhaps he thought the balance to the Force was the destruction of the Jedi, just as the Jedi thought it was the destruction of the Sith.

23. Danis_Organa

Danis_Organa Jedi Youngling

Jun 22, 2004

Duh.

24. Green_Destiny_Sword

Green_Destiny_Sword Force Ghost star 5

Jun 20, 2001
    SINISTER -- PPOR???? Watch the PT. Sidious knows EVERYTHING!!!

He knows Tyrannus wanted to leave the order and seduced him. He knows Anakin is destined to be ?powerful?, he knows the Jedi want Anakin to spy on him. He even knows Anakin is dreaming of losing Padme! He also seems to always know what the Jedi is up to. All of his knowledge and psychic abilities and he?s never heard that Anakin is the Chosen One? In 14 years??? I don?t think that?s likely. GL has created a story in which Sidious virtually omniscient. Why he is, I don?t know. But he is.

So again, I don?t see how Sidious would not know this. Furhtermore, why would Sids think Anakin is going to be so super-powerful? He has his eye on him since he was a kid. What would the reason be that Anakin is so supposedly off the charts (even though we never see this). He must know.

And thus letting Anakin live makes no sense.

25. TheLightSide

TheLightSide Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 29, 2005
    Let us ultra-settle this one, once and for all.

Do we believe that Darth Sidious knows that Anakin is the Chosen One? Huge ramifications if we believe he does not.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.