main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Why Yoda doesn't hide with Obi-Wan on Tatooine

Discussion in 'Archive: Revenge of the Sith (Non-Spoilers)' started by QUEEN_LEIA, Oct 1, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. QUEEN_LEIA

QUEEN_LEIA Jedi Youngling star 5

Jul 29, 2003
    Just a new thought. Perhaps his species can't handle the harsh temperatures of Tatooine.

2. Latorski

Latorski Jedi Master star 4

Dec 14, 2002
    Maybe.

Or it could be like the President and Vive-President not riding on the same plane.

3. winter_chili

winter_chili Jedi Master star 5

Nov 6, 2002
    i think Ben was on tationween (lord) because thats were luke was, yoda was on dagobath because...maybe theres some significance to him being trained there....the cave perhaps?

4. stinrab

stinrab Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 9, 1998
    Yep, the possibilitites that I can think of have already been mentioned. Namely:

1. It's probably not a good idea to have the two remaining members of an almost extinct order to live in the same place; they increase their chances of survival by spreading out

2. Yoda might prefer to live in damp environments (ie. swamplands of Dagobah). Besides, a little green guy would have difficulty blending in on Tatooine.

5. kingthlayer

kingthlayer Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 7, 2003
    It'd make them more susceptible to Vader sensing the force, too, I would think. Having Yoda and Obi Wan in the same place would most likely give off a pretty strong signal.

6. Garth Maul

Garth Maul Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 18, 2002
    Just how unique is Yoda's species? We had another - Yaddle - on the Council.

Are we going to hear that Palpatine does indeed have a pro-human, anti-alien stance?

Yoda might cause comment out on Tatooine, but what about Alderaan? Why not hide on Alderaan and protect Padme and Leia? Luke warrants a Jedi (possibly Master) watching over him, while the ladies get the charming hand of Bail Organa?

I'm not so sure the environment theory holds up - it makes sense, but then Yoda probably rarely leaves the Jedi Temple, which seems like a pretty dry, stale environment to me.

7. CCK

CCK Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 30, 2003
    maybe i'm totally wrong, and don't mean to burst anyone's bubble but..

maybe GL invented yoda when he wrote ESB...ANH could have been a big box office flop...cuz it would have made a lot of sense for obi to watch luke and yoda to watch leia...i wonder if GL even knew that they would be brother and sister when he wrote ANH...

8. Garth Maul

May 18, 2002
    heh heh heh.

You're probably right CCK, but that's never the answer we want to hear!

Uh...IIRC, Lucas hadn't decided whether or not Leia was Luke's brother until ROTJ. I could be wrong though.

9. stinrab

stinrab Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 9, 1998
    I, too, doubt that Lucas had this all planned out from day one. IMO, he's making it up as he goes along (though, he's also doing a very good job of putting together all the pieces)

10. joykiller

joykiller Jedi Youngling

May 27, 1999
    I think the logic goes... the dark side presence in the cave on Dagobah masks Yoda's force presence.

11. Garth Maul

May 18, 2002
    yeah, that's Timothy Zahn's explanation, and it's a good one.

But then my question is: what about Obi-Wan? Wouldn't his presence register in the GFFA? Is there a Dark Side user who meet their demise on Tatooine?

12. SLR

SLR Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 20, 2002
    This is the easiest question. The double suns would be murderous to Yoda's amphibiuos skin

13. Jedi_Lord_Windu

Jedi_Lord_Windu Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 21, 2003
    i dont think obiwan's force signal would be nearly as strong as yodas, i mean they dont seem to be in the same league in force ability

14. joykiller

joykiller Jedi Youngling

May 27, 1999
    But then my question is: what about Obi-Wan?

Yes, that is the question. As JLW said, Yoda's force power is obviously beyond Obi-Wan's.
    You'd think the emporer would still be able to find him though..
    Unless Obi-Wan lost some of his force ability somehow.

15. Master_Starwalker

Master_Starwalker Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 20, 2003
    Obi-Wan could also be hiding himself by not using the force much.

16. Garth Maul

May 18, 2002
    But to use your same argument, so could Yoda.

He seemed 1/2 crazy when Luke met him.

But then, you'd say, if Yoda didn't USE the Force, would the DS then register on Dagobah? You'd think Yoda would have to be constantly using the Force to get that neutralization effect.

I guess that's kind of a hole in that theory.

Or was Obi-Wan staying with Luke and Yoda hiding far away on Dagobah part of the Master Plan? (i.e., Jedi Foresight/the Prophecy).

There's only 2 Jedi left. Use one to watch over him, someone who won't cause much comment - obviously you'd choose crazy Ben over crazy Yoda.

Then have the other, more powerful Jedi watch things from afar as a backup plan - in case something happened to Jedi #1 Ben, and in case Luke actually did develop some connection with the Force and needed to be trained.

There - that's a relatively logical explanation. ;)

17. cucumber

cucumber Jedi Youngling

Oct 3, 2003
    am i going out on a limb thinking that darth vader knows he has a son in ANH? i should guess that that's why obiwan 'watches over' luke. vader doesn't know he has a daughter until ROTJ, so leia wouldn't need protecting, right?

as far as yoda, i would lean more toward the theory that degobah is a 'force rich' planet and he's using it to hide. though lucas might blow us all out of the water with the real reason in the third movie.

18. jedi_john_33

jedi_john_33 Jedi Master star 7

Sep 26, 2003
    i think obiwan waited for an oppurtune time to train luke on tatooine, and when luke was ready to continue his training, they would go to dagobah, where the dark side doesnt reach, because yoda has it contained in that cave

19. CaptainYossarian

CaptainYossarian Jedi Master star 3

Mar 30, 2003
    Maybe Yoda and OB1 went to hide separately and they didn't know what each other was doing.

20. kurtvonnegusson

kurtvonnegusson Jedi Youngling

Oct 4, 2003
    This last one sounds pretty likely. Unless Yoda was just putting on an act, in ESB he didn't even want to train Luke, saying that he was too old.

21. jasman

jasman Administrator Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 29, 1998
    The dry heat of Tatooine aggravates Yoda's sinus condition. He needs moist warmth so he can breathe.

22. Darthkarma

Darthkarma Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 30, 2000
    I didn't know Yoda had a sinus condition! :eek:

Does he suffer from hay fever too?

Is he allergic to mold? ;)

Bless his green little heart. I wonder is he responsive to anti-histamines from the Jedi pharmacy? Goodness, is there no limit to the expansion of detail in the
    Star Wars galaxy?

23. darthgrendel2003

darthgrendel2003 Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 5, 2003
    -yoda has no sinus condition according to lucas in a recent interview
    -though it would screw up the theory of anakin killing dooku, maybe it is dooku who is killed in the cave, though i'm willing to bet my life against that
    -yoda would definitely stick out on tatooine, while obi can blend in better since he isn't a two foot tall green gremlin looking mother.
    -vader and the emp. don't know if obi wan is dead or not, as tarkin states in anh, that "he surely must be dead by now", suggesting that obi wan just kind of fades away and the empire thinks he just croaked
    -its hard to hypothesize all these theories cuz all of this was not formulated when lucas originally though out the story (obi-wan and han were the same character at some point)
    -yoda must use the massive life presence on dagobah to hide his own presence, but why dagobah of all places?
    -just to say, everyone thinks obi wan is just some punk. clearly he is not. he hides, but only does so cuz the fate of the galaxy is in question.
    -think of all the jedi that are killed during the clone wars, and during the jedi purge. the only ones that survive are yoda and obi wan. everyone else dies. it's amazing when you think about it that the only jedi who survive out of nearly 10,000 are yoda, obi-wan and anakin/vader.
    -again, the eternal question of how smart it is to hide luke with obi wan on anakins home planet is brought up, but maybe the emperor has forbid vader from going there cuz it might awaken old feelings as anakin

24. vikingjedi1

vikingjedi1 Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 5, 2001
    It seems simple to me. In ROTJ Yoda tells Luke that "there is another" meaning another person with the gift. Luke then says its Leia.

If the fate of the galaxy is riding on 2 kids, wouldnt it be wise to split them apart instead of having both of them at the same place?

As for Yoda, I think he went into the swamps because it was one of the last places they would look. Like how the rebels hid on the ice planet Hoth in ESB.

I dont have a clue why Vader never found Luke. Maybe he did know about him and left him alone so that he could join the darkside when he became old enough? Im sure that question will be answered.

25. SULTANOFSITH

SULTANOFSITH Jedi Youngling

Dec 1, 2002
    Remember when Luke was approaching Dagobah in ESB and he said "massive life form readings,though.",I think this is why yoda is never known to be alive on Dagobah.The force is created by life("it surrounds,it penetrates us,it binds the galaxy together").I think the high volume of life-form energy acts as a "force-sheild"(no pun intended) for Yoda.Vader & Palpatine probably can't distinguish Yoda from everything else that's alive on the planet.Also,I agree;don't put all your eggs in one basket,or at least the same planet.Not to mention the whole theory with the cave.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.