1. Welcome, Guest

Upcoming events: Force Friday - 4th September, visit this thread for more details.

Supanova: Adelaide (20th-22nd November), Brisbane (27th-29th November)

Oz Comic Con: Brisbane (19th-20th September), Sydney (26th-27th September)

FF:NZ Why you can never get ahead in NZ

Discussion in 'Oceania Discussion Boards' started by Obi-Jace, Jul 4, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Obi-Jace Jedi Knight

star 3
    I'm about to start a rant so click back if you can't be bothered!
    Why is it that in NZ you seem to need a certain amount of money behind you to do anything? I had an interview at the Broadcasting School and to cut a long story short, they will accept me in three short courses that will only have 5 or 6 people in each. To say the least I was rapped about it cause I need to complete these courses to qualify for the Diploma full time course starting next year. The problems started when I contacted WINZ (Work and Income New Zealand) who now control all the student loans and benefits. The upshot of it all is, they won't give me a $1800 loan to do these courses. But if I manage to get in the full time course (impossible without doing the short courses) I will be entitled to a married persons student benefit which is a grand total of $257 a week! Also I could get another $19 for accomodation. My point is, is that if I went on a unemployment benefit I would get $320 and then accomodation on top to bring it up to around $360.
    Its almost like you are penalised for wanting to better yourself! I would be spending more money on a course than if I was sitting on the dole but the money makes it look like its the other way around! WINZ then also said thats only if I'm over 25 (I am) because under 25's get means tested based on their parents income! Thats rubbish as well, how many 25 year olds want to have to rely on their parents? And what about the cases of people who don't get on with their parents? I shifted out of home at 17 and supported myself through the last years of school, I know at 25 I wouldn't have got a red cent out of my parents! I can now see why so many students get upset with the current system.
    Well that was the rant, anyone else have similar stories to tell? Or a spare $1800 to fritter away?
  2. Chansplace Jedi Master

star 4
    well, I also have nothing nice to say about the tertiary education system, or WINZ for that matter. I'm paying close to $5000 for a 10 month diploma course.

because I'm still living with the folks, I'm entitled to a student allowance of a whopping $103pw. hardly enough to live on even when living with the comforts of home, and when I'll have a huge loan to pay off.

Don't get me wrongo, I'm enjoying the course!
  3. SWNZ Jedi Master

star 4
    I hear ya. I got screwed by winz when I did my polytech course. At the time I was living at home and they said I was entitled to $23 all up a week to live. They screwed up the paper work and 6 months later finally worked it out and I got given $104. Lucky I was at home cause I would have been living on the streets.
    Now I'm going back to school to do another 9month diploma course which will cost $6000 and i'm going to have to go through the whole process again. I was fortunate enough not have a student loan first time but I can't avoid it with this one.

You made a valid point Jace about the dole Vs Student loan. Why should students suffer for wanting to get up and do something with their life. Although I must say It's probably only a smaller percentage who take the dole to just bum around.
  4. ACERIMMERROCKS Jedi Master

star 4
    Im just glad im still in high school.
  5. Chansplace Jedi Master

star 4
    I wish I was.

I remember you saying high school sux, well just wait till you leave ace!
  6. Kitt327 Jedi Master

star 4
    Ah, WINZ.

Remember the Summer of Christine Rankin? I remember waiting and waiting for my allowance, and then, one day, three months after I mailed the application, I get a letter. I think 'Wow, they've finally approved it!'. But I open it, and it turns out they need to resight some evidence or other.

It was much better this year, I'll give them that.
  7. Obi-Jace Jedi Knight

star 3
    WINZ has been gracious enough to give me an interview on Thursday 12th. The woman on the 0800 number said she very much doubts they will lend/give me the money 'cause the maximum payments for things is usually $400!
    So I'll keep you posted with the continuing WINZ drama!
  8. Humble extra Jedi Youngling

star 5
    this sounds familiar

that 25 year old rule is pretty crazy, as is the no emergency dole if youra student who doesn't get the allowance.......gee, glad my parents are "rich"........i think most people had a a bad experience last year, i got the whole 6 weeks late deal, got registered for CITEC english school, in christchurch too, concurrent with my studies at otago:/ go figure

ace.....i wouldn't feel wuite so happy if i was you, as unless they reform the system totally you will get billed a lot more than we are.....as they have beenr unning down the tertiary institutions for 10 years......they simply cannot afford to let fees stay low anymore.....you could pay 10000 plus a year easily within a year or so
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.