main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Why Yuuzhan Vong invaded GFFA in first place?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Tod, Feb 13, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tod

Tod Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 29, 1999
    Why YV decided to move out of their own galaxy? I can think couple of possibilities:

1. Overpopulation? With YV style of life that doesn't seem too likely.

2. Limited resources? Since YV grow up everything then maybe they run out of rocks to feed their creatures.

3. Natural disaster? Galaxy-wide disaster, that's something new.

4. Desire of adventure? If they are so superior to everything, why bother.

5. War? If somebody drove YV out of their galaxy then that's pretty bad thing.

Have I missed something? Is there any hint why they have come to GFFA? Or is it still open mystery?

2. JEDI-SOLO

JEDI-SOLO Force Ghost star 6

Feb 12, 2002
    I'm not sure of the book but I remeber somthing about overpopulation>

3. chissdude10

chissdude10 Jedi Youngling star 5

Jul 26, 2001
    No it's likly beyond extent. It is because apparently because the "gods" say they should reclaim it.

4. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Bib Fortuna Twi'lek Jedi Youngling star 10

Jul 9, 1999
    You can find their reason in the last chapter of Balance Point: They are invading the galaxy because the GFFA uses machines, which is an insult to their gods.

5. ILLUMINATUS_JEDI

ILLUMINATUS_JEDI Jedi Master star 4

Nov 29, 2001
    Supreme Overlord Shrimma was told by Yun-Yuuzhan to claim a far away Galaxy and pointed them to the GFFA.

Basically, there doing it for the glory of the Gods. But since the discovery of the 8th Cortex, Shrimma is using that excuse for a different motive IMO.

6. chissdude10

Jul 26, 2001
    Discovey of the 8th cortex? I belive it was "descovered", way befor Yen Nim.

7. Roa

Roa Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 2, 2002
    As was said earlier Shimrra had a vision of a galaxy perverted by infidels. I also believe that it was mentioned a few times that the Yuuzhan Vong had destroyed most of their native galaxy.

8. ILLUMINATUS_JEDI

Nov 29, 2001
    I mean Nem Yin discovered what was in the 8th Cortex.

9. chissdude10

Jul 26, 2001
    Lumie, you don't know anything about the 8th cortex, stop making assumtions! It may not be important!

10. JHC_JEDI

JHC_JEDI Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 21, 2002
    How could the 8th cortex not be important? The Cortexes (sp) contain the technological knowledge given to the YV by their gods. Nem Yim was one of the first (probably after Shimra) that they had nearly exploited all that knowledge, meaning that the YV civilization is not able to advance further.

Something's got to give, either the YV become stagnant, and will eventually get beat down by the advancing technology of the Infidels, or the YV have to admit that they can advance technology on their own, not just based on what their gods have given them.

11. chissdude10

Jul 26, 2001
    Easy Del Rey said only the harbacks are important...

12. ILLUMINATUS_JEDI

Nov 29, 2001
  13. Tsavong_Lah

Tsavong_Lah Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 29, 2001
    Originally posted by Chissdude10:
    No it's likly beyond extent. It is because apparently because the "gods" say they should reclaim it.

A common misconception. As Roa has said, it was Shimrra that pointed them in the GFFA's direction. Not their gods. Shimrra is more like a prophet than a deity(a false prophet maybe,shades of Waco even).

14. BartSimpson-SithLord

BartSimpson-SithLord Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 24, 2002
    I think it is like the Aztecs (at least I think it was the Aztecs) who wondered around till they found what they had been told to look for, an eagle and a serpent( or something like that). Which they found in the middle of a lake ontop of which they built Tenochititlan. Thus the whole invasion could be their finding the eagle and serpent.

Sorry, I couldn't remember specific details.

15. NitpickerFlamerAlert

NitpickerFlamerAlert Jedi Youngling

Apr 27, 2001
    [image=http://www.spam.com/assets/es/es_b3.gif]

16. Nom Anor

Nom Anor TFN Books Staff star 4 VIP

Mar 4, 2000
    The 8th cortex was important due to the fact that is was empty. The whole point was that the knowledge given by the gods had run dry, and the way to create new knowledge was through heresy.

17. BobaFetts_Clone

BobaFetts_Clone Jedi Youngling star 2

May 12, 2001
    Shimmraa had a "vision" about the infedel galaxy and foresaw the YV taking over the galaxy. This was the reason for the invasion, but i doubt its the only reason. I don't know if they actually mentioned it, but overpopulation may have somethinf to do with it. Maybe even a plague or some disastewr in their home galaxy.

AS for the 8th cortex, i think its importance is that the Gods have not given the Vong anything new to combat with. I think Yen Nim will now go into "heresy" and develop new tech and it will be sadi to have come form the gods.

18. Jedi_Knight_Mike

Jedi_Knight_Mike Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 8, 2002
    there are several possible reasons all mentioned in the series as to the reason for invasion

1.Acting on a religious prophesy

2.A galactic war where the YV tried to convert all species but ended up fighting multiple wars with great loss (Heros Trial)

3.A civil war between the castes just before Shimerra's prophesy

19. BobaFetts_Clone

May 12, 2001
    Really?!? they mentioned the things other than the first one? You don't happen to know the ~pages in Hero's Trail or where the thrid one is? I'm surprised i don't rememebr something like that, i'm a pretty good reader and i get the details usually.

20. 181st Fighter Wing

181st Fighter Wing Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 8, 2000
    Mike Stackpole gave us clues to this in Onslaught. Remember when Luke and Jacen found the former coralskipper garden and discovered that the soil was exhausted? Growing Vongtech rapidly depletes a planets natural resources. The Vong used thier galaxy up.

21. darthjarjarbinks

darthjarjarbinks Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 3, 2000
    Bib Fortuna- "You can find their reason in the last chapter of Balance Point: They are invading the galaxy because the GFFA uses machines, which is an insult to their gods."

You don't think this is just a massive pretext for satisfying the needs of the upper echelons of Vong Society, of the people (and castes [ie priests]) who can make such a decree?

Religion and beliefs, in my opinion, serve largely as a pretense to satisfy the will of the powerful by utilising the emotions, beliefs and base instincts of the lesser.

There will be fanatics and those totally blinded by their faith who act fully in faith of a religious reason, but I don't think THAT was truly the driving force behind THIS invasion.

Given that most of them haven't touched a planet's surface for a long time/ever, this means one of two things...

i) their home-galaxy became too overpopulated to sustain them all or perhaps was taken over or destroyed (all good possibilities mentioned by you, TOD)

ii) They've been in deeeeeep space between galaxies for a looooong time.

22. DEWORE-DEWKNOT

DEWORE-DEWKNOT Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 17, 2002
    Jarjar

You are on the right track. The Essentail Guide to Aliens, Timetble says that an advance scout team came to GFFA 25 years before TPM. This means long term planning. The Vong bringing everybody along for the ride means more than just a military reason for the invasion. They ruined there home galaxy, knew it was so, sent a team "out ther " to find something new, found it and had to use "the gods" as an excuse to move the general population.

They couldn't tell there people that their way of life kills all that is around them. So they used the gods as a scapegoat, from a certain point of view

23. BobaFetts_Clone

May 12, 2001
    I must agree, even if religion is a BIG motivator for the Vong to come and invade the GFFA, it can't be the only reason. I figure it was an excuse used by the really high ups (Shimraa) to placate the warriors into thinking this crusade as a holy war, not a fight for territory. By making it a religious war, the warriors, and the other castes as well (except the shamed ones who've been forsaken by the gods) can thihk of their sacrifices as a sacrifice to the gods and everything they do is to further them.

Shimraa probabaly knows the real reason and his "visions" are no more than information from spys sent out years before.

24. darthjarjarbinks

darthjarjarbinks Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 3, 2000
    Dewore: "They couldn't tell there people that their way of life kills all that is around them. So they used the gods as a scapegoat, from a certain point of view"

particularly when its that way of life which sustains them as leaders of the Vong- the very means they use to control the people: religion.

25. Communista

Communista Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 9, 2001
    "ii) They've been in deeeeeep space between galaxies for a looooong time."

That's exactly it. We aren't seeing a military invasion FROM another galaxy, but an ENTIRE CIVILIZATION migrating into the GFFA. worldships are BIG. they've been in the void a long time. perhaps they've been repulsed form other galaxies. their ships are failing. the end is nigh. so Shimmrra makes his prophecy and a 50 year military build up begins. the scouts weren't coming from another galaxy, but from worldships sitting just beyond the "edge of the galaxy. Makes alot more sense.

Given their paranoid fear of droids, and mentions of civil wars and conflicts with other races in their home galaxy, its likely the Vong were forcibly expelled from their home or forced to abandon it due ot the devastatong conflict. remember, Yuuzhan'tar is "Long Lost".

cya

Communista

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.