Why'd They Die? - Deaths of TV & Movie Characters (Disc. Spider-Man 2)

Discussion in 'Archive: The Amphitheatre' started by Jedi_Master_Conor, Feb 9, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AnakinGirl05 Jedi Knight

star 3
    Liam definitetly had the best performance in TPM, he really was Qui Gon. I have to say, I too was suprised, and so sad, at his death. I thought that scene in particular is one of the best of the saga, brilliantly done by both him and Ewan.

I know he had to die to make the story more effective, and so that Obi could go on to train Anakin, but still....I wish he had at least made it to a blue ghostie in RotJ, like was originally intended.
  2. Beowulf Force Ghost

star 5
    Qui-Gon's death was the match that lit the fuse to the galactic powderkeg. Very well done. And he was the best performer in TPM, Ewan was #2.
  3. Jedi_Master_Conor Manager Emeritus

star 6
    SPOILER WARNING - WE DISCUSS DEATHS OF CERTAIN CHARACTERS IN TV SHOWS AND MOVIES HERE. PROCEED AT YOUR OWN RISK!

The next character death we will discuss is Lt. Ellen Ripley from Alien 3.

I know people will say she's still alive because of Alien Resurrection but I tend to try and disregard that movie. Here at the end of the movie the lone alien has been destroyed. Ripley is on the platform with the last remaining prisoner. We see Bishop II show up and say they want to destroy it and they have a medical vessel ready for the Alien queen to be taken out of Ripley. Ripley doesn't buy it and has the inmate move the platform over the blast furnace or whatever it is. Aaron realizes what Bishop II wants and hits him and he gets shot up. We see Ripley stand on the edge of the platform and fall backwards. The music is great and very epic here. When I first saw this I was sad that Ripley had to die but also happy at how Ripley's character was treated. She died killing the creature she has hated for so long. Discuss away!
  4. dp4m Chosen One

star 9
    I just want to see what Fincher originally wanted to do with Alien 3 rather than what Fox turned it into...

[face_plain]

The comics were indisputably a gazillion times better than the dreck they passed off as a "sequel" to Aliens; more depth, more resonance, better handling of the characters post-Aliens, etc...
  5. Jedi_Master_Conor Manager Emeritus

star 6
    i just remembered how in the theatrical cut we see Alien queen burst out of Ripley but in the director's cut we don't
  6. Zaz Jedi Grand Master

star 9
    Well, when Vader asks Luke to join him in ESB, Luke falls to what seems certain death instead. Nobody asks why. We all know.

And here, Ripley gets a Viking funeral of her choosing. She deserves it. And Valhalla. =D=
  7. Beowulf Force Ghost

star 5
    Ripley deserved a Viking funeral after the hell those creature put her through for so dadgum long. Both the theatrical and the uncut (the version on the SE DVD is not the director's cut, that will never leave 20th Century Fox's vaults, the version on the DVD is the original theatrical cut, from what I've heard) gave her a worthy and meaningful death. She destroyed the #1 threat to humanity, sacrificing herself to save the idiots of Weyland-Yutani.
  8. DarthBoba Manager Emeritus

star 9
    Go round up the assembly cut; it's quite widespread now. Superb film with easily a half-hour more run time.

And yeah, alot of the comics were vastly better. Dark Horse has a great track record with film-based comics, I've noticed. Aliens, Predator, various SW runs.
  9. Jedi_Master_Conor Manager Emeritus

star 6
    SPOILER WARNING - WE DISCUSS DEATHS OF CERTAIN CHARACTERS IN TV SHOWS AND MOVIES HERE. PROCEED AT YOUR OWN RISK!

The next character death we will discuss is the T-850 Terminator Character from Terminator 2.

It's the end of the movie and we have Sarah and John Connor, and the T-850 fighting the T-1000. T-850 destroys the T-1000 by shooting it with a grenade launcher and sending it into the molten metal. The T-850 is battle damaged and missing an arm. John tosses the arm and what remains of the chip they stole from Cyberdyne into the molten metal when it is realized that the T-850 has to destroy himself since he is the last chip in order for there to be nothing left to jeopardize the future. Very emotional scene with him and John as the T-850 has become sort of father figure almost to him. The T-850 grabs onto a chain and is slowly lowered into the molten metal with him giving a thumbs up as his body is finally put in for the final shot of him.

Discuss away!
  10. Beowulf Force Ghost

star 5
    Well, the Terminator had fulfilled it's purpose in protecting John Connor from the T-1000. And it also learned that when it died, Skynet would die as well. Very cool. And about the only time one would ever get a "lil choked up" during a Governator movie...
  11. Jedi_Master_Conor Manager Emeritus

star 6
    yeah. this is the only real emotional moment i've ever felt in an Arnold film.
  12. rumsmuggler Chosen One

star 7
  13. Yodas-evil-twin Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    While it didn't have the stupidity of the T-1000's last moments, I didn't really feel much of anything during this scene. I felt that Kyle's death in the first film was executed much more effectively.
  14. The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth

Manager
    star 10
    I dunno about that- it always kinda felt like Kyle died off screen for the most part, in a "oh, and he didn't surive, BTW" kinda way, so it never really hit emotionally. The T-800 (I think it's only a T-850 in T3) meanwhile made a willing sacrifice in a quiet moment before our eyes.
  15. Zaz Jedi Grand Master

star 9
    I think the death makes sense in the context of the story.
  16. Beowulf Force Ghost

star 5
    Especially if you've seen the extended editiono of T2 where Sarah and John do a master-reset on the Terminator, letting him go from read-only mode to learn-mode.
  17. Jedi_Master_Conor Manager Emeritus

star 6

The next character death we will discuss is of King Kong (1933 and 2005 Versions).

The endings to the 1933 and 2005 versions of King Kong are virtually the same. King Kong, the 25 foot gorilla, is brought to New York City and showed off to the world in chains. He breaks free and brings Ann Darrow to the top of the Empire State Building and is eventually brought down by the bi-planes. In the 2005 version you see more of a connection between Ann Darrow and Kong and the emotion between the two. However, no matter what version you see you can't help but feel sorry for Kong as he is misunderstood by the humans. In terms of the story his death is neccessary but still very tragic which is really shown in the 2005 version with the music in the last 15 minutes of the film.

Discuss away!
  18. Wilderness_Comedian Jedi Youngling

star 6
    Both versions are great. I thought PJ's version was really stunning. Even I felt bad for the big ape, and I'm not really a Kong fan. The music and visuals were terrific.
  19. Chancellor_Ewok Force Ghost

star 6
    Agreed. Peter Jackson's King Kong was a stunning follow up to Lord of the Rings. The man clearly a knack for epic film making.
  20. Zaz Jedi Grand Master

star 9
    I think KK had to die in the original so they could get in that stupid (and inaccurate) line: "'Twas beauty killed the beast."
  21. Kimball_Kinnison Chosen One

star 6
    Hey, where do you get off calling me a beast? :p

Kong had to die because the central theme of the film demanded it. King Kong shows, not only the beast who was tamed by the beauty, but also the beast that lies in the common human heart, and to cement that final theme, Kong had to die.

Kimball Kinnison
  22. Yodas-evil-twin Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    The death was the only highlight in that bloated, boring, and overindulgent mess of a movie that was the 2005 remake. And this is coming from a guy who loves LOTR

Peter Jackson, me and my dad did not come into that theater because we wanted to see your precious ship footage. There is a little device called an editing machine. Its purpose is to remove and splice together footage. Clearly, you did not have an editing machine for the production of King Kong.

The brawl is a perfect example. It goes on for far too long and gets dull after the first few minutes. But of course, you thought that every second of it was Oscar worthy footage, so you didn't bother to cut it down and speed up the pace4 of the film.
  23. soitscometothis Force Ghost

star 5
    I thought Jackson's King Kong was excellent. I loved all the character work before getting to the island. I loved the concealed Thompson sub-machine guns. I loved the whole island section. The third act was my least favourite, because of its tragic nature. And Kong had to die. That relationship was going nowhere. Relationships with actresses don't last, we all know that by now. Branjalina will go the same way, it's just a matter of time.
  24. Chancellor_Ewok Force Ghost

star 6
    I disagree. The T-rex was really well done.
  25. Zaz Jedi Grand Master

star 9
    The second version, which most people spit on (this is the one starring Jeff Bridges), makes Kong's iconic status to his people very clear. Without him, Bridges says, the people will decay.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.