main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Wich MovieMaking And FX Magazines?

Discussion in 'Fan Films, Fan Audio & SciFi 3D' started by Gardulo, Jan 3, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gardulo

Gardulo Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 21, 2002
    I was wondering wich ones do you guys read and recommend

I say Studio Multimedia
    it a french magazine about CG stuff you can get it in Europe or In Quebec or maybe in big book stores in the US

www.studiomultimedia.fr

2. Macho

Macho Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 21, 2001
    for movie production DV and videomaker for CG 3d world

3. Gardulo

Apr 21, 2002
    ?
    I dont understand what words go with what
    maybe put ponctuation?

4. malducin

malducin Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 23, 2001
    Cinefex, best darn magazine about VFX, pretty much a must read:

Cinefex

For CG, there is CGW (Computer Graphics World). Movie production, probably American Cinematographer and Millimeter.

5. Gardulo

Apr 21, 2002
    Can you get Cinefex in stores?

6. Gardulo

Apr 21, 2002
    Can you get Cinefex in stores?

7. PadawanNick

PadawanNick Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 6, 2001
    I've found issues of Cinefex at Barns&Nobel book stores in the US. Don't know about abroad.
    Great publication!!!
    Have fun!

8. Gardulo

Apr 21, 2002
    I just ran to the best magazine shop in my town and NO they dont have cinefex but I told them to order it

9. brokenglassltd

brokenglassltd Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 6, 2002
    Cinefex and 3D World. Animation magazine I'm wanting, but it's about $70 per year.

10. PixelMagic

PixelMagic Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 8, 2001
    Yes, Malducin and I are proud readers of Cinefex. I think he and I are probably the biggest VFX nerds on the forums..ha ha. I also read Computer Arts, Computer Graphics World, DV, 3D World, Photoshop User, and Computer VideoMaker

11. Gardulo

Apr 21, 2002
    Ok then, POP Quiz(without cheating)
    Did ILM work on the spoof of their own breaktrough creations in Spaceballs?

12. malducin

Oct 23, 2001
    Yes, they did the little dancing Alien embryo near the end of the film.

13. SovereignKnight

SovereignKnight Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 17, 2001
    Just got my issue of Cinefex a couple of days ago. It's got Gollum on the front. Best FX mag period, except every ad in the issue was a promo for Oscar consideration. Interesting.

SK

14. WhisperingDeath

WhisperingDeath Jedi Padawan star 4

May 25, 2002
    I do not like DV and videomaker. They review cameras and programs of which I already own substitutes of. And their '5 tips...' 'HOW TO BE A MASTER EDITOR' and such articles are basic things I learned back when I first got interested in film.

I have been meaning to find an issue of American Cinematographer but can't seem to find it at my local Barns and Noble nor anywhere else I frequent. And if I come across millimeter I will most definately give it a look.

15. NXTB

NXTB Jedi Youngling star 2

May 17, 2002
    Millimeter's Website maintains a number of interesting articles. I don't know how many more are in the actual magazine, but their website is worth a look.

Oh, and I too read, enjoy, and recommend Cinefex.

16. BrentK7

BrentK7 Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 20, 2000
    anyone know if you can get Cinefex at Borders? I dont' have a Barnes And Noble around here.

17. Macho

Macho Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 21, 2001
    i didn't see it at the large borders in LA. You can always order it off the net for probably the same price, it'll just take longer for you to get it.

18. Semaj Ovured

Semaj Ovured Jedi Master star 4

May 8, 2000
    American Cinematographer Magazine.

19. malducin

Oct 23, 2001
    Cinefex is not sold at a specific place so you have to look around. In my area it's sold at Borders. But a few years ago it was at Barnes and Noble, they stopped selling it but the next issue is when BOrders started carrying it. So if it's not at one go look at another. I've also seen it at a couple of Tower Records.

20. DorkmanScott

DorkmanScott Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    Yes, they did the little dancing Alien embryo near the end of the film.

ILM did the animatronic puppet? Weird. Not what you associate with ILM, I mean.

M. Scott

21. buliwif

buliwif Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 28, 2000
    Cinefex is about as close to a pro magazine as you can get... the ads listed in the magazine are for some serious studios (you GOTTA love that!)

i've always been a Fangophile (Fangoria) since my main interest lies in the special make-up effects arena, but unfortunately the magazine ain't like she used to be... now i read make up artist magazine

and yes... i still read Starlog... lol

22. malducin

Oct 23, 2001
    ILM did the animatronic puppet? Weird. Not what you associate with ILM, I mean.

Well ILM used to have what was called the Creature Shop, where they did a lot of the creatures for the Star Wars films. The Creature Shop worked on several other projects, like the Scolari brothers in Ghostbusters 2. As they became concentrated in VFX and with the emergence of the specialized makeup FX houses in the 80s there was less demand for it. They did hire people from time to time, say for example Walt Conti to build the miniature animatronic whales for Star Trek 4 but eventually the Creature Shop was no more. They still do a bit now and then but as part of the Model Shop, like R2D2.

23. Avene

Avene Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 28, 2000
    Comic shops sell Cinefex. Well, they're the only places you can buy it here in Sydney if they're not sold out. I missed the first LOTR and Ep2 issues, and will probably miss the current Two Towers issue if I haven't already.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.