main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Story [Wicked the Musical] - The Happiest Day in Oz

Discussion in 'Non Star Wars Fan Fiction' started by Fanficfan, Oct 12, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fanficfan

Fanficfan Jedi Master star 3

Jul 12, 2005
    Title: The Happiest Day in Oz
    Characters: Mostly Glinda
    Timeframe: 15 years after the end of Wicked
    Summary: While Oz celebrates the 15th anniversary of the Wicked Witch's death, Glinda visit a lonely graveyard.
    Notes: Just a (very) short viggie that bit me and demanded to be written. Reviews and constructive critism would be lovely.

Every year she came to this place. While the rest of Oz celebrated the demise of the Wicked Witch, Glinda the Good stood before a lonely grave in a lonely cemetery and wept. For every blazing fire cracker that exploded over the Emerald City another tear rolled down her cheek, for every roar of the cheering crowds another sob escaped her lips.

This year, as with every other year, she brought her goat with her. An old looking goat with a silly little waistcoat. Most Animals thought it a crime against their kind to dress their less evolved brethren in such an obviously mocking manor, but the old goat would savagely bite anyone foolish enough to try to remove it's coat. If anyone asked her, Glinda would simply say that as far as was concerned the old goat deserved his waistcoat and much more besides.

While Glinda wept over an unnamed grave the old goat carefully chewed away all the grass and weed, leaving only the single pink bloom that Glinda herself had planted there many years earlier. Once the goat had finished he sat down beside Glinda, who was by now on her knees. The goat nuzzled against her side in an effort to comfort the distraught witch. She just sobbed all the more as she turned and wrapped the goat in a desperate hug, her face buried in his fancy waistcoat.

?Excuse me miss Glinda, I don't mean to intrude but are you all right??

The Good Witch lifts her head up and wipes her eyes but does not turn to face the woman behind her, ?I'll be fine. I've just come to visit an old friend. I'd very much like to be alone please.?

?Sorry to disturb you miss Glinda. It's just that, today's a celebration. It's the happiest day of the year for everyone in Oz.?

?Not for everyone,? Glinda whispers, just barely loud enough to be heard. ?Not for me.?

There was silence for a while and Glinda was starting to think the woman had left, ?who was your friend??

?Someone I went to school with. She was... She was killed by the Wicked Witch just before her death.?

?Oh, I'm... I'm so sorry to hear that. She must have been very special person for you to still miss her so much.?

For the first time that day Glinda smiled, not a large smile by any means, but a smile none-the-less. ?Yes she was,? Glinda replied, ?she was very special indeed.?

?I'll leave you with your very special friend then miss Galinda, and though I wish the circumstances were happier it was a true joy to see you again.?

?Thank you, it was nice to...? she trailed off as the strangers last sentence ran through her mind. ?What did you call me?? Glinda shot to her feet and spun around but the woman was already walking away, her loose black hair flowing down her back. ?Wait!? she yelled as she gathered her skirts and chased after the tall woman. She stopped, still with her back turned as Glinda came to a halt a few steps behind her.

?No one has called me that for more than 16 years and the tiny handful of people who did know me by that name are either dead or would never use it. So then...?

The tall woman didn't move, didn't speak. The silence seemed to drag on for an eternity until the goat nudged Glinda with one of his horns. In his mouth was the solitary pink bloom from the grave. With trembling fingers Glinda took the flower and slowly closed the distance with the mysterious woman. She carefully reached up and pushed the stem under the black tresses before stepping back.

?You know, you were right all those years ago,? the woman said as she turned around. ?Pink does go good with green.?

2. Mira_Jade

Mira_Jade The (FavoriteTM) Fanfic Mod With the Cape star 5 Staff Member Manager

Jun 29, 2004
    Oh, thank-you so very much for writing this. It was . . . closure, almost, to read it. [face_love]

Your tone was lovely, and your prose was soft and smooth - I like the shortness of the vig, that lets us imagine as much as it tells. :) I liked the touch of Dr. Dilliamond still wearing his waistcoat; and how you never come out and say that Galinda's visitor is Elphaba . . . The 'pink goes with green' . . . lovely! [face_love]

Really, great job here! =D=

(My only suggestion would be to space the paragraphs - it's helpful to those of us with bad eyes. Like me. ;) [:D])

:D

~MJ @};-

3. FelsGoddess

FelsGoddess Jedi Master star 5

Sep 5, 2004
    That was lovely. @};-

The closing line was perfect.

4. Fanficfan

Jul 12, 2005
    Mira_Jade - All spaced for your viewing pleasure [face_peace] Thanks for your kind words. I wanted closure too, that's where the story came from. And I had to know what happened to Dr Dilliamond after everything so he went in.

FelsGoddess - I'm very pleased you enjoyed it :) that's what I aim for when I write. That last line popped into my head about half way through and I decided that I was going to finish with it. Glad it worked

5. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    Fun peek into a seldom seen fandom. Always did like Glinda :D

6. Raphire

Raphire Jedi Knight star 4

Dec 19, 2008
    Thank you! I've wanted to write this ever since my girlfriend made me watch the musical. (Not that I regretted it, Wicked will always be my favorite musical along with Rent)

Loved the closing line it was really powerful. I also was very happy that you added the Prof.

7. Fanficfan

Jul 12, 2005
    Jade_eyes - Glad you liked it :)

Raphire - I've dragged a few people to wicked, seen it 5 times now... That last line seems to have gone down a treat and I had to include Dillamond.

8. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    Oh, I love it!! Like Mira said, it's great closure. I love that Glinda still mourns - and that Elphaba came back. And the last line was PERFECT :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.