main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

NYC, NY Wicked!

Discussion in 'NorthEast Regional Discussion' started by LadySith, Jan 28, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LadySith

LadySith Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 5, 2000
    Just got in from seeing Wicked and all I can say is WOW!

If you are like me and loved the bad guys, if you love The Wizard of Oz, if you enjoy musicals that make excellent social commentary without seeming preachy or if you just like good musicals then this is the play for you.

Without giving things away, the end of the first act is simply breathtaking. And this play really gives menaing to "A certain point of view" This play changes nothing from the original Movie we know. Instead it just shows us things in a different light...THIS is what a prequal should be. BRAVO!

2. ThePariah

ThePariah Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 24, 2003
    Hey, no wonder Mark gave it such a sparkly review. :D

Hmm, methinks we need to abduct GL and make him watch this... [face_laugh]

3. LadySith

Dec 5, 2000
    The other thing Mario pointed out is, there is much of a SW feel in this play. And since Mario is only a casual SW fan, I was glad to hear him say that as I was afraid if I said it first, he would accuse me of SW on the brain. :D

4. BellaSabrina

BellaSabrina Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 13, 2002
    My best friend went to see it last night too! Did you read the book, Chris?

5. LadySith

Dec 5, 2000
    No I have not read the book yet but I definitely will now!

I Am still digesting everything I saw and heard last night...what a great show!

6. BellaSabrina

BellaSabrina Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 13, 2002
    A bunch of my friends have read the book and have LOVED it. I'm going to buy it either today or tomorrow. My best friend told me that it was simply amazing and sooooo worth it. Now I want to go see it, and she'll go again with me...since I know a certain Emperor who won't go. ;)

7. LadySith

Dec 5, 2000
    Mario had zero interest before hand and he left LOVING it!

I want to get a group together to go back....I know I missed too much lasst night!

8. cyranodb

cyranodb Jedi Master star 4

Aug 26, 2001
    For those of us that aren't fan of the theater...Wicked is about..what?

9. LadySith

Dec 5, 2000
    It is mainly a prequal to The Wizard of Oz, with a few events happening during and after Oz. But, SOME people could take lessons from this prequel! :D

It tells the story of Glinda The Good Witch and Elphaba The GREEN Witch. Among it's many social messages it reminds us that labels exist on people and events because we put them there, and Good and Evil is sometimes subject to opinion. It has many political messaages that are quite relevant today. The most amazing thing is it does not rewrite the Wizard of Oz..it just shows us that many of the truths they cling to in OZ (and here) depends on a certain point of view." :D :D :D

10. Jediwoman

Jediwoman Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 17, 2003
    Who'd a thunk!! It sounds like the Jedi!! :D

Hee hee, actually, if a group of sorts may be forming to go see this, I may potentially join you. :) How much were the tickets?? I've been begging Dion to take me ever since I saw the signs for it around New Years on the way to Zippy's house. LOL.

-Tanya

11. LadySith

Dec 5, 2000
    Tickets are around 100 for orchestra and 60 for Mezzinine. They do offer group discounts and if we can get 20 together I can look into it.

12. mikadojedi

mikadojedi Jedi Master star 4

Sep 25, 2003
    I am glad you enjoyed Wicked. A group purchase sounds great. "Count me in."

I saw "Avenue Q" and loved it. It is a subversive, alternate version of Sesame Street. It was great fun. Laugh out loud funny one moment. Then emotionally powerful the next. NOT FOR YOUNG CHILDREN, by the way. I do not wish to offend any young ones by quoting. Or spoiling the surprises that await. The Playbill does not list the songs even. It would spoil the surprise, like the CD for EP1. Check the website avenueq.com

13. idarii

idarii Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 25, 2002
    wow, they made a play out of this? i remember about 5-6 years ago, my friend recommended this book to me. i hope this comes around to providence or boston.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.