main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Widescreen or Full Screen - Which Do You Prefer?

Discussion in 'Archive: Attack of the Clones' started by LordMaul99, Nov 12, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dehrian

dehrian Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 18, 1999
    widescreen

2. anidanami124

anidanami124 Jedi Master star 6

Aug 24, 2002
    Widescreen all the way.

3. Grand_Moff_Jawa

Grand_Moff_Jawa Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 31, 2001
    I buy only widescreen DVD's. Keeping reading though...

I just bought a new JVC DVD player (XV-S500 with progressive scan) that has a zoom function. Not only does it zoom IN to make the picture larger, but it also zooms OUT. I tried zooming out on a widescreen DVD, which is being played on a 27" JVC TV through component video inputs, and saw even MORE picture than the regular widescreen setting. Poeple, even widescreen movies don't give 100% of the image it seems. All of my DVD's show more picture information when I zoom out. And the picture doesn't grow tiny either, I gain about an inch on each side of the screen. There are four black borders now. The two on top and bottom being the biggest. There is more to be seen! I was amazed and a little pissed that I thought I'd been seeing DVD's in their entirety all this time simply because I bought the widescreen version. My TV is brand new and not out of adjustment in any way. Trust me, there are things I am seeing that can't be seen on the regular widescreen setting. Nothing HUGE or earth shattering, but there ARE important things revealed sometimes. I wish I could find a way to show examples of what I'm seeing!

4. CarbonKnight

CarbonKnight Jedi Youngling star 4

Apr 19, 2002
    I picked up Widescreen but the fact is I wish I could see it larger. Is it true that in Australia they have it encoded so you can choose Widescreen or Full Screen, and it does the Pan and Scan based on dimensions from the code? That would be cool.

Too bad the Fullscreen has the stupid Blue bar thing. However, I think there were more Full Screen copies of Spider-Man than Widescreen and the store I went to seemed to have more space allotted to Full Screen. Most people hate the black bars as they call them and have a point.

5. _dArTh_SoLo

_dArTh_SoLo Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 11, 2002
    Widescreen, no doubt!

ATTENTION

If you do not want the "black bars", do what I did. I have a 20 inch flat screen toshiba (my parents have a 50 in. widescreen but that doesn't matter :)). I used my DVD remote and went to settings (or preferences, not sure...), and changed the aspect ratio to WIDESCREEN from 4:3. No more black lines!

True, at first everything seems condensed horizontally, but, I can't tell the difference anymore!

And it doesn't look half bad...

6. Mirha-Fator

Mirha-Fator Jedi Youngling

Aug 15, 2001
    "I just bought a new JVC DVD player (XV-S500 with progressive scan) that has a zoom function. Not only does it zoom IN to make the picture larger, but it also zooms OUT. I tried zooming out on a widescreen DVD, which is being played on a 27" JVC TV through component video inputs, and saw even MORE picture than the regular widescreen setting. Poeple, even widescreen movies don't give 100% of the image it seems. All of my DVD's show more picture information when I zoom out. And the picture doesn't grow tiny either, I gain about an inch on each side of the screen. There are four black borders now. The two on top and bottom being the biggest. There is more to be seen! I was amazed and a little pissed that I thought I'd been seeing DVD's in their entirety all this time simply because I bought the widescreen version. My TV is brand new and not out of adjustment in any way. Trust me, there are things I am seeing that can't be seen on the regular widescreen setting. Nothing HUGE or earth shattering, but there ARE important things revealed sometimes. I wish I could find a way to show examples of what I'm seeing!"

The reason why you see more when you zoom out is because of something called overscan...all TVs do it...typically in the range of about 3-5% on all sides - this is to ensure that even crappy TVs with sub-standard voltage regulators can display the image on the screen - broadcasters know about this and will ensure that any text they display is within the safe zone

By the way on a widescreen TV (1.78:1) overscan is why you don't see black bars with a 1.85:1 movie - the black bars are there just hidden in the part that is over-scanned

Widescreen is the way to go...

7. yodaschum

yodaschum Jedi Padawan star 4

May 9, 2002
    Pan & scan, should be banned!

8. mjerome3

mjerome3 Jedi Knight star 6

May 11, 2000
    I just picked up my reserved copy today. Widescreen, baby!

9. Luke_Skywalker_12

Luke_Skywalker_12 Jedi Knight star 5

Sep 11, 2002
    Widescreen!!!!!!

10. ENEMY

ENEMY Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 30, 2002
    How wonderful to here everyone sees the light with widescreen. i remember a few years ago arguing with EVERYONE that widescreen ruled when i purchased the directors cut edition of blade runner (great movie for WIDESCREEN).

Constant arguments about the BLACK BARS. I was like "no you fools!, (huge long explanation, argument) your missing half the movie!" seeing this broad sweping picture made epic movies...more epic

I luved widescreen immediately. it wasnt like watching just television. you knew you were watching A MOVIE.......silly, but theres my story...glad to see most worship the widescreen...

thats interesting about panning out even with widescreen, never realised that.....peace

11. weezyslob

weezyslob Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 3, 2002
    The only full-screen version of star wars I have is the VHS OT and I hate it. Why is it full-screen. You can't even see the opening crawl (or whatever it's called), and that by itself tells you that the movie was made to be seen in widescreen. Widescreen all the way. I used to think full-screen was better and I was a fool.

12. smauldookie

smauldookie Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 5, 2002
    widescreen people = smart people or YODA!
    fullscreen people = dumb people or JAR JAR!

[face_laugh]

13. Happy Ninja

Happy Ninja Jedi Knight star 6

Mar 20, 2000
    W I D E S C R E E N
    -------------------

Even though the TV in my bedroom is only 14", I wouldn't have AOTC any other way. It's the wide way, or the highway.

Also, I'm getting a 42" widescreen plasma TV in the new year, so I have to have something worthy to christen in with! :D

14. poweranger

poweranger Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 21, 2002
    full screen because its full screen... unless you own one of those megasize tv's where you can see all the details widescreen includes.

15. Rikalonius

Rikalonius Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 26, 2001
    Is this really a question? Widescreen, Widescreen. Unless your watching it in IMAX, then it can be forgiven, cause size matters.

16. THE_DOODE

THE_DOODE Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 3, 2001
    haha the guy at the store gave me full screen and i already opened it so i took it back and said it was broken so i could get widescreen

i'm such a little bas*ard

17. Padawan915

Padawan915 Jedi Master star 6

Oct 1, 2002
    This shouldn't even be asked. Widescreen is the format of choice. I refuse to buy any movies that are not widescree. AOTC is sooo awesome in WS that it's not even funny. I just wish I had a bigger TV. That's what Christmas is for though.

18. Ozzel

Ozzel TF.N Foreign Book Covers Staff star 5 VIP

May 14, 2001
    widescreen people = smart people or YODA!
    fullscreen people = dumb people or JAR JAR!

But I like Jar Jar. :D

As I've said many a time before, widescreen!

Really, with a 2.35:1 ratio film like Star Wars, you lose 43.4% of the picture with Pan & Scan. Add in the bit of overscan and, well, you miss almost half of the picture. That's downright pathetic. [face_plain]

But, "bring warm feelings to my heart" it does to see that my fellow Star Wars fans know better. :)

19. Anti_Force

Anti_Force Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 11, 2002
    Widescreen is better because you can see more of the scenes.

20. Tobey-Wan

Tobey-Wan Jedi Master star 9

Jun 12, 2001
    Widescreen no doubt.

My wife brought home a fullscreen copy over the weekend (a perk of working at a video store) and while I was watching it I noticed many places where things were cut off. Very happy to get my widescreen yesterday.

21. JeffKenobi

JeffKenobi Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 11, 2002
    I just got a Plasma Widescreen. As I began to watch my first DVD on it, I was disturbed to notice the black bars on the top and bottom, just as with a regular 4:3 TV. The movie looked absolutely terrific, and was definitely better than a regular screen TV, but I was disappointed. I thought the whole point of getting a WS TV was to avoid the black bars. Anybody know how to fix that?

(This probably belongs in a Plasma TV forum, but this was the first forum I could find)

22. Darth Maulligan

Darth Maulligan Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 4, 1999
    JeffKenobi, I just bought a 50" Rear Projection Widescreen (16:9) TV as well. That 27" wasn't cutting it.

You'll find that films are released in more than one widescreen aspect ratio. Star Wars (LOTR, etc) is 2.35:1. Spiderman (Lilo and Stitch, etc.) is in a format that fits our 16:9 sets perfectly - 1.85:1 I think. It's the director's choice what format to shoot the film in...

23. Miles Lodson

Miles Lodson Chosen One star 4

Jul 10, 1998
    I prefer the version of the film that doesn't cut off half the picture.

24. entfirst

entfirst Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 21, 2002
    "I thought the whole point of getting a WS TV was to avoid the black bars. Anybody know how to fix that?"

Widescreen TV's are usually 1.78:1
    Take a film like Spider-Man. Its framed at 1.85:1 and this means on a widescreen TV you don't get black bars.

All Star Wars films are framed 2.35:1 so the black bars are made smaller. Understand.

25. hippie1kenobi

hippie1kenobi Force Ghost star 4

Apr 28, 2002
    What happens when yo watch something in 4:3 on a WS TV, does it put black bars on the side?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.