main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Widescreen or Full Screen - Which Do You Prefer?

Discussion in 'Archive: Attack of the Clones' started by LordMaul99, Nov 12, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pinhead

pinhead Jedi Youngling

Dec 6, 2002
    And if you can't return your fullscreen DVD's, use them as killer frisbees like in Predator 2, to decapitate people who continue to buy fullscreen.

2. JediMasterGuff

JediMasterGuff Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 18, 2002
    Or give them away as X-Mas pressies to cousins or someone.

3. Jack-D-Ripper

Jack-D-Ripper Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 21, 2002
    This question's a TOTAL no-brainer. W I D E S C R E E N of course. No pan 'n scam for me. It cuts off almost 50% of the picture, 25% on either side, it destroys the camera setups, ruins the depth-of-field, and hides much of the visual effects. Furthermore, you have a non-anamorphic DVD transfer (compression artifacts, anyone?) and, when one upgrades to a 16:9 TV set (which will totally replace regular sets before long) you'll be stuck with black bars on the SIDES of your $3000 TV. "Full Screen" should really be called "Half Screen" because you lose 50% of your image. Avoid "full screen" DVD's like the plague. You WILL be sorry later if you have pan 'n scam DVD's. Total waste of time.

-JDR.

4. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    W I D E S C R E E N for me. Full-screen sucks jawa juice.

Although AOTC isn't terribly bad in fullscreen, it's still better off widescreen.

And I think TPM suffers horribly from fullscreen, given that it's primarily a visual movie..

5. SITHlover

SITHlover Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 30, 2002
    Let's look at it this was, for all of you out there who only knew the OT on full screen VHS, how wonderful was it to finally see the Special Editions in widescreen in the theater and see ALL THIS PICTURE that you didn't even know existed.

Full screen is for people who think Star Wars is just another sci-fi flick, and for Star Trek fans. lol.

6. DamonD

DamonD Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 22, 2002
    Exactly, SITHlover.

I'd always owned full screen versions of the SW films, until I decided finally to try widescreen when the Special Editions came out.

And yes, I WAS amazed at how much I'd been missing. A smaller picture (vertically) was more than a fair exchange for the extra detail I discovered. For example, I'd totally forgotten that IG-88 was standing next to Boba Fett for his first close-up in ESB. You just don't see him in full screen.

After this, of course, I made sure to get full screen DVDs for TPM and AOTC :)

7. ST-TPM-ASF-TNE

ST-TPM-ASF-TNE Moderator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 27, 2001
    Fullscreen is evil and should rot in hell :mad: :mad:

:D

:mad:

8. -_-_-_-_-_-

-_-_-_-_-_- Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 28, 2002
    Widescreen is the truth.

9. Jack-D-Ripper

Jack-D-Ripper Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 21, 2002
    Full screen is for people who think Star Wars is just another sci-fi flick, and for Star Trek fans. lol.

Haaay, I take exception to that! ;) Star Trek fans (clever ones, anyway) are just as obsessive about Widescreen as any other film buffs. I had to live with a pan 'n scam VHS copy of Star Trek: The Motion Picture for years, and getting the widescreen DVD was a REVELATION.

-JDR.

10. Adam-Wan-Kenobi

Adam-Wan-Kenobi Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 8, 2002
    Guys Im here to tell you the great news, I just got back from exchanging my spiderman and AOTC dvds for the widescreen versions, and I must say it is like watching the movies for the first time all over again.
    I dont care if the picture is smaller I get more fr my money.
    DEATH TO FULLSCREEN.
    AOTC widescreen format looks a lot better on my 25'tv, than fullscreen did.
    thanks for your help.

11. cratylus

cratylus Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 9, 2001
    I freaked out when I received the fullscreen version for Christmas.

Fortunately I recovered and was able to exchange it.

I would rather not have it than have the fullscreen version.

12. Otis_Frampton

Otis_Frampton LFL Artist, Moderator Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 7, 2001
    Widescreen all the way, when that's the OAR.

I'll never understand people who say they love film but fail to see the reasons behind watching a film in its original aspect ratio because they "don't see the difference".

W I D E S C R E E N

E S C R

See the difference?

-Otis

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.