main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Widescreen or Fullscreen?

Discussion in 'Archive: The Amphitheatre' started by JediTrilobite, Oct 15, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheArchon

TheArchon Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 16, 2003
    Widescreen without a doubt. It feels, wrong to watch it in full, unless you're in the movies.

2. Gobi-1

Gobi-1 Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 22, 2002
    The only full screen dvd I have is Wrongfully Accused with Leslie Neilsen. I only got it because they did not have widescreen plus it's hard to find, so I got it while I could.

3. Lurking_Around

Lurking_Around Jedi Knight star 6

May 26, 2002
    Heh, as long as I can get the LOTR movies in Widescreeen, I'm happy. All other movies can have whatever versions :p

4. THE ELECTRIC MAYHEM

THE ELECTRIC MAYHEM Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 6, 1999
    "Pan and Scan" is just like NAMBLA...

They should both be illegal(and in a pefrect world they would be)!

This issue just makes MAYHEM want to hurt people...

WIDESCREEN... "it is the only way!"

Hell, it only took three years of marriage, but MAYHEM finally convinced his wife that WIDESCREEN is the only way to go. You would not believe how many P/S VHS to W/S DVD comparisons MAYHEM had to do!

TEETH OUT
    :D

5. AnikaAnakin

AnikaAnakin Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 4, 2003
    I have about 200 DVDs and only 1 is in fullscreen (If you don't count TV series DVDs), but I didn't know that when I bought it (if I did I wouldn't have bothered).

6. -_-_-_-_-_-

-_-_-_-_-_- Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 28, 2002
    Widescreen.

Why pay the same price for something and get half the original image.

7. JediTrilobite

JediTrilobite Jedi Grand Master star 7

Nov 17, 1999
    Widescreen looks better, all around.

Does anyone like fullscreen compared to widescreen?

8. Devilanse

Devilanse Jedi Knight star 5

May 11, 2002
    I have been a fan of widescreen ever since I was a young 'un. The first time I ever knew the difference is when a cable network advertised they were going to show the Star Wars Trilogy in "letterbox" format.

I watched not only to see my beloved trilogy...but to find out what "letterbox" was.

I've never looked back. Fullscreen? Bah.

9. Lord_Hydronium

Lord_Hydronium Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 11, 2002
    Does anyone like fullscreen compared to widescreen?

I do! I also like it when books have half their pages missing, and when CDs have the ends of the songs cut out!

In all seriousness, though, widescreen is the only way. It's too bad that consumers who don't know any better are ruining it for everyone else. I once saw a guy watching FOTR in P&S. It was painful. I had no idea that only five men and two elves ended up getting rings!

10. Darth_Goofy

Darth_Goofy Jedi Master star 4

May 8, 2001
    Widescreen is by far the supirior way to watch a movie. I can't decide which is more painful: watching someone buy a pan and scan movie, or actually watching a pan and scan movie.

I usually show this site to people who have a tough time figuring out the difference between p&s and widescreen. Ever-so-informative.

11. JediTrilobite

Nov 17, 1999
    Very informative

12. weezer

weezer Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 16, 2001
    Very anoying :p

Digitalbits's widescreen-o-rama is my favorite site to send people to.

13. JediTrilobite

Nov 17, 1999
  14. Da-Observer

Da-Observer Jedi Youngling

Sep 30, 2003
    Widescreen, baby. I want to see everything that is supposed to be in the shot, unlike in foolscreen.

15. Sam_Skywalker

Sam_Skywalker Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 30, 2003
    foolscreen

[face_laugh]

16. Dragar

Dragar Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 17, 2002
    Widescreen, no question.

17. Jedi Daniel

Jedi Daniel Chosen One star 5

Apr 7, 2000
    Widescreen easily.

18. Kinobe

Kinobe Jedi Master star 4

Apr 27, 2003
    Add me to the Widescreen list ;) Like mentioned in that article, I have a friend who prefers fullscreen to widescreen cos "you get the full picture". Every time I explain why widescreen is better... :D

On DVDs here in the UK, you don't actually have any choice in the matter anyway, pretty much all DVDs are widescreen (there is the occasional DVD with widescreen on one side and fullscreen on the other,eg the South Park movie). Pre-DVD there used to be the choice of widescreen and fullscreen VHS, but now it seems it's widescreen only on DVD and fullscreen only on VHS, which of course is a good thing i reckon. ;)

19. Darth_Banal

Darth_Banal Jedi Knight star 6

Jul 22, 2002
    Widescreen of course.

Does anyone know why distributors insist on releasing Widescreen only or Fullscreen only DVDs here in the US? I've got several titles that have both on the same disc, you can chose. Mission Impossible and Toy Story 2 come to mind. Releasing them that way would keep everyone happy.

It's irritating because my local video store sells DVDs really cheap, but the widescreens always sell out. They've got a ton of fullscreens that have been on their shelves for months, collecting dust. Frustrating.

20. weezer

weezer Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 16, 2001
    Because Fullscreen outsells Widescreen by a pretty large margin (or at least that was traditonaly true, it might be diffrent now). Thats why when you go to wal-mart fullscreen out ranks widescreen 3:1.

They almost always offer you a choice now. For awhile there were some that you could only get widescreen (the Matrix pops to mind first) but I can't think of a recently released movie that doesn't have both. I feel lucky that we still get the choice. A couple of the major studios have been talking about going fullscreen only for awhile now :_|

21. itchytasty79

itchytasty79 Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 2, 2001
    My wife and I also agree with you on this topic, Darth_Banal. Men in Black also has that feature. I think one reason to continue marketing them seperately is (and this has no evidence to back it up except my own common sense) that it may free up more room for extras on the disc if you put only one version of the film on the disc. Some of my other hypotheses for why they don't put both on each disc (my own counterarguments are in italics:

1) Cost. It may take longer to burn both copies of the film onto each disc. Time is money.
    -Faulty Reasoning: none. I can't argue. However, see point number 4 below, they could make more money out of the deal...maybe.

2) Appearance. Some of my DVD's have widescreen on one side, fullscreen on the other. These films have no art on either side since the player has to be able to read both sides of the disc. People are used to having pretty pictures on their CD's, marketing may assume that they want pretty pictures on their DVD's as well.
    -Faulty Reasoning: The films looks the same on my TV regardless of how pretty the top of the DVD looks. Make the case look pretty. We all survived for many long years with ugly black VHS tapes. I don't think that a lack of picture on our media will drive us away from the market.

3) Convention. This is how films have always been sold to video. It worked in the past, why change it now?
    -This reasoning is of course silly. It makes much more sense to use the available technology. If you have both on every disc, then you don't have to worry about multiple fullscreen copies of DVD's laying around in inventory.

4) Space. As mentioned above, two versions of a film probably take up as much space as two copies of the film on a given disc. If you want boku extras on the disc as well, then you may need an extras disc.
    -Faulty reasoning: if you sell it as a two disc set you can charge more for less. The price rise for a two disc DVD as opposed to a single disc DVD is much greater than the cost to produce a single disc. Give me my choice and an extras disc.

22. JediTrilobite

Nov 17, 1999
    Some even offer you the choice no matter what you purchase. They've got one side with one, and the other side with the other.

23. itchytasty79

itchytasty79 Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 2, 2001
    That is, in my opinion, the optimal way to sell DVD's JediTrilobite. :D

That way I don't have to drive all the way back to the store when I grab the wrong DVD because I failed to look for the little nondescript bar across the top of the DVD. (Can you tell this has happened to me before?)

24. Jedi knight Pozzi

Jedi knight Pozzi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 2, 2000
    How popular are Widescreen TVs these days? Are they selling well?

25. Master-Kenobi

Master-Kenobi Jedi Master star 5

Sep 20, 2002
    I like Widescreen :) I use to like fullscreen but in widescreen you get to see so much more :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.