main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Widescreen or Fullscreen?

Discussion in 'Archive: The Amphitheatre' started by JediTrilobite, Oct 15, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. weezer

weezer Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 16, 2001
    How popular are Widescreen TVs these days? Are they selling well?

They aren't. You give people the option of widescreen vs full and they'll take the full. We seldom sell widescreen tvs because people are "excited" about the format. We sell them because its the only option for people that want a projection/hdtv. Now that companies are starting to make 4:3 HDTVs they are selling. Traditonal CRT TVs are an even harder sell. I've had one person come in and actually look at one and consider buying it. I show them to other people and they give me the same "but part of the picture is cut off" or "its so short" argument that you get with widescreen dvds.

2. Iconic

Iconic Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 25, 2003
    I always get WIDESCREEN movies, but lack a widescreen TV...that's my next step.

3. ArnaKyle

ArnaKyle Jedi Master star 4

Nov 12, 2000
    Well, don't I feel like a shmuck.

I just told my mom to botch the fullscreen decision I made yesterday and buy me Indiana Jones on widescreen instead after reading this. I honestly had no idea--but then again, I'm used to watching movies on tv.

Look, you've saved another one! ;)

4. Lord_Hydronium

Lord_Hydronium Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 11, 2002
    You have chosen...wisely.

5. rpeugh

rpeugh Force Ghost star 4

Apr 10, 2002
    That's good. You've taken your first step into a larger world.

6. rpeugh

Apr 10, 2002
    Full screen should be banned. I have actually read articles that have made a good case out of why they should be banned. The artist should be allowed to present the movie the way he wants it to be seen.

7. rpeugh

Apr 10, 2002
    My ultimate goal is to buy a widescreen t.v.. When I go out on my own, I will only buy the very most important things: the smallest apartment I can find (but decent quality and with a kitchen and sink), food, pay the necessary bills, toiletries, a few plates and silverware, and I already have a bed. After those things, I will save my money for the biggest and highest quality widescreen t.v. I can find. I will buy nothing else until I have that widescreen t.v. (except for maybe some dvds). Furniture can wait.

8. JediTrilobite

JediTrilobite Jedi Grand Master star 7

Nov 17, 1999
    Look, you've saved another one!

YAY!

Glad this thread is doing some good.

9. Darth_Elu

Darth_Elu Chosen One star 7

Jan 2, 2003
    I like Fullscreen better than widescreen.....because i said so.

10. JediOverlord

JediOverlord Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 28, 2000
    I like Widescreen because it gives off an epic quality. I try not to be a widescreen nut when it comes to buying movies,but for some movies I'll go for the widescreen version. When I bought the Animal House Double Secret Probation Edition DVD,the only copies my local Wal-Mart had were fullscreen,but since I've been wanting to get Animal House on DVD,and since I don't mind comedies in either format,I went for it.

I think if you want to convert someone to widescreen,use common examples. Like in ANH,when Luke is using his binoculars to look at the Banthas and he says he sees a Sand Person,you see that Sand Person,but in fullscreen you don't. In ESB,when the Star Destroyers are in the asteriod field and Darth Vader is communicating with the captains of the other ships in hologram,the bridge of one ship is hit with a asteriod,and when it cuts to Darth Vader in widescreen you see one captain fade out. If you use such examples,you might convince someone to get the widescreen versions of the OT if and when they come out on DVD.

11. JediTrilobite

Nov 17, 1999
    I remember that in AOTC, you can see a fighter get knocked off the landing platform in the beginning, but in the sidescreen, you can't.

12. Sholva

Sholva Jedi Youngling

Oct 27, 2003
    I don't understand why this is even a debate anymore. It surprises me that so many people are still in the dark about Widescreen.

Widescreen rules! I wouldn't watch a film any other way. :D

13. Darth_Banal

Darth_Banal Jedi Knight star 6

Jul 22, 2002
    I think if you want to convert someone to widescreen,use common examples.

Another one, in Indiana Jones and the Last Crusdade. The scene where Indy breaks into his father's room, and they discuss the grail diary. ("And..the inscription on Sir Richard's shield?"). When they stand across from each other, they're both in the camera's shot (widescreen) but don't fit fullscreen. So in the fullscreen version, the camera has to continually "flip" to the other character when they talk. I remember Spielberg making a big flap about that when the VHS came out ("I didn't direct the movie that way.") And he's right.

yay widescreen.

14. General Cargin

General Cargin Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 15, 1999
    I consider myself lucky. Here in Australia, you have to go out of your way to find a fullscreen DVD (even rentals from the video libraries are generally widescreen). You still hear about people moaning about the black bars, but I've managed to re-educate the members of my family who have complained about it. I do own a film in fullscreen format, but that's its OAR, and that's the only way I will ever have a film formatted to fit my screen.

15. itchytasty79

itchytasty79 Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 2, 2001
    I agree. I only like widescreen now. That's why I'm so excited that I have my laserdisc player. I can watch Star Wars THX in widescreen.

I've been a fan of this format ever since I bought the Aliens VHS in widescreen (circa1997). That scene where the door opens up and Ripley is suited up in the Powerloader, "Get away from her you *%^#@!" It just gives me chills.

When my mom and I watched that copy of Aliens, she asked about the black bars too. When I explained it to her she asked, "Well why would anybody want to see it the other way?"

And another convicing reason to watch widescreen: Just watch the latest release of Ghostbusters on VHS. I get a headache just seeing all the shaky digital panning. It makes me nauseous!

16. JediTrilobite

Nov 17, 1999
    Fullscreen should be banned.

17. Darth_Banal

Jul 22, 2002
    Kudos to Disney/Pixar on the way they handled the ws/fs debate on Finding Nemo. They released 2 discs, and instead of putting all the bonus stuff on Disc 2, they split it evenly, and put the Widescreen version on Disc 1 and Fullscreen on Disc 2, so everyone can choose.

Dem boys are smart.

18. JediTrilobite

Nov 17, 1999
    waste of space... stick one version on each side of the disk. Then you have an extra disk for extras...

19. kingthlayer

kingthlayer Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 7, 2003
    If it's Star Wars, LoTR, The Matrix or any other sci fi/fantasy film, I want widescreen.

If there aren't many magic effects and the like, fullscreen will do.

20. Twelve_Motion

Twelve_Motion Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 12, 2002
    Widescreen all the way.

21. Rogue_Eleven

Rogue_Eleven Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 25, 2002
    I always buy widescreen. It seems weird to me that people actually prefer fullscreen, but to each his own, I suppose. It just makes more sense to me. *shrug* Fullscreen drives me crazy. I hate it.

22. WarmasterDan

WarmasterDan Jedi Knight star 6

Sep 3, 2002
    I don't care if I have wide or full.

23. BobaFrank

BobaFrank Jedi Youngling star 5

Jul 17, 2001
    Widescreen

24. Darth_Banal

Jul 22, 2002
    waste of space... stick one version on each side of the disk. Then you have an extra disk for extras...

Maybe I didn't clarify..the discs are loaded with bonus stuff, they just split the bonus stuff between discs 1 and 2. I'm just glad we got both fs/ws in one package.

25. redxavier

redxavier Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 23, 2003
    No contest. Widescreen. Even in letterbox on a regular TV it looks better.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.