main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Widescreen or Fullscreen?

Discussion in 'Archive: The Amphitheatre' started by JediTrilobite, Oct 15, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. weezer

weezer Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 16, 2001
    Of course it's funny because 10 years or so from now whenever they only make widescreen TV's, all of the fullscreen copies of something that people have bought, won't their sides be cut off, instead of top and bottom? Probably totally wrong about that too. But if not, that would be funny and we would have the last laugh....

The sides are cut off of a fullscreen movie now. ?[face_plain]

Anyways. Most people just zoom the picture. The top and the bottom of the fullscreen movie get cut off and it can look really odd but once again, it takes up the full screen so its all right.

2. Jedi_Master_Anakin

Jedi_Master_Anakin Jedi Master star 4

May 25, 2002
    I can't believe you even have to have this discussion! I personally am of the opinion that Full-Screen is the single stupidest creation of mankind!

I mean for God's Sake, your missing almost half of the damn movie in some cases. I just can't fathom wanting to miss part, and sometimes almost half, of a movie.

Seems just asinine to me.

Peace and Unity

JMA

3. Dragar

Dragar Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 17, 2002
    Wish you could try to tell the people who don't see it that way otherwise. Most common response I get is that they don't care whether they miss any of the picture or not because the TV screen isn't full and its to small for them.

4. george_starwars

george_starwars Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 23, 2002
    I'm WIDESCREEN.

WIDESCREEN, WIDESCREEN, WIDESCREEN,
    but I do like the way pixar offers both widescreen and P&S versions of their movies on the same disk.

For their fullscreen presentation, they don't hack off the sides, they rearrange the picture to fit a regular TV. I'm not talking about compressing the image so that everything looks like it's on a diet, they actually go back and repossition objects and characters.

It's rather cool! If I'm watching Monsters Inc. on my widescreen TV, I can see it as in the theatre, if I'm watching it on my regular TV, I can have it fill the screen without missing anything.

Woohooo for Computer Graphics films. As far as I know, they are the only type of film that this technique can be used on.

5. flying_fishi

flying_fishi Jedi Knight star 6

Mar 26, 2002
    It doesn't fill up the screen? That's an extremely stupid argument to make when it's the full version of the film.

6. Jedi_Liz

Jedi_Liz Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 24, 2000
    I just wanted to say I buy all my dvds in WIDESCREEN as much as possible. In fact, when I bought The Santa Clause 2, I convinced a lady at the store where I was to get widescreen instead of fullscreen. Unfortunately, there weren't many copies of widescreen left, but she did listen to me and grabbed widescreen instead. :p

The only fullscreen dvd I have is one I got for free after getting a sony dvd player. It wasn't my choice, that's what they sent. I would have preferred widescreen. :(

7. Blue_10

Blue_10 Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 13, 2001
    Runs to center of stage naked with a bag over his head, jumps up and down 3 times.

"FULL SCREEN!"

Runs out the other side of the stage to his get away car and drives off.

8. Moriarte

Moriarte Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 17, 2001
    Widescreen is so much better. You get more movie...or should I say the movie you deserve, for your money.

I got X2 fullscreen accidentally (widescreen being superior I just assumed...grrrrr), and I tried returning it, but Target wouldn't let me exchange it! Stupid copyright laws....waitaminute...I can just return it. Get my money back. Then buy widescreen! :D

Why didn't I do that before!?

Mistryl's Paramour

P.S. Biu Widescreen!

9. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    Hooray for Turner Classic Movies and their policy. I can't imagine watching Yojimbo in P&S.

My favorite quote regarding Fullscreen: You're watching two-thirds of a really great movie there . . .

10. shuttle_captain

shuttle_captain Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 21, 2003
    My wife didn't notice the difference until I pointed out how pan and scan sucked. Then she all of a sudden hated it.
    Once you see the difference, it's widescreen all the way. I accidently bought PM on fullscreen and it looked weird. Like everybody was squished. I hated it.

11. itchytasty79

itchytasty79 Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 2, 2001
    This weekend I watched my parents' P&S VHS of The Muppets Christmas Carol. It was very painful to watch. I kept thinking, I know there's more here, and I want to see it. Thankfully, I can purchase my own copy on DVD for next year, this time in Widescreen.

12. JediTrilobite

JediTrilobite Jedi Grand Master star 7

Nov 17, 1999
    I still don't get pan and scan, or haven't noticed it yet in any movies.

13. Enji

Enji Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 14, 2002
    For once I'm very happy to live in Sweden... I haven't yet encountered a fullscreen DVD, they're all widescreen. (Or original aspect ratio... the old once, like Casablanca, are of course not in widescreen). On VHS we can sometimes still choose between fullscreen and widescreen, but it's becoming more and more rare. The Two Towers, for example, is only released in widescreen, as far as I know, both on DVD and VHS. :)

I detest fullscreen, but luckily even the tv channels here have realised the greatness of widescreen, and often show movies the way they were meant to be seen. :)

14. epic

epic Ex Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 4, 1999
  15. itchytasty79

itchytasty79 Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 2, 2001
    For once I'm very happy to live in Sweden...

You say for once...is there much that you dislike about living in Sweden?

Sorry to get off topic...umm...Widescreen rules!

16. Enji

Enji Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 14, 2002
    Nah, not that much, just when it comes to SW... you know, hardly any SW stuff to buy here (and the stuff you can find is usually twice as expensive as in the US), we never get any big cons, no IMAX showings, no digital showings of AOTC, that sort of things.

But we DO have widescreen easily available! :D

17. DANA28

DANA28 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 15, 2002
    Show the comparsion please! Fullscreen hurts my eyes now.

18. JediTrilobite

Nov 17, 1999
    Upping this... one of my friends tried to confinve me that Full was better.

19. PuccaKenobi

PuccaKenobi Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 1, 2004
    I'm widescreen all the way..
    BUT.. My Dad (who is 70 yrs old) is Fullscreen.. I mean the poor man cant see very well and doesnt have a huge TV set.. so of course I'm buying him fullscreen. To each their own.. I mean as long as they keep making widescreen I will buy widescreen for myself and fullscreen for my dad

20. Dani1138

Dani1138 Jedi Grand Master star 3

Nov 20, 2002
    Pan and Scan:
    [image=http://www.geocities.com/Hollywood/Hills/6781/EmpireH_C3POChop.jpg]

Widescreen:
    [image=http://www.geocities.com/Hollywood/Hills/6781/EmpireH_C3POWide.jpg]

Nuff said.

21. masterskywalker

masterskywalker Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 2, 2001
    Wider is better.

22. JediTrilobite

Nov 17, 1999
    nice images, I can't wait for the DVD set so that I can see what I missed all of these years.

23. Obi-Wan's Apparition

Obi-Wan's Apparition Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 10, 2000
    I can't wait for the DVD set so that I can see what I missed all of these years.

Same here. I've never seen them in their full glory. :(

24. Dani1138

Dani1138 Jedi Grand Master star 3

Nov 20, 2002
  25. RogueScribner

RogueScribner Jedi Master star 4

Jan 17, 2004
    OAR is the only way to go. And all these full screen worshippers will be scratching their heads when everyone converts to HDTV and wonder what those weird bars are on the side of their screens. Their disc must be defective. :p

L8r

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.