Widescreen or Fullscreen?

Discussion in 'Archive: The Amphitheatre' started by JediTrilobite, Oct 15, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jedi knight Pozzi Force Ghost

star 6
    Anyone know why TVs weren't made widescreen and with a flat screen in the first place?
  2. The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth

Manager
    star 10
    TV's came first, widescreen films came later, and used widescreen as one feature to distinguish film from TV.

Now the two are becoming more closely link with home video, and TV is slowly conforming.
  3. AlanSmitheeIII Force Ghost

star 4
  4. JediTrilobite Force Ghost

star 7
  5. RogueScribner Force Ghost

star 4
    So full screen afficionados favor censorship. Interesting . . .

L8r
  6. darthtenbiscuits Force Ghost

star 7
    Anyone know why TVs weren't made widescreen and with a flat screen in the first place?

Most movies used to be shot in 4:3 aspect ratio except for the more big budget productions. Considering television screens used to be circular, I'd say it could be worse. 8-}
  7. jacemathem Force Ghost

star 5
    I prefer widescreen because I like to view the film as the filmmaker's meant it to be shown. If they wanted a fullscreen picture, they would have made it to be so, without the extra stuff along the side.
  8. AdmiralZaarin Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Hehe, foolscreen.

But I do agree; widescreen is far superior.

Take ANH. When Luke makes his comment about seeing Tusken Raiders with his macrobinoculars, I've always asked "What the hell, man? Where?".

And then I saw the widescreen editions.

I was being scammed out of a lot of the OT by my infidelic pan & scan VHS copy!

Really, I don't even see why they bother making fullscreen any more.
  9. RogueScribner Force Ghost

star 4
    Because the bulk of the masses are ignorant or could care less. But that will change with the new TV standard about to hit.

L8r
  10. POLARIUS Jedi Knight

star 3
    My tv is an old piece of crap that can't handle Widescreen :( which really sucks but when i move out i am getting a widescreen set so i can watch the movies in widescreen format and not be annoyed because of the little black bars at the bottom where images have the poteinal to be.
  11. Jedi knight Pozzi Force Ghost

star 6
    I don't even see the black bars anymore, but they were annoying before I got used to them.

`TV's came first, widescreen films came later, and used widescreen as one feature to distinguish film from TV. Now the two are becoming more closely link with home video, and TV is slowly conforming.'

Anyone think that film may have to change again somehow to keep an advantage?
  12. BLACKJEBUS Force Ghost

star 4
    I buy widescreen if it is a visually stunning movie like Star Wars, Matrix, Lawrence of Arabia, or the like.

If it is a stupid comedy like Shallow Hal or Happy Gilmore, I don't care if its fullscreen.
  13. WEEBACCA Jedi Master

star 4
    All widescreen for me! When I've paid for it I wan't to see the whole movie, not half of it!!

Seriously! If a movie has been filmed in widescreen I wanna see the widescreen compositions, not some cut off version that doesn't show me the pictures the director wanted me to see!
  14. Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece

star 8
    Well, I do have to admit that I won't go out of my way to rent a widescreen copy of a film that I think probably won't be that great . . . The Truth About Charlie, for instance, which I'm going to watch for kicks. I think I'll take that as it comes.
  15. EmpireForever Chosen One

star 8
    i like widescreen, but not if there's an excessive amount of black. i like a little bit of widescreen.
  16. Darth_Banal Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    A nice Slate article about how "widescreen has won." It also references an announcement by Blockbuster Video officially "prefers" widescreen to fullscreen.
  17. Leto II Jedi Master

star 6
    Jesus, you wouldn't even know it, going by my nearest local Wal-Mart's DVD shelves...the sheer number of "Pan-and-Scam" discs is choking the life out of the "Widescreen" format there, with the department manager refusing to even stock OAR discs except at the butt-bottom of the displays on the grounds that "people will never care about the difference."

Hell no, they won't. Not when everything goes HD in a few years. No screaming bloody rape over the sudden "defects" in their widescreen TV's DVD display capabilities. Nossir.

In that store, for your average "major" studio release (The Matrix Revolutions or Kill Bill, as f'rinstances), the rough math totals out to approximately four shelves of "Foolscreen" to perhaps -- if one is very, very lucky, and the manager's served up those precious two or three to-be-cherished copies -- one row of "Wide." Literally concealed from plain sight.

"Pan-and-Scam" might be on its last legs elsewhere across the country, but given the choice between shopping that guy's department and receiving a hot Clorox enema...it ain't no choice at all.
  18. Jedi knight Pozzi Force Ghost

star 6
    I'll ask again:

`TV's came first, widescreen films came later, and used widescreen as one feature to distinguish film from TV. Now the two are becoming more closely link with home video, and TV is slowly conforming.'

Anyone think that film may have to change again somehow to keep an advantage?
  19. dark_charlie Jedi Youngling

star 4
    yeah... 3D is next.

and they are experimenting with the "smell-o-vision"

no kidding...

i would hate to see a film that was shot in a sewer in "smell-o-vission"!!!

EDIT: WIDESCREEN FOREVER! SURROUND 5.1
  20. JediTrilobite Force Ghost

star 7
    There sort of already has been a 3D type of film, with the weird glasses. Didn't really take off that well though IIRC.

I really don't like how Walmart doesn't stock many Widescreen DVDs. I have to fight to get a copy... :mad:
  21. Cobranaconda Force Ghost

star 7
    I actually like Fullscreen, as it doesn't give you the bars.
    The bars should be crushed like OPPM
  22. dark_charlie Jedi Youngling

star 4
    i like the bars.

cus they´re always there for you.

lol.

i have been drinking, dont pay atention.
  23. Dragar Jedi Master

star 4
    I can tell you right now that department manager doesn't choose how much fullscreen and widescreen he is sent for new release displays and shelf modulars etc...

Whats carried in the store on the shelf and on the priced displays is sent down by Home Office and he can't alter those at all unless he needs to cut some display movies in to get rid of them.

An outside company sends the new release displays and the movies he carries in the store in and a outside vendor comes in and stocks those movies (associates stock those sometimes during the week if a shipment comes in)

But he cannot order any movies or control the amount of WS & FS at all. He may not agree with your views but he can't really do anything about it anyways.
  24. Da-Observer Jedi Knight

There are people that still prefer foolscreen over widescreen? Surely you jest! Really, widescreen is the format of choice for me because I want to watch the entire film the way the director shot it. The only excuse for fullscreen is if it was initially shot that way, e.g. Citizen Kane or a TV show.
  25. JediTrilobite Force Ghost

star 7
    There are some people. My mom and a friend of mine think that the bars are distracting.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.