Widescreen or Fullscreen?

Discussion in 'Archive: The Amphitheatre' started by JediTrilobite, Oct 15, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JediTrilobite Jedi Master

star 7
    I got Back to the Future on DVD, although it was fullscreen, and I found that I wasn't really bothered by it that much. *Shrugs*

However, I did get Spiderman 2, Bourne Supremacy and Garden State all on Widescreen.
  2. master_organa Jedi Knight

star 5
    Widescreen. But only until recently, I have some good movies on FS. Such as AOTC, the first two LOTR, and the first two Harry Potters. The first DVD I got on Widescreen was the Star Wars OT Box Set.
  3. Darth_Banal Jedi Knight

star 6
    I just got my widescreen TV, and all I can say is [face_dancing]
  4. JediTrilobite Jedi Master

star 7
  5. Moleman1138 Manager Emeritus

star 6
    The only foolscreen I have is Master and Commander and that's only because I was too impatient to go 20 minutes out of my way the release day and buy from a drug store.

I'll be trading it in soon. I can buy a replacement WS for under $10.
  6. Darth_Banal Jedi Knight

star 6
    It's funny, though, there are still several of my DVD's that have the "black bars" because of the aspect ratio. I wonder if we'll ever have a standard aspect ratio for WS discs?
  7. snap-hiss Jedi Master

star 5
    I've found that many DVDs play with bars on widescreen TVs.

!snap
  8. Strilo Manager Emeritus

star 8
    That's because there are two different aspect ratios in theatres. Films are shot either in flat or scope. Either 1.85:1 or 2.35:1. This has been a standard for many many years.
  9. weezer Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    There's more then just the two but they definatly represent the bulk of movies out there.

I doubt there will ever be a "standard" and there really shouldn't be. It would take away one of the artistic choices given to the director. Its not a hard and fast rule but for the most part your dramas and comidies are are "flat" and action or "epics" are in scope. The closest there probably ever will be to a standard is that all widescreen tv shows will be in 16x9 just because thats the shape of the tv. I'd hope that down the line though they start shooting the "genre" shows in something similar to a 2.35 aspect ratio, just because it would preserve some of the feel I think you end up missing with a widescreen tv.
  10. Chancellor_Ewok Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    I always, ALWAYS buy WS DVDs and if people are going to get me DVDs for Christmas or my Birthday I ask for WS DVDs. As far as I am concerned the only correct way to watch a movie is the way in which it was shot. As far as I am concerned fullscreen is for idiots. I only have 2 DVDs that are FS, Spiderman and Minority Report and I'm tempted to get them in WS.
  11. Excellence Jedi Knight

star 7
    I take it no has noticed how many TV programs have those top and bottom black bands? How much of the allegedly widescreen are you really getting?

My flatscreen-class computer monitor is supposedly widescreen, and all my DVDs play in the middle of it; expanding to full screen makes them sort of flat, 2D.
  12. Shackleton Jedi Master

star 4
    I always, ALWAYS buy WS DVDs

Same here. I really don't mind the black bands on the top and bottom of the picture. I just now need to get a TV that fully supports widescreen movies.
  13. Gobi-1 Manager Emeritus

star 5
    I wish I had a widescreen tv as well. They're really starting to come down in price so maybe I'll get one in a year or two.
  14. Sith_Lord_Linkoping Jedi Knight

star 5
    Without a doubt: Widescreen. I hate when movies are shown in fullscreen.
  15. Chancellor_Ewok Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    ^Agreed. I also hate it when TV networks edit out the swearing and the violence.It ruins the movie.
  16. Sith_Lord_Linkoping Jedi Knight

star 5
  17. Darth_Banal Jedi Knight

star 6
    Not to rub it in, Gobi, but WSTV = worth.every.penny.
  18. Chancellor_Ewok Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    ^Agreed. FS blows chuncks.
  19. Atticus Jedi Padawan

star 4
    Widescreen. But only until recently, I have some good movies on FS. Such as AOTC, the first two LOTR, and the first two Harry Potters. The first DVD I got on Widescreen was the Star Wars OT Box Set

You're lucky because all of those, with the exception of AOTC were shot in full screen.

As for me it really depends on the OAR. Comedies I try to get in full becasue most of them are just cropped for the theater anyways. The directors I know that use "real widescreen" I get in widescreen. If there are shot in fullscreen, either one is fine, however some films I still like watching cropped just because it does give it an epic feel to the film. Spider-Man 2 I got full and now I'm tring to convince an idiot on imdb.com that it was filmed fullscreen, but he won't listen to me, he thinks that he is right.

By the way, if you want to know what movies are shot in full and which ones are in wide, I highly recomend imdb.com. Just type in the movie you want. After you get to the main page of the movie on the left hand side of the screen there willl be a list of different things about the movie, click on one caled "Technical Specs" that has a list of how it was shot and what type of film they used. Super-35 is the Fullscreen movies and ofcourse Anamorphic means the "Real Widescreen." Hope this helps you on your quest. I normally go here before I purchase a movie just to be sure I'm buying the best one.
  20. Chancellor_Ewok Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    They can't be shot in FS. Movie screens are rectangular. TV screens are square. Film makers have accomadate the fact that their films are porjectd on to rectangular screens in movie theatres. Why do you think FS DVDs say "This film has been modified to this screen."
  21. Leto II Jedi Padawan

star 6

You're lucky because all of those, with the exception of AOTC were shot in full screen.
    />

Hold on, you've lost me -- are you thinking that the Harry Potter films, the LOTR movies, and the original SW trilogy were all shot *open-matte*? (The 1.33:1 aspect ratio, in other words?)

All were photographed in the 2.35:1 "Scope" ratio -- standard 35mm film exposes a 1.37:1 ("Academy") frame. This is the width of the film, less an area reserved for the optical soundtrack that's added to release prints. Even in this day of synchronized multi-channel soundtracks on disc, many film prints include optical soundtracks so that they can be projected in theaters with less sophisticated equipment.

"Super35" uses the area normally reserved for the optical soundtrack for picture area; somewhere around 1.68:1. In any event, it's wider than the TV standard. Feature film directors use Super35 because their films need to be less mangled for airline and television play, yet they can still exhibit them at 2.35:1 in theaters. (If you think SW is "cropped" going from 2.35:1 to 1.33:1, try to visualize what Paramount did to Titanic. My, did Cameron pitch a bitch-fit over *that* one.)

TV producers use it so that they can simultaneously frame for 1.77:1 (HDTV ratio) and 1.33:1 (NTSC/PAL) This is insurance to keep their shows viable in syndication into the era of HDTV, when most new programming will originate as 1.77:1. (And hordes of people will start bitching about the "black bars" on the sides of their TV screens, when they watch pre-1980s reruns.) Appropriate frames for the widescreen and TV ratios are then extracted from this odd-sized Super35 frame./>/>
  22. Atticus Jedi Padawan

star 4
    I guess I should have included all of the star wars with AOTC but I didn't.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.