main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Wig making Tutorials

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by Cami_Colucci, Mar 31, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cami_Colucci

Cami_Colucci Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 7, 2004
    Can anyone suggest a wig making tutorial...I used to have my papers from school (like five six years ago) over time, i was forgotten stuff..
    so i want the tutorials to refresh my memory, and teach me new stuff.

so are they out there? i'm having trouble finding ANY..

2. Cami_Colucci

Feb 7, 2004
    so i guess no one knows any...shoot

3. kreleia

kreleia Jedi Knight star 5

Dec 14, 2000
    All I've ever been able to find (and it was a looooong time ago) was an info-mercial type website about "You can make your own hairpiece!" They, of course, teased you with all kinds of claims about it being "simple, easy, basic steps" but never actually TOLD anything about the techniques. That stuff all came in the book and supplies they'd send you.

Never looked into it further.

Good luck. If you find info, I hope you'll pass it along. :)

4. Jaareth

Jaareth Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 23, 2004
    your best bet is to hit a costuming shop...you either A: find the wig you want there...or B:they might actually have a kit with instructions or C: someone there skilled in the technique be able to give you somne pointers/teach you.

5. Cami_Colucci

Feb 7, 2004
    that's the thing i'm just a little bit rusty, but i searched around and found some sites, that are vauge enough to ring some bells, and they sell the supplies, so if i ever get my wig made, I'll be sure to post a tutorial link, and have it every where :)..

(it's simple, if you are patient)

6. AramysStrael

AramysStrael Jedi Master star 4

Mar 9, 2004
    The only other suggestion that I might make to you is if you know someone in Beauty School or someone who is a beautician, you might want to find out if they have the necessary skills to create a specific wig on your behalf. It can't hurt to check out that angle and information is usually free. Good luck!

7. Cami_Colucci

Feb 7, 2004
    ah ...i did not think of that one, that sounds like a really good idea :)

8. iycis

iycis Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 7, 2002
    Ok so this is a tutorial of sorts for a Legolas wig, but its good for ideas on how to do custom work of your own and how to get started.

http://www.jedielfqueen.com/lotr/costumes/Legolas/legolaswig.htm

All the credit on that goes to Julia, the site's owner who has made some awesome LOTR costumes.

Hope it helps a little.

9. Upanova

Upanova Jedi Youngling

Apr 5, 2004
    Hmmm...for wigmaking tutorials you can check out MHR, he's the only guy making a living selling these kits for wigmaking. Otherwise, its a pretty esoteric thing to find out information though.

I make wigs, mostly out of hair I can find at costume shops, or from doll crepe hair. Sometimes I even use rug yarn, the same stuff you use in making those craft kit latch hook rugs. Check out beauty supply shops too, you can find all sorts of fashion wigs there that you can probably alter.

I usually find a wig shop online, and I live about an hour away from Hollywood, CD, so I know that you can find ANYTHING at Wilshire Wigs. Pretty pricey but they know their stuff!

Hope this helps!

Upanova
    "Rystall" (since the name was already taken...:( )

10. DARTHLARS

DARTHLARS Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 12, 2002
    Here you go: An introduction to wigmaking - How to make a wig for personal use.
    Theatre and costume wigs are made in a different way, from hair on a ribbon which is much cheaper.

11. surlygirlie

surlygirlie Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 1, 2000
    DARTHLARS, that is a really cool tutorial... Thanks for posting it!
    Now I need to go through my notes and remember which things I was debating over wigs for...

Edited to add:
    Am I the only person who thinks the wig looks better in step 23 before the haircut?
    ;)

12. Cami_Colucci

Feb 7, 2004
    WOW thanks everyone all the links have been a great help:) I"m gonna try and combine the two and make a wig :) noww i just need hair, and i think i found a place that i can get some :)

i'm sooooo excited about it :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.