main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Calgary Wii saber for pre-sale

Discussion in 'Canada Discussion Boards' started by darth-paul-, Nov 21, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. darth-paul-

darth-paul- Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 9, 2004
    Buy a Wii Light Saber Here.

Can't wait for the Force Unleashed.

2. Darth_Corro

Darth_Corro Jedi Youngling star 2

May 13, 2006
    "Light Sword". Can you imagine if George Lucas settled on light sword or 'laser sword'? Oh, btw...Hello everyone!

3. ShatirLavan

ShatirLavan Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 19, 2005
    Dude! Done your clone yet? I wanna see you trooping! Lots of December events! And GL does call it a laser sword allll the time.

4. LordFuron

LordFuron Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 23, 2007
    Ohhh I'm so buying that!

5. TapeTrooper515

TapeTrooper515 Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 5, 2007
    Kandosii!!

Now... does it come in red?

6. winbrant

winbrant Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 17, 2005
    Nope...blue only...but can probably be modded [face_thinking]

And...it's a Light Sword (2 words), according to the ad:rolleyes:. Maybe they can't use the word "lightsaber" (one-word).

Anyhow, from what I can tell, it looks to be a Zellers Exclusive (yay...someone other than TRU or Wal*Mart...i'm thinking it might also be a Target one Stateside (seeing as Zellers has been carrying US Target Exclusives)).

In their Boxing Day advert it is listed for $34.99. Buy any game (and some are to be dropped to $34.97) with it and they take off $10.

7. winbrant

Aug 17, 2005
    [face_plain] So I managed to find one for Brant...

Concept: 10/10...this was a natural extension of the remote, even "asked for" by the Nintendo President (note...this is NOT a Nintendo product.

Execution: 3/10...yup, that's right...
    1. no sound...MR Lightsabers spoiled me, I guess. However, the 22 LED light-up and light-down sequence was cool!
    2. LED tube a bit heavy...especially for my son after playing for awhile
    3. no detailing of the upper pommel ("mag stabilization ring"?) (OK, it did not look like the advertised pictures)...might have to do this as it looks "plain"
    4. blocks IR window...meaning you have to put the unit on after you point to everything
    5. a Zeller's Exclusive?
    6. NOT a licensed product
    7. cannot be modded for red...however, do see an opportunity for the manufacturer to market additional LED tubes

Maybe I'll have a better feeling for it after using it with the Force Unleashed...since it is touted for it in the various reviews I've seen. Apparently this was a hard-to-find item and seems to be given the limited stock Zellers has and their signs about NOT issuing rainchecks. Seems you can order off the Zellers website as well. Noticed these on eBay as well as seems to be only UK sellers and will run you about $30-$40 that route (this would include shipping). Oh, retail was $34.99...but as I bought it with a game this weel they dropped it $10. (NB. Mario Party 8 (on sale for $38)is a joy to play!). About the LED tube...this is a separate unit and is locked onto the handle with the screw down "stabilization ring"...again, see future marketing for different colour tubes. Playing without the LED tube is also possible and Brant found this a lot easier than with the weight of the tube and just had to contend with the weight of the batteries.

Verdict: If you have a Wii this will be an interesting addition. It might become more useful with future games but you better have strong wrists (which you all might due to lightsaber training classes...so this might not pose an issue). Don't quite know how they would get around the blocked IR window but at present this does not deter gameplay as the remote is just motion sensing (and input sensing)and not using positional information. This is a UK product so quality is very good, though bland. Availability might be an issue later on. While I would say it is not worth $35 it is worth $25 (when purchased with a game). It would be interesting to see if there are future enhancements for this unit.

8. darth-paul-

darth-paul- Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 9, 2004
    Another Wii Saber for Sale. This one looks different from the first one, and looks interesting. Also a choice of colors RED included.

Click here for details.

Darth Paul

9. StacyD

StacyD Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 6, 2006
    Want. :D

10. winbrant

Aug 17, 2005
    Darth Paul...great find=D=

This looks to address my concerns with the one we got (weight, blocking of the IR window) and has variability. The displacement of the handle axis from the remote axis might be a bit odd but then the Wii remote doesn't shoot staight on anyhow. Definitely a step up from the current one!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.