main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Wild Knights: Grasping an Ancient Fire (Obi-Wan, Siri, Garen) - Digital Specters/Completed 5/5

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by red rose knight, May 29, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. red rose knight

red rose knight Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 3, 2001
    [color=4E387E]Timeframe: [/color] Between TPM and AOTC
    [color=4E387E]Characters: [/color] Obi-Wan Kenobi, Siri Tachi, Garen Muln, OCs
    [color=4E387E]Genre: [/color] Action/Adventure
    [color=4E387E]Summary: [/color] An ancient lightsaber has fallen into the wrong hands and now it is up to Obi-Wan, Siri and Garen to get it back safely.

The usual disclaimers apply. George Lucas owns it all; I am not making any money on this.

[color=4E387E]Author's Note: [/color] The reasons for this sudden attack of insanity are not clear, nor is the first draft entirely written but it is plotted out in detail. I am going to keep working on it as I go but decided to go ahead and start posting it. I will try to post every day or two on this. The first few will be daily and then who knows after that.

2. red rose knight

Sep 3, 2001
    [color=4E387E]Wild Knights: Grasping an Ancient Fire[/color]

Chapter One

Wicked winds whipped frozen moisture violently through the air as the sleek form of a Jedi Starfighter gently glided through the white to the landing pad. The spacecraft shuddered under the gale force winds that sent snow and ice cutting across the canopy as if in a desperate attempt to erase the ship?s color that invaded the white world.

Under the ice fogged windows, a figure shifted about but made no attempt to exit the warmth of the craft. Crystalline moisture clung to the fighter?s surface but did little to mar the sight of the bright blue eyes that peered out.

The swirling world of unseen drifts that could swallow a full-grown Gamorrean whole seemed to creep toward the interloper. A few days at the station and the Starfighter would be lost in a pillow of white as evidenced by the many surrounding ships under their snowy blankets.

A frustrated growl escaped the single occupant as the deep brown cloak was drawn close and the cowl pulled low. With a muted swoosh, the canopy slid back and opened, revealing the Jedi occupant. Lithely leaping from the cockpit, boots leaving tracks in the gathering ice crystals over the triangular wing and then easily leapt off landing lightly on the snow blown duracrete.

The icy winds attacked the Jedi from every direction, invisible fingers grasping the hood and stealing it way with a yank. Short blond hair shifted about. Gloved fingers fought a desperate battle to pull the cowl close again. A sea of white surrounded the figure as she turned about staring into the permanent storm that wracked the frozen world.

?Arfour, patch me in to the old folks home,? Siri Tachi barked into the wind. ?I want to speak to Adi Gallia.? She mumbled something best left incoherent while the astromech blipped and whistled its compliance.

Although it took precious few moments for the connection to be made, in the harsh environment it felt like the wait of a lifetime. Blue holoimaging splashed across the starfighter?s wing forming into the familiar figure of the High Council member.

?This is punishment,? Siri barked into the biting currents without preamble to her former master.

?I hardly consider this a punishment,? the older Jedi replied as she folded her arms across her chest in an imperialistic fashion.

?You sent me to the coldest, most miserable planet in the galaxy. What did I do to deserve this??

?Did you make a wrong turn at the Rischi Maze and end up on Hoth?? The master?s mischievous grin turned into a thoughtful look before she added, ?Selvax is hardly the coldest planet in the galaxy.?

?The second coldest.?

?Third, I believe.? Giant snowflakes rippled through the holographic figure causing it to briefly destabilize.

Siri growled, tugging at her cloak. Even with the thermal suit under her tunic, it did little to ease the miserable frost that cut deep to her bones. ?Master, I am sure there are more important missions I could be attending to,? she said in a more diplomatic tone.

?This is an extremely important mission, my padawan.?

?I mean rescue missions, infiltrating slave rings or chasing raiders. I?ll even take a diplomatic assignment.? She wanted to scream, well, actually she was all ready doing that to hear herself over the howling winds. ?Not hunting relics!? Was she complaining too much? It was unbecoming of a Jedi, but she was cold, very cold. She had been asked to do many things in her young life, all of which were in the aid of those who needed help. The tragedy was that she could be helping but instead has been assigned to a menial task of hunting junk shops for a lost lightsaber. Certainly there had to be someone?anyone?else more qualified to do that. A senior padawan, perhaps?

?Yes, this is a punishment,? Adi said shattering the freezing Jedi?s reverie.

?I knew it,? Siri shot back then realized that she was just being humored. She had lost the argument even before it begun otherwise she wouldn?t be standing there.

?Pa

3. Shaindl

Shaindl Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 18, 2002
    Great start, Red! The description of the planet made me think of the middle of winter up here in my part of Canada. Rather unkind of you, really to make me think of that in the middle of summer. It's going to be here soon enough, you know. :D

I love how you're writing Siri - she's going to be a handful for the boys, isn't she? Seems like this is going to be a lot of fun - can't wait for more!

Shaindl

4. dianethx

dianethx Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 1, 2002
    I started shivering from the descriptions. Beautifully done as always. I'm looking forward to Siri kicking both Obi-Wan and Garen's butts....

How soon after TPM is this? I assume that you will be explaining where Anakin is...

5. obi_ew

obi_ew Jedi Master star 5

Apr 14, 2002
    Yeah! You started it already! I'm always so humbled when I read your descriptions.One of my weaknesses I wish I could better! Can't wait for more! :)

6. PadawanKitara

PadawanKitara Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 31, 2001
    Awesome start. I started shivering in sympathy while I sat here reading in lovely 76 degree evening.

7. PaddyJuan

PaddyJuan Jedi Master star 4

Nov 15, 2002
    [color=FA02F1]Happy Froggy!!![/color]

8. naw ibo

naw ibo Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 18, 1999
    Yay, somehow again I missed this even though I looked at your signature. :D Great start. You really have a talent for the settings and descriptions, for making your readers feel like they are "there".

I'm so happy, my Devils won tonight, we're up to 2 games to none in the Stanley Cup finals. And it was another shutout. They get no respect from any of the sports writers but they certainly do deliver the goods. :D

9. PadawanKitara

Dec 31, 2001
    Bad Naw. It's bad that the Devils are leading- I want my Ducks to win. After all, we did win the World Series last year :D

10. jedi7

jedi7 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 8, 2002
    Stay.... UP!!!

11. Nat

Nat Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 11, 2002
    Ooh, I just found this! I'd love to read more. :)

12. bluebereft

bluebereft Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 15, 2002
    Hearing the words, or rather the tone in which they had been spoken, Siri knew that it was not just any mission even if she did not understand reasoning behind it. Since when has the Council been entirely clear about anything?

Hmm... I don't really like this part. I know what you're getting at, but, it just doesn't feel right.

Sorry. :p

13. red rose knight

Sep 3, 2001
    Shaindl?Rather unkind of you, really to make me think of that in the middle of summer. [color=7D1B7E]??[/color] Ooops! :) [color=7D1B7E]??[/color] I love how you're writing Siri - she's going to be a handful for the boys, isn't she? [color=7D1B7E]??[/color] You have no idea.

dianethx?How soon after TPM is this? I assume that you will be explaining where Anakin is... [color=7D1B7E]??[/color] Hopefully today?s post will clear that up.

obi ew?You started it already! [color=7D1B7E]??[/color] Yup. I had sort of toyed with it all week and then had that bit of crisis just before I hit the post new thread button.

PadawanKitara?Awesome start. [color=7D1B7E]??[/color] Thanks!

Froggy? Just a little happy, huh? 8-}

naw ibo? Yay, somehow again I missed this even though I looked at your signature. [color=7D1B7E]??[/color] You haven?t missed anything?besides, there are 70+ posts waiting. :)

jedi7? :D

Nat?Ooh, I just found this! I'd love to read more. [color=7D1B7E]??[/color] You?re in luck, another posty up next. :)

bluebereft?Hmm... I don't really like this part. [color=7D1B7E]??[/color] Okay.

Thank you everyone for all the wonderful replies. :)

14. red rose knight

Sep 3, 2001
    Chapter Two

The damp, dark interior of the Yerindi Tavern, the closest drinking establishment to the landing pads, did little to hide the grime that was prevalent over every surface. The denizens spoke in hushed tones, preferring their drinks to conversation, with only the occasional burst of laughter from a spacer with a story or two to tell.

The somber mood in the large chamber with a bar in the center stocked with the strongest, foulest concoctions in the galaxy was as about as bright as the poor lighting.

Callused fingers danced over an unwashed top tucked into a quiet corner. Patrons that had breezed in with the cold had made sure to keep a distance from the quiet drinker. Warm fingertips brushed up along the cool edge of a smoky glass that held a clear blue liquid. Raising the drink just off the somewhat sticky table and holding it frozen in the air before setting it back on the table with a thud and a splash. The roving fingers left the glass and sought out a data pad that sat nearby.

The barest touch activated the darkened screen. Silently scrolling through the notes, there was a thoughtful pause then a simple entry was made.

?Even half a galaxy away you are planning more tortures for your padawan,? Siri teased as she approached the table.

?One day you will know the joy of having a padawan.?

?Do I detect sarcasm, Master Kenobi??

?Of course not. Anakin will be pleased to take in a few of my lessons after spending some time under Master Yoda?s watch.?

?If nothing else, he will have an appreciation for gruel.? She pulled her hood back, revealing wind whipped short blond locks. Gloved fingers lightly combed her hair into a less wild appearance before ripping the other chair back from the table. Twisting it up on a leg, she spun it about and flopped down, straddling the metal shape. Propping an elbow on the rigid chair back, she languidly stretched out and plucked the glass of blue tinged liquid up. ?I see you have graduated to the harder stuff.?

?When in Selvax,? the ginger haired Jedi replied, snatching the glass back, ?do as the Selvaxian?s do.? Laughing blue eyes met Siri?s before he downed the contents of the glass and slapped it to the table.

Drawing the dark edges of her cloak over the lightly patterned tunic she wore for protection against the winter weather, she growled, ?Well, I for one do not plan on freezing like the Selvaxian?s do.?

?This is one of the few warm days of the solar year,? Obi-Wan replied, pausing once more to make another notation in the data pad.

Siri made a slight face but said nothing. Instead, she chose to silently study the other Jedi. It had been months since their last encounter in the Temple and that was just a brief passing. Obi-Wan had been racing through the main corridor a step behind his apprentice, Anakin Skywalker, as they chased after a malfunctioning cleaning bot with Master Yoda?s gimer stick wedged in the control panel.

The man before her was hardly the boy she had felt so intent on competing with in her youth. Much had changed over the years and with it so had they. Her time answering to Krayn had only hardened her to the cruelties in the galaxy and fortified her need to break each one down as she came across them. Even as a fresh knight, she had already branded herself as a maverick amongst Jedi.

But while she was traipsing across the galaxy in the guise of a slaver?s henchman, Obi-Wan Kenobi had continued his training as most padawans would. Continued until a mission killed his master and turned him from student to teacher in the midst of a heartbeat. Six years of training a boy from the wilds of Tatooine had etched themselves in tender lines around his eyes, yet it never diminished the keenness in them.

Pale blue flashed, focusing briefly on her. ?What?? Obi-Wan asked as he deactivated the data pad. Leaning back in his chair, he casually slipped the thin device into the folds of his tunic.

?I was just thinking you look old,? she replied in a frank tone.

With Obi-Wan?s barely noticeable

15. Shaindl

Shaindl Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 18, 2002
    Wow, those three tall dudes must be part of something big if Siri's afraid of them. I love Siri's bluntness - she's going to be so much fun to read. I can only imagine how much fun she is to write. And a 70+ post story? Bring it on!

Thanks for the lovely review on my story, BTW. It's always so wonderful to see your name pop up! :)

Have a great weekend - can't wait to get caught up on Monday!

Shaindl

16. obi_ew

obi_ew Jedi Master star 5

Apr 14, 2002
    Excellant beginning Red! ?I was just thinking you look old,? she replied in a frank tone. You said this was a funny happy fic right? [face_plain] Just checking because that line gave me Paths flashbacks! ;)

17. red rose knight

Sep 3, 2001
    Shaindl--Thanks for the lovely review on my story [color=7D1B7E]??[/color] For such a good story? Please, I am just glad you are sharing it. :)

obi ew--You said this was a funny happy fic right? Just checking because that line gave me Paths flashbacks! [color=7D1B7E]??[/color] Not to worry, my happy loon, it is supposed to be a fun and light-hearted tale. As far as direct to Obi-Wan, no Paths to worry about...except a few ghosts and a familiar character from TLTP. [face_shocked]

18. PaddyJuan

PaddyJuan Jedi Master star 4

Nov 15, 2002
    a malfunctioning cleaning bot with Master Yoda?s gimer stick wedged in the control panel.

just how did that end up there?

Obi's so calm. I guess six years of Ani is enough to make anyone bomb proof.

lots more to come! yay!

19. dianethx

dianethx Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 1, 2002
    Wonderful again. Glad that Siri can give it to Obi-Wan...he needs some stirring up. The "old" comment was amusing - Go Siri!!!
    Thanks for the clarification of timeframe! So Anakin is off with Yoda (poor guy and I'm not saying which one).
    Looking forward to more...

20. naw ibo

Mar 18, 1999
    Great second installment. Already I'm chomping at the bit for more. :) Glad to hear this still is going to be a fun and lighthearted tale, had me worried there for a moment. ;) Although I could see how it could actually be a very good not-so-fun-and-lighthearted tale as well, which I'm sure you would have done a marvelous job on. Loved how unflappable Obi-Wan was. :D

Personally I always thought Watson's premise for Siri was very unrealistic. I do not believe for one second they'd ever give a padawan a two year undercover mission away from their master, even as a "trial". A short term one away from their master which might involve some subterfuge, yes, in order to see their progress but I'd be hardpressed to believe them even giving an inexperienced knight a two year deep cover mission amongst dangerous pirates, let alone a padawan.

Actually I can't see them giving any Jedi a deep cover much at all, how can you be a Jedi living amongst pirates and being expected to "fit in"? It just doesn't work for any length of time. Short term undercover I have no problem with or long term in a more observational situation(as a servant, simple mechanic on a ship or working in the office of a crooked politician, something that put the person in a position to have access to alot of information without getting directly involved, that kind of thing) but not amongst hardened criminals.

Mind you that doesn't reflect on the quality of this story, you have to work with what you're given so to speak, but just a general comment. It was just Watson's way of trying to build up another Mary Sue, I think, a la Tahl. Hopefully someone talked her out of it. :)

[image=http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2003-5/197571/faster3.jpg]
    [image=http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2003-5/197571/faster1.jpg]

21. PadawanKitara

Dec 31, 2001
    Oh Naw, you always find the best pics :)

For that group to cow Siri, they must be pretty scary. I love the way you are writing her; she is funny, smart and sassy all rolled into one big pain in the rear :D

22. Nat

Nat Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 11, 2002
    Nice pictures, naw ibo! Look at that smile...

Interesting post, especially the moment when Siri reflected on the way Obi-Wan has changed, what happened to him on Naboo.

I really like her bluntness. She's going to be fun! :D

*waiting for Garen to show up* [face_love]

23. Sara_Kenobi

Sara_Kenobi Jedi Grand Master star 7

Sep 21, 2000
    I love Siri's no nonsense manner. A wonderful second chapter, RRK! :)

And I love those pics of Ewan. ;)

24. naw ibo

Mar 18, 1999
    Yep Siri is fiery and I think it's going to be fun watching her in this story.

I can't help but think, though, her attitude toward the Twi'lek was unhelpful. It certainly was unlikely to even start to convince the girl to find safer ways of supporting herself and it's true they might have found she could have been helpful. Perhaps not, but it that was the case, Siri's attitude here was unlikely to endear them to the girl.

About those silvery tattoos on the Y'begarr-- Are they all over their faces or just on their foreheads?

Thanks about the pictures--don't you just adore his expression? :D It's just so direct and disarmingly charming, isn't it? Everyone I know who has met him comments on the directness of his gaze when he's got his attention on you--I imagine it must be something like that. :) It would be hard to refuse him anything with that kind of gaze directed in your direction. LOL! I'd imagine it's a look that would come in handy for Obi-Wan if the GFFA were real. ;)

25. red rose knight

Sep 3, 2001
    Froggy?Obi's so calm. I guess six years of Ani is enough to make anyone bomb proof. ?? Well?.

dianethx?Glad that Siri can give it to Obi-Wan...he needs some stirring up. ?? More like run through a blender. :) ?? Thanks for the clarification of timeframe! So Anakin is off with Yoda (poor guy and I'm not saying which one). ?? Gruel. It does the body good?

naw ibo?Glad to hear this still is going to be a fun and lighthearted tale, had me worried there for a moment. Although I could see how it could actually be a very good not-so-fun-and-lighthearted tale as well, which I'm sure you would have done a marvelous job on. ?? It will be a lot lighter than my usual stuff but it will not be completely without angst. :D At least for me it will give new meaning to the term ?Obi-torture?. [face_laugh] ?? Pretty pictures. [face_love]

PadawanKitara?I love the way you are writing her; she is funny, smart and sassy all rolled into one big pain in the rear ?? Heck, we are only into the first two posts?

Nat?*waiting for Garen to show up* ?? It will be a little while. I have to get the story set up. :) Besides, someone has to clean up the mess. ;)

Sara Kenobi? I love Siri's no nonsense manner. A wonderful second chapter ?? Thanks!

naw ibo?I can't help but think, though, her attitude toward the Twi'lek was unhelpful ?? Not to worry, Janua is not easily put off. ?? About those silvery tattoos on the Y'begarr-- Are they all over their faces or just on their foreheads? ?? Just their foreheads.

I am glad everyone is enjoying so far. Today?s posty is longer than usual?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.