main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Wild Knights: Grasping an Ancient Fire (Obi-Wan, Siri, Garen) - Digital Specters/Completed 5/5

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by red rose knight, May 29, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. red rose knight

red rose knight Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 3, 2001
    Chapter Three

Moving with the same calm and ease as if they were in the Temple, the two Jedi walked side-by-side through the fighting winds and over the snow swept path leading to the recently redefined center of the station. The old warehouses that had sheltered the darker trades and black markets of Abligar Station?a hive of scum and villainy in system of civilized worlds?had been cleared away in favor of the sleek, utilitarian architecture of the head house of the Selvaxian Regional Magistrate.

Rising before the two hooded figures were the domineering gates of the heavily fortified, circular compound but there was only so much that a structure could do. The menacing sight was completed by the presence of the heavily armed Y?Begaar soldiers stationed about.

Men and women of all ages shared the same dark skin of their Golian heritage and wore their hair in tightly woven braids pulled back with simple leather straps as befitting their clan. Intricately designed silver tattoos covered their foreheads indicating their family.

To Obi-Wan?s sharp gaze, there were only two families represented, which from his experience with them as a padawan, Y?Begaar clans held at least five families of similar belief.

He wondered why this one was different.

Stopping at the sealed gates, the two Jedi bowed in unison in front of the blaster rifle wielding gatekeepers. Before either could speak, the sound of metal grinding against metal filled the air as the mechanism of the heavy door was immediately put into action. For its size and width, the door easily swung open revealing a lone figure awaiting their arrival.

The woman that greeted them was as tall and easily as domineering as the gatekeepers and was dressed and tattooed in the same manner with the exception of gold paint highlighting the skin around her eyes. ?Were you anything but Jedi, I would ask what gods you offended to be sent here,? she said in a rich Golian accent.

?Apparently only the Jedi Council,? Obi-Wan replied in an affable tone. He could almost sense Siri?s silent groan through the Force. While her exterior appeared calm, he could feel emotions raging beneath the surface.

The woman laughed then bowed in a curt fashion as was accustomed to the Golian culture. Then stepping forward, she greeted the Jedi. ?I am Iridian Wakava, Magistrate of the Selvax Protectorate.?

Both Jedi bowed before Obi-Wan introduced them. ?I am Obi-Wan Kenobi and this is Siri Tachi.?

?Welcome, Masters Kenobi and Tachi, welcome to Abligar Station.? With the sweep of her arm, she guided the frozen Jedi into the warm shelter of the compound.

To his side, Obi-Wan felt Siri relax once a bath of heated air surrounded them but it only lasted until the gates behind were sealed.

Iridian guided them quietly through the outermost ring of the head house. Under the warmth of nearly natural lighting, Obi-Wan was pleased to find a great garden flourishing. Exotic vegetation from Golia grew from the walls and terraces built in rich soil. The smell reminded Obi-Wan of the gardens in the Temple making him long for home and a padawan who was not fond of the great variety of fruits and vegetables that eventually ended up on his plate.

The tall woman remained silent as she led the Jedi across a narrow foot bridge, one of many that could be seen at the visible edges of the gently curving structure. Obi-Wan glanced across at Siri and offered a gentle smile at the other Jedi?s unspoken wonderment even if worry did cling to Siri?s aura.

Entering the next ring, they were surrounded by a comfortable common area filled with simple wood furniture where quiet social gatherings were taking place. Children giggled and race between the Jedi. Small footfalls moved quickly over the warmed stone floor as they continued their game.

Obi-Wan turned to follow the trail of the small children, their short hair already being groomed into the tiny braids. Their game had them climbing over the tables and mock shooting each other with invisible blasters. He had met and

2. naw ibo

naw ibo Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 18, 1999
    Ah Ekaro, I remember him. :)

So Obi-Wan gets to meet him no matter what universe he's in, huh? ;) That's an interesting surprise, I know you said we'd see some repeat characters but I wasn't thinking of any of them, more like cameos of minor characters. I figured this wouldn't include any of that past history.

Again you've done a wonderful job on the setting, I could really picture it all clearly. Would it be wrong to guess that Siri doesn't get many sensitive diplomatic missions because so far, it doesn't seem like diplomacy is a strong point for her? She seems a bit antagonistic(for some reason I'm thinking about a scene from a Stargate episode where Col. O'Neill is supposed to find a diplomatic solution and Daniel asks if he's sure he's up to it because "Well, it's just that I've never actually heard you referred to as a diplomat. I think... um... "antagonist" was the word used.")

3. obi_ew

obi_ew Jedi Master star 5

Apr 14, 2002
    My memory is shot.I don't remember him. :(

The smell reminded Obi-Wan of the gardens in the Temple making him long for home and a padawan who was not fond of the great variety of fruits and vegetables that eventually ended up on his plate :) I really enjoyed that line for some odd reason. Maybe it's because I'm currently obsessed with the brat! More?

4. dianethx

dianethx Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 1, 2002
    Obviously Obi-Wan has learned diplomacy well and Siri has not!

Loved the descriptions and the way Siri was antagonistic where Obi hid any misgivings beautifully. So, Siri isn't going to let Obi-Wan forget this, is she...
    He felt a sharp spike emanate from Siri at his words but ignored her. He would hear about it later.
    Multiple times.

Looking forward to more!

5. dparis

dparis Jedi Youngling star 3

May 21, 2002
    mmm... summer = good readin'... and roadkill.. but we'll ignore that..

-_sguid

6. PaddyJuan

PaddyJuan Jedi Master star 4

Nov 15, 2002
    great job. love the descriptions of freezing siri and calm obi. why does she hate them so much? was she on the wrong end of a 'cleanup' when she was posing as a slaver?

7. Kelly Kenobi

Kelly Kenobi Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 23, 2000
    Ohhh.... I think I have died and gone to heaven :D :D When Garen shows his gorgeous little head, you may not know this but Garen looks just like Mel Gibson in "The Year of Living Dangerously", I will know I am in heaven!

As usual your words paint such a clear picture I find myself shivering from the cold and your characters are more alive than several people I work with :D :D

8. PadawanKitara

PadawanKitara Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 31, 2001
    woderfully descriptive. I suppose Siri is more comfortable in a style more along the lines of aggressive negotiations?

9. naw ibo

Mar 18, 1999
    Here it is 2:30am on a Saturday night and what am I thinking?

I can't wait for the next post.

Gosh darnit, RRK, you've got me hooked again! ;)

10. Nat

Nat Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 11, 2002
    I guess we'll just need to wait until Garen arrives, then.. ;)
    No problem, the story is fascinating. There is a kind of underlying tension in the descriptions - which are very well-written - and the behaviour of the characters that implies that something bad is lurking... I wonder what that is.

Keep writing!

11. red rose knight

Sep 3, 2001
    naw ibo?So Obi-Wan gets to meet him no matter what universe he's in, huh? That's an interesting surprise, I know you said we'd see some repeat characters but I wasn't thinking of any of them, more like cameos of minor characters. I figured this wouldn't include any of that past history. [color=800517]??[/color] Well, when I originally introduced Kinyo in TLTP I had bigger plans for him and started to introduce the idea of the protectorate but ended up getting distracted with the rest of the plot and kind of left him and the Y?Begaar behind. It just seemed to be fitting that they show up here.

Would it be wrong to guess that Siri doesn't get many sensitive diplomatic missions because so far, it doesn't seem like diplomacy is a strong point for her? [color=800517]??[/color] That goes back to your thoughts that the Jedi would never send a padawan (or knight) into a long term, deep cover mission with scum. I think her time undercover has ruined her for diplomatic missions. She will probably always be more suited towards action.

obi ew?I really enjoyed that line for some odd reason. Maybe it's because I'm currently obsessed with the brat! [color=800517]??[/color] Luckily for everyone though, this is about as close as we are going to get to Anakin during the entire story. Passing mentions and a master?s wonderings.

dianethx?So, Siri isn't going to let Obi-Wan forget this, is she... [color=800517]??[/color] Oh no. :D He will be looking to take on a lightsaber wielding Sith barehanded after this mission.

dparis? [color=800517]??[/color] Roadkill?

Froggy?why does she hate them so much? was she on the wrong end of a 'cleanup' when she was posing as a slaver? [color=800517]??[/color] Answers coming up!

Kelly Kenobi? Ohhh.... I think I have died and gone to heaven [color=800517]??[/color] Don?t die yet, it?s only just begun!

PadawanKitara? I suppose Siri is more comfortable in a style more along the lines of aggressive negotiations? [color=800517]??[/color] LOL!

naw ibo?Gosh darnit, RRK, you've got me hooked again! [color=800517]??[/color] After only three hits? [face_shocked]

Nat? There is a kind of underlying tension in the descriptions - which are very well-written - and the behaviour of the characters that implies that something bad is lurking... I wonder what that is. [color=800517]??[/color] Hmmm?.

There will be a post up later today, I just don?t know when. :)

12. Sheila

Sheila Jedi Master star 4

Oct 6, 2002
    Just found the story Red and love it. You are characterizing Siri and Obi-Wan just as I would picture them, Obi-Wan the fountain of Jedi reserve while Siri is nearly busting at the seams to spring into action. This looks like it is going to be great fun. :)

13. red rose knight

Sep 3, 2001
    Sheila?Just found the story Red and love it. [color=800517]??[/color] Glad you did! Thanks [face_blush] [color=800517]??[/color] This looks like it is going to be great fun. [color=800517]??[/color] Oh, just a little bit of an Indiana Jones-esque adventure with Jedi and ancient lightsabers, pirates and treasures and one hacked of Siri Tachi. Poor Obi-Wan. Poor Garen. :)

14. red rose knight

Sep 3, 2001
    Chapter Four

The Jedi followed Ekaro through the plain corridors as they gently curved along the structure?s design. Siri stared at the unadorned walls, thinking it reminded her of much of the Jedi Temple. Designed to minimize distraction and remain focused on their dedication to the Force. A part of her entertained the idea that maybe the Jedi and the Y?Begaar were not so different.

Deep down she knew different.

When they were far out of reach of the Magistrate?s office, Ekaro finally spoke up. ?You will have to forgive Iridian. She means well but this is her life and she often takes innocent comments far too seriously.?

?I meant no insult,? Siri said as she lengthened her stride to keep close to Ekaro.

Obi-Wan trailed a few steps behind, hands tucked in the billowing folds of his cloak while quietly observing the simple architecture. Siri caught the serene look that graced his features and wondered how he could be so calm in every situation.

?If you had looked at a speck of dust in the corner, she would have accused you of thinking she kept a sloppy household,? Ekaro continued. The tall man turned back to Siri and offered a friendly grin. The long thin braids bound at the back of his head twisted and snagged on broad shoulders.

In the warm air, all of Siri?s thermal clothing was beginning to make her feel hot and allowed her formerly pulled tight cloak to drape open. Her eyes narrowed as she folded her arms across her chest, her gaze falling to the sandy colored floor.

The words had been building in her since entering the compound. The thoughts grew more powerful during the meeting with Iridian. ?May I ask you a question?? she abruptly cut into the silence of the long corridor.

?Of course,? Ekaro said as he guided them into a residential sector.

Behind her, she sensed the usually unflappable Obi-Wan Kenobi become silently alarmed but she paid him no attention, keeping her attention on Captain Kinyo. ?Why??

There was no hesitation in the Golian?s step. ?Why do we travel from our home and set up protectorate?s in crime filled systems? We do it because there is a need for order. Why do you, Jedi??

?We know no different,? she replied. ?Jedi are trained from infancy to serve the Republic.?

?Then we are not so different,? Ekaro said in his deep, accented Basic. ?Except that family is our strength. We are not taken from our families. Our families are the Y?Begaar. Upon birth we are initiated into the ways of the group. We learn to be soldiers, protectors of those who cannot stand up for themselves.?

Siri stopped in the middle of the hall. ?By slaughtering the Aubendor? What about the crew of the Morikai Angel? The Black Palla??

?They were pirates, slavers and murderers.? Ekaro looked her over, but no hint of anger or irritation colored his features. ?The Galactic Senate is hopelessly locked in childish bickering and futile attempts at enforcing pointless laws. All so some governments and its senators can make a hefty profit on the suffering of others. You Jedi are overwhelmed and it is only growing worse. The longer we wait, the more powerful these criminals become, the more innocents that will die.

?You Jedi of anyone should understand that. The breaking of the Black Palla syndicate freed nearly 800 Okala captives that had been turned into slaves in the Neridian Spice mines. Should we have waited until the Senate deemed fit to listen to the Okala representative? Okal is not a powerful world. Their chances to address the Senate were routinely bumped in favor of worlds that are more influential. In desperation, they asked the Y?Begaar for assistance in policing their territories and we have.?

?The Black Palla should have been held and brought to justice,? Siri argued, shifting her weight slightly. At the edge of her mind, she thought it was odd that Obi-Wan had not intervened but she had faith that he soon would.

?Creatures like that do not understand nor care about law. They only understand fear,? Ekaro said, yet nothing in his dark eyes gav

15. dianethx

dianethx Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 1, 2002
    Another wonderful post. I loved the comment Obi-Wan made ?Her experiences color spirit.? Well said, Obi!

I really like how the two balance each other. Their combined strengths should be able to see them through any trials. Of course, their weaknesses may bring the trials out a little sooner...

The description of the punishment is rather gruesome but well in keeping with pirates, murderers and cutthroats!!!

Looking forward to more!

16. obi_ew

obi_ew Jedi Master star 5

Apr 14, 2002
    Yikes! I'd forgotten how well you do brutality! :eek: Excellant! As for the brat, I wasn't complaining about him being MIA in this fic. My Anakin is the only one I can tolerate, so keep the Obi posts coming! [face_love]

17. naw ibo

Mar 18, 1999
    Ah yes, there's the RRK we all know and love--blood, cuts, brutality... ;)

No one does scenes like that quite like you, it never seems gratuitious or over the top. The punishment was over the top in terms of how the Y'Begarr handled the situation(Vlad the Impaler anyone?) but it was totally fitting of the story.

18. PaddyJuan

Nov 15, 2002
    I think what Red is trying to show here is that Siri has seen many of the darker things the galaxy has to offer, and that even as a Jedi, her experiences color her reactions to the perpetrators whether they see themselves as justified and effective or not.

It is not brutality for the sake of violence, but rather to show that these people, despite their good intentions, are taking a very violent road to what they see as lawfulness. Are they right or wrong? That really depends on your perspective.

If you were one of the victims they rescued, or the families of those tortured and murdered, perhaps you would agree with their aims if not their methods. If you are one of the guardians of the galaxy, you might find them almost as bad as the people they are dealing with so very thoroughly.

Is her story too graphic? No. I dont think so. She mentions it. Mentions Siri's response. And then leaves the subject. A short synopsis of a violent episode that leaves more to your imagination than her description. But one that adds a bit of real grit and color to her story.

19. naw ibo

Mar 18, 1999
    I don't think anyone was saying her story was "too graphic". In fact quite the opposite, that she manages to make clear just what she's describing without making it gratuitious or overly gory. She goes just far enough that your mind takes you to the place she wants you see the characters were. Depending on the situation it's actually much more effective than going into minute detail. She can be describing scenes that are truly brutal when you think about them, yet they always seem completely appropriate.

As for my own opinion of how the Y'Begarr handled things---they went way over the line IMO when they were impaling people, I don't care what those people did to "deserve" it. At that point they are little better than the people they are supposed to protecting others from, perhaps even worse because they are justifying it as a good thing so are deluding themselves.

20. PaddyJuan

Nov 15, 2002
    exactly

21. Calantha

Calantha Jedi Master star 2

Oct 25, 2002
    :D :D :D I'm so happy...you've started a new story. And to make matters more excellent, Siri is in it! From what I've seen, it's a good thing Anakin is back at the temple - Siri may prove to be handfull, herself.

I admit, I didn't remember Ekaro. [face_blush] It has been awhile since I read The Book of Paths though. But in the second last post you wrote: Iridian growled, ?Don?t you have that witch on Xim to tend to, little brother?? Xim witch? Wasn't Xim the planet where Obi-Wan met Halla in TLTP? Is Halla in this story too? Or maybe my memory's just fuzzy.

As for the violence, I don't like it - violent movies make me squirm, but I do think it's often a neccessary element in fiction. I think it's a matter of how it's shown, and I think you handled it very well, RRK. :) And I agree with naw ibo, the Y'Begarr did go too far.

~Calantha

22. Nat

Nat Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 11, 2002
    Nice way of building the background step by step. It adds great depth to the story. :)

Let's see where this is going!

23. Shaindl

Shaindl Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 18, 2002
    Great posts, Red! It's fun watching you lay the groundwork for what's to come later. I too, however, am eagerly anticipating Garen's arrival - I'm curious to see how you're going to write him as opposed to me. It's also fascinating how you're weaving in characters from your other work. I remember Kinyo vaguely and I'll be interested in seeing how you use him and the culture you're creating around him.

Great work!

Shaindl

24. red rose knight

Sep 3, 2001
    dianethx?I really like how the two balance each other. Their combined strengths should be able to see them through any trials. Of course, their weaknesses may bring the trials out a little sooner... [color=2B60DE]??[/color] I can?t imagine why. 8-} Siri?s picking fights with her supposed allies, what will she be like when she meets the bad guys.

obi ew?As for the brat, I wasn't complaining about him being MIA in this fic. [color=2B60DE]??[/color] Oh, I know, I was just generally saying that he isn?t going to have a physical presence in this story.

naw ibo?The punishment was over the top in terms of how the Y'Begarr handled the situation(Vlad the Impaler anyone?) but it was totally fitting of the story. [color=2B60DE]??[/color] And hopefully it explains what made Siri tense around them

Froggy!?A short synopsis of a violent episode that leaves more to your imagination than her description. But one that adds a bit of real grit and color to her story. [color=2B60DE]??[/color] And there will be more of that coming up soon?

Calantha?From what I've seen, it's a good thing Anakin is back at the temple - Siri may prove to be handfull, herself. [color=2B60DE]??[/color] Yup. Poor Obi-Wan will be wishing for Anakin in no time. 8-} [color=2B60DE]??[/color] Is Halla in this story too? [color=2B60DE]??[/color] Nope, that was the only mention of her. I just did that to help remind people of Kinyo.

Nat?Nice way of building the background step by step. It adds great depth to the story. [color=2B60DE]??[/color] Thanks! [face_blush]

Shaindl?I too, however, am eagerly anticipating Garen's arrival - I'm curious to see how you're going to write him as opposed to me. [color=2B60DE]??[/color] I hope you will like the portrayal. :)

Today?s post just kept growing and growing and I still need to do a lot of work so I split it so you get some today. I may have to split tomorrow?s post too because it is really long for a daily post. We will see. :)

Thank you everyone for all the kind words and I hope you like this next piece?

25. red rose knight

Sep 3, 2001
    [color=2B60DE]??[/color]Bumping to next page.[color=2B60DE]??[/color]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.