main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Will a plane take off from a conveyor belt?

Discussion in 'FanForce Community' started by The_Porridge_Boy, Dec 11, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The_Porridge_Boy

The_Porridge_Boy Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 27, 2001
    Here's the scenario...

An airplane is on a conveyor. The conveyor is set to match the speed of the airplane in the backwards direction. However fast the plane moves, the conveyor moves just as fast.

Can the plane take off?

2. Jedi_Dajuan

Jedi_Dajuan Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 30, 2002
    Not sure if this belongs here, but you've interested me.

I don't think it would. Planes fly because of the lift on the wings. If it's relative location and motion is zero, there's going to be no air moving under the wings so no lift. There's a better way to describe this using real physics terms but I pretty much slept through that class.

3. TheBoogieMan

TheBoogieMan Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 14, 2001
    I think Dajuan is right. However, if you could find a huge fan you might get a different story.

4. Jedi Girl of Corellia

Jedi Girl of Corellia Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 23, 2000
    I think the question should be, will a conveyor belt run with an airplane on it? o_O

5. TheBoogieMan

TheBoogieMan Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 14, 2001
    Hehe, either that or it was just a really badly designed airport.

6. Skiara

Skiara ~• RSA FFC •~ star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 5, 2002
    [face_laugh] Great questions. [face_laugh]

And I have to agree with Dajuan as well.

7. CrazyMike

CrazyMike Former Mod & RSA star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 4, 2000
    The plane requires lift which is created by the plane building up speed before it lifts off. It would not be able to take off as Dajuan and Sabine mentioned in their
    posts.

8. The_Porridge_Boy

The_Porridge_Boy Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 27, 2001
    . Apparenlty it does fly
    Part #2

It was an interesting argument, but as things progressed, more rational heads prevailed, pointing out that the airplanes do not apply their thrust via their wheels, so the conveyor belt is irrelevant to whether the airplane will takeoff. One guy even got one of those rubber band powered wood and plastic airplane that sell for about a buck, put it on the treadmill someone foolishly donated to the Lounge years ago, thinking that pilots might actually exercise. He wound up the rubber band, set the treadmill to be level, and at its highest speed. Then he simultaneously set the airplane on the treadmill and let the prop start to turn. It took off without moving the slightest bit backwards

9. TwiLekJedi

TwiLekJedi Pretty Ex-Mod star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2001
    then why don't they build airports with conveyor belts as runways?

also, your links are both the same, therefore I don't understand why it can generate the airflow required for takeoff :confused:

10. CrazyMike

CrazyMike Former Mod & RSA star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 4, 2000
    This discussion reminds me of that boat that we saw when I was in Düsseldorf Senny and how it got to where it was :)

11. poof-the-magic-jedi

poof-the-magic-jedi Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 3, 2005
    Part #2 (fixed)

An interesting question/discussion. Like Jedi_Dajuan and others, I would have thought that the plane would not be able to take off as it wouldn't be able to gain any forward motion. But having read the article, particularly the second part, I see now that the plane would be able to gain forward motion even though the conveyor belt is moving the opposite direction. The key point to understand is that while the conveyor belt would cause the wheels to rotate in the opposite direction, the plane's propeller (or jets or whatever) pushing against air would still cause the plane to move forward as normal.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.