main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Will Allston be able to make Rebel Stand & Rebel Dream work?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by tanjokabri, Feb 14, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jedi_Knight_Mike

Jedi_Knight_Mike Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 8, 2002
    the supposed difference between the HC and PB is that the HC's were capable of telling the whole NJO without the reader having to read all the paperbacks. The HC's are also supposed to deliver the most important plot points.

For me it doesn't really mean much as I am collecting the whole series. Be it HC or PB I am really looking forward to the Behind Enemy Lines series because Allston is writing it and he will do a good job of it.

2. chissdude10

chissdude10 Jedi Youngling star 5

Jul 26, 2001
    Phanan's death affected me enotionally more than Chewie's or Anakin's

Who the frick is Phanan?

3. tanjokabri

tanjokabri Jedi Master star 4

Nov 2, 2001
    ok, just a few things to say... anyone who thinks i'm underestimating allston is wrong... i do not think that all he can write is humour... i think he's an amazing author who writes very good books... but you can't deny the fact that there is a lot of humour in his books... yes, i know there's a lot of other stuff too, but that doesn't take away from the fact that his books are in some parts hilarious... and i was just wondering if he is going to change his tone, or whether he's going to keep the tone of his wraith squadron books, and if he does, will it work?

and i'm asking this because blind optimism doesn't always work... most ppl said that Hand of Thrawn was going to be amazing, cuz Zahn was writing it... well? does everyone love the duology? ppl were ecstatic when they heard stackpole was writing njo, was dark tide really that good? so all i'm saying is, that reputation alone doesn't guarantee a good book, and i hope i don't offend anyone with this, and i know it will cause arguments, but i think some of you are being quite naive...

but good debate, anyway :D

4. DVader316

DVader316 Jedi Knight star 7

Feb 18, 2000
    " Who the frick is Phanan ? "

You obviously haven't read the Wraith Squadron books, huh, 'Dude ? Well, you should, so start now. You heard me ! NOW !! ;) :D

5. chissdude10

chissdude10 Jedi Youngling star 5

Jul 26, 2001
    I loved the Hand of Thrawn, ok DVADER, ill start reading those books...

6. Wedge 88

Wedge 88 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 16, 1999
    If Wedge dies I'm going to cry. :_| But if I had to pick someone to do it, it would be Allston. Hes great with characters.

But I hope he dosn't die. Allston will be fine. Great even.

7. ash_shack_II

ash_shack_II Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 27, 2001
    AA is my absolute favorite SW author. I really cried when Phanan died. Not one or two tears crying, but actual whole body sobs and screaming like a baby. I locked myself in the bathroom for hours. I cried more when Phanan died than when my girlfriend dumped me on my birthday, and I really loved her. If AA writes Wedge's death, it would be awful! A new character is bad enough, but Wedge?! I'd die! There would be no reason to live anymore. They should leave Wedge alive forever, or have some crappy no-name author do it so it won't be that emotional. AA could write Nom Anor's death and I'd cry!

8. THE_Exar_Kun

THE_Exar_Kun Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 31, 2002
    Unlike the rest of you,I'm not looking forward to Allston's work because of his ability to convey emotions as in Phanan's death,humour as in Kettch though both are to be loved.I'm finally glad 'a military writer' got back into the thick of things.The military writing has been the weakest element of NJO so far.
    I've seen it go from horrible in Vector Prime,the Vong and their seeming invincibility to great in Dark Tide,what else can you get from Stackpole to absolutely abysmal in Star by Star.They can't find 3 SDs for Jacen's plan at the start and yet Sovv can rally 900 ships in a flash and thousands more to defend Coruscant.And the worst phrase I've ever seen "a plasma ball the size of a small moon".Geeze,if that isn't military incompetence,I don't know what is.
    I'm looking to Allston to spruce up the space battles since the Alliance is gonna start fighting back now.

9. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Allston has the skills and the experience to do the job well, but past effort is no guarantee of success as in the case of Dark Tide.

Having said that AA's characterization and capital ship battles were excellent, his first work, the Wraith trilogy was only undermined by having to dovetail with COPL.

It should be good. Let's hope so.

Jedi Ben

10. Knight1192

Knight1192 Jedi Knight star 6

Feb 5, 2000
    You know, I never thought about the "military" writing. Last year I mentioned that it certainly seemed like some of the authors actually looked at, and studied, old WWII documentary novels/books. And to prove my point, I took and doctored a scene from the documentary novel/book Big E. (The book deals with the WWII career of the WWII era aircraft carrier Enterprise and it's crew, including it's air wing.) The scene actually has a flight of Wildcats engaging Japanese Zeros in a dogfight sometime after Midway. But like I said, it was doctored in order to prove my point, so I changed the Wildcats, Zeros, and machinegun fire into X-wings, TIEs, and laser fire. I had folks respond asking me which X-wing book the scene was from. Some even said they remembered that scene and asked if I could remind them which book and chapter.

Considering both Stackpole and Allston wrote the X-wing series, that would be a good sign of how well they do with "military" writing. It does seem that both men had more military action going on than anyone else.

11. Bellerophon

Bellerophon Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 30, 2002
    of course he'll be able to make it work. Any author that is worth writing star wars or any major book serious knows how to change tone whenever needed. With wraith he prolly had the option to be more flexible then the NJO. RS & RD will be great novels, no doubt

12. Bellerophon

Bellerophon Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 30, 2002
    Of course he'll be able to make it work. Any author that is worth writing star wars or any major book series knows how to change tone whenever needed. With wraith he prolly had the option to be more flexible then the NJO. Therefore he decided to take a lighter tone. RS & RD will be great novels, no doubt

13. Anakin1607

Anakin1607 Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 7, 2002
    "Plasma ball the size of a small moon" was absurd. However the rest of the battles, (Talflagio, Black Bantha, Coruscant) I though were well written.

Alston is going to do a great job with these books. I'm looking forward to Rebel Dream more than I was for Ruin.

14. Resolute

Resolute Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 11, 2002
    I personally never liked Allston's style. It was always too choppy and didn't flow with the plot.

Which doesn't mean I didn't like the Wraith books, I just didn't like how he told the stories.

As for him and the NJO, I don't think his will be the highlight of the series, but I don't necessarily think he will crash and burn either.

I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

15. DVader316

DVader316 Jedi Knight star 7

Feb 18, 2000
    Only 39 days 'til Allston's first book is out !! :D

16. MynDonos

MynDonos Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 30, 2002
    man if he kills off wedge antiles i will be beyond pissed off. all the other character deaths so far i've been able to stomach, but that would just be too much.

17. tanjokabri

tanjokabri Jedi Master star 4

Nov 2, 2001
    personally, i think wedge is too important to die in a paperback... because of the x-wing series, he's one of the most well-known characters in GFFA...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.