main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Will Anakin free the slaves in ep 3

Discussion in 'Archive: Revenge of the Sith (Non-Spoilers)' started by Skystrider77, Sep 14, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Skystrider77

Skystrider77 Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 6, 2003
    I was thinking, there was no reference of slaves on tattoine in ANH, and luke and owen don't "own" any so maybe anakin freed the slaves, or they were somehow saved.

Your thoughts...

2. Skystrider77

Sep 6, 2003
    I think he does.

3. Skystrider77

Sep 6, 2003
  4. AdamBertocci

AdamBertocci Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 3, 2002
    No, because he frees them in ROTJ. He frees the galaxy of slavery, of tyranny and evil.

Also... no need to keep posting in your own thread demanding answers. The thread wasn't up long before you bumped it. Patience, young Padawan. :) Welcome to the forums -- be sure to check out our Welcome New Users section.

Rick McCallum loves you!

5. Cow_Girl

Cow_Girl Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 15, 2001
    It is a possibity, but the question, when would he have the time and *why*

I really can't think of a reason why Anaking would bother returning to Tattooine, his mother is dead, so he would not go back to free her, and to me, I think thats the only real reason he would free the slaves, so that his mother could have her freedom.

It is true that there was no mention of slavery in A new Hope but we only got a very small glimpse of Tatooine life, all we really got to see was the Lars Homestead and the Cantina.

6. Jedi_Master201

Jedi_Master201 Jedi Knight star 5

May 5, 2001
    I agree with Adam. Compared to what he does in RotJ, freeing the slaves on Tatooine is a minor issue. He frees the entire galaxy from the death grip of Palpatine.

7. kingthlayer

kingthlayer Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 7, 2003
    There really isn't time for a subplot like that, IMO. Anakin is falling in this film, not doing heroic good deeds like this.

8. Garth Maul

Garth Maul Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 18, 2002
    I think it works better if he doesn't come back.

In Episode III, we're seing the final transformation of the man who was kind, innocent, altruistic Anakin the child, into half-man, half-machine, all Sith.

If it was going to happen, I think it would have happened in AOTC while Anakin was young and relatively idealistic.

9. ogilbyb

ogilbyb Jedi Padawan star 4

May 16, 2003
    No, theres no time to show the freeing of the slaves with all that will happen in the film. Plus Anakin hates Tatooine and he will have bad memories of the planet since his mother was brutally killed there and not freeing the slaves will give him another reason to turn against the Jedi.

10. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    As they said above, no, probably not.

I would also mention that in the OT we're apparently on the more barren, country part of Tatooine. Since for the most part, we're only at the Lars Homestead, it wouldn't make sense to talk about slaves, since I doubt Owen would've considered his mother to be his slave.

But even then, in ROTJ Jabba's dancing girls are like sex slaves or something. Clearly not there of their own free will, anyway. So I guess there actually is slavery on Tatooine in the OT.

11. stinrab

stinrab Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 9, 1998
    Anakin won't free the slaves, but I think it's so stupid that GL put that line in TPM when it has no payoff. What a ripoff :p

12. ogilbyb

ogilbyb Jedi Padawan star 4

May 16, 2003
    Slavery definatly still existed in ROTJ and not just in the Dancing Girls Jabba kept but also that tenticled thing in a cell that reached out for C3PO, the droids in Jabbas palace being tortured and it was clear that Chewbacca was intended to be a slave and Han Solo in a sence.

13. MetalGoldKnight

MetalGoldKnight Jedi Youngling star 4

Jul 31, 2002
    Anakin frees the slaves in RotJ. That's the whole point of that line- it's not meant to be taken literally, rather, it's a vague prophecy made by a child who hasn't the slightest idea just how much he's going to change the galaxy, at times for the worse, but ultimatly for the better.

14. KfistoRox

KfistoRox Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 31, 2002
    Exactly stinrab.

And I by the end of ROTJ part about him freeing everyone then, but didn't he state he would RETURN to free the slaves? Maybe I'm mistaken. I haven't watched TPM in a while.

15. MetalGoldKnight

Jul 31, 2002
    He returned from the Dark Side. And no, I'm not even trying to be witty. That line in TPM was very carefully written and placed, and I'm sure it's not coincedence.

16. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    If its vauge, by a child, and he doens't have the slightest idea, why are we calling it a prophecy at all? Wouldn't "shooting the breeze" be a better term?

If not, I'd better go inform some religious authorities that some young people I know have prophesied their becoming "a pony-princess ballerina fairy." :p

17. KfistoRox

KfistoRox Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 31, 2002
    And what about his promise to his mom? He said he would never fail again. And then he loses Padme and gets whooped by Dooku.

Some of his lines has been full of hot air.

18. MetalGoldKnight

Jul 31, 2002
    Anakin does fail his mother. But he does not fail to free the slaves, he just gets a bit... distracted...

19. wild_karrde

wild_karrde Jedi Grand Master star 7

Oct 8, 1999
    Nah, Anakin won't be going to Tatooine in E3.

20. Captain_Typho

Captain_Typho Jedi Master star 5

Jul 30, 2003
    no way in hell.

21. MetalGoldKnight

Jul 31, 2002
    "Nah, Anakin won't be going to Tatooine in E3."

The line is symbolic, not literal.

22. QuiGonHrafn

QuiGonHrafn Jedi Grand Master star 3

May 25, 2002
    Actually there is still slavery on Tatooine in the radio play of ROTJ. And what was Leia to Jabba - she was his slave.

23. GrandTheftWatto

GrandTheftWatto Jedi Master star 1

Feb 3, 2003
    There is no room for Anakin to do any good deeds in Ep3. The good Anakin will be rapidly slipping away...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.