main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

will anakin 'free' the slaves?

Discussion in 'Archive: Revenge of the Sith (Non-Spoilers)' started by CCK, Aug 6, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CCK

CCK Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 30, 2003
    i hope this hasn't been discussed yet, but you know how anakin had tdreams of freeing the slaves? was that in reference to his mother on tatooine in AOTC or do you think he still has more to do on tatooine in ep III...or somewhere else? any thoughts on this?

2. kingthlayer

kingthlayer Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 7, 2003
    If that was to be done, I think it wouldve been in Episode II. I don't think he goes to Tatooine in Episode III.

3. The_Anakin_Wannabe

The_Anakin_Wannabe Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 21, 2003
    I don't think there will be enough time for Anakin to free the slaves. I think it was just a through away line from TPM.

4. Aesop

Aesop Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 30, 2003
    I doubt it. It's too large of a sub-plot, I think. Though, were there slaves on Tatooine in ANH? He basically enslaves the entire galaxy along with his other empire "buddies", anyways.

5. Comp625

Comp625 Jedi Youngling

May 29, 2002
    You're right about how Vader and the rest of the Empire enslave the galaxy. So when he destroys the Emperor in Return of the Jedi, he does free the Galaxy from the Empire, thus "Freeing the Slaves."

So what I am trying to say is that he kind of does fulfill his dream of freeing the slaves, but not in Episode Three.

6. CCK

CCK Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 30, 2003
    I don't think there will be enough time for Anakin to free the slaves. I think it was just a through away line from TPM.

i think you're right-there's too much other stuff that needs to happen... why do you think they include those kind of throw away lines? i never read the novel of TPM but i heard rumors about some expanded dream sequences...i guess they are just foreshadowing termoil to happen, but it would be cool if the force was so strong in young anakin that he was seeing the future...

7. Jedi_Master201

Jedi_Master201 Jedi Knight star 5

May 5, 2001
    I agree with the idea of freeing the galaxy from the enslavement of the Empire being the fulfillment of that dream.

8. ogilbyb

ogilbyb Jedi Padawan star 4

May 16, 2003
    No he wont. Not only is there no time for it but given what happened to his mother Anakin has bad memories of Tatooine. Its a dream that never gets fullfilled and something else to get him to turn against The Jedi since they would not have allowed Anakin to free The Slaves.

9. Bjork

Bjork Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 21, 2002
    I always thought that because he didn't free the slaves it was also a contributor to his failure and thus his fall to the Dark Side. Although, taking a step back - the theory about ROTJ and freeing the galaxy from the slavery of the Empire also makes sense. :)

10. zombie

zombie Jedi Master star 4

Aug 4, 1999
    I think that whole "free the slaves" thing was a dropped prequel plot point. I dont buy that whole "he frees them in ROTJ by killing the Emperor" thing--thats far too vague an explaination and wouldnt have any affect on slavery in Tattoine, and the whole plot point was far too large to just be a throw-away line. The TPM novel contains extra info given to Brooks by Lucas himself and there are numerous hints that foreshadow Anakins freeing the slaves.
    It would make perfect sense--what better way to establish Anakin as a noble hero--thus making his fall all the more severe--than to have him eliminate slavery on Tatooine. My guess is that Lucas realized that episodes ii-iii were way too crowded even without that particular aspect of the story.
    The fact that he didnt fullfill his dream of freeing the slaves should have been a contributing factor to his fall to the darkside. The whole sub-plot has been pretty much completely ignored in AOTC, but i guess Episode III can address it; my feelings are that, if it is even referenced at all, it would only be in passing, perhaps Palpatine manipulating Anakin by showing him all the ways the jedi held back his dreams.

11. KosmicKnine

KosmicKnine Jedi Padawan star 4

May 31, 2002
    I agree with the idea of freeing the galaxy from the enslavement of the Empire being the fulfillment of that dream.

I agree as well.

...thats far too vague an explaination and wouldnt have any affect on slavery in Tattoine....

Prophesies in stories the world over have tended to be vague and cryptic, so why should this prophetic dream of Anakin's be any different? And Vader/Anakin's killing the Emperor did have an effect on Tatooine; they were partying right along with the rest of the galaxy at the end of ROTJ equally rejoicing in the dethronement of a tyrant.

12. merlin

merlin Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 29, 1999
    [color=663300]I dunno, maybe he will be able to do that. you never know. ;)[/color]

13. Sophita

Sophita Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 24, 2002
    Chances are pretty heavily against it. It isn't related to anything in Episode III, and I don't think it's nearly so big a plot point as a lot of people are saying; if anything I think it was just supposed to help establish Anakin's character in TPM.

14. Garth Maul

Garth Maul Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 18, 2002
    Perhaps it's also to show just how busy one becomes when one is a Jedi.

I always thought it kind of callous of Qui-Gon when he says "I'm sorry, but I didn't come here to free slaves."

Well, WTF Qui-Gon? You tell Obi-Wan to focus on the Living Force and the present - you're ignoring people who need your help because you've got something more important to do?

So Jedi assistance is conditional, depending if it fits into their busy schedules?

Well, maybe that is the case - I'm sure Obi-Wan and Anakin had quite enough to do - but in my mind, the entire freeing the slaves theme shows another problem with the Jedi Order.

Good call on the Empire/slavery aspect - never even considered that before.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.