main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Will Anakin Kill Padme?

Discussion in 'Archive: Revenge of the Sith' started by Quoru, Dec 7, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Quoru

Quoru Jedi Youngling

Dec 6, 2002
    I know this will not be a popular idea, but at least read my post and think for a second before replying.

George Lucas was good friends with Joseph Campbell, one of the most brilliant social scientists of the 20th century. Campbell was a student of Jung and believed in a universal-unconscious. He sought to prove this by showing the common threads in all the world's myths. He broke down thousands of myths to one Monomyth, the common elements in all the world's legends. Now, it's generally acknowledged that GL essentially took Campbell's brilliance and put it in space. However, Campbell's ideas have become a blue-print for modern storytelling, with Harry Potter being the most recent example of a work that totally copies Campbell's ideas.

One of the stages in the monomyth is the Woman as a Temptress. Essentially, the hero is revolted by his own earthly nature/ mortality and projects this revulsion onto women.

Now, we have already seen that Anakin is frustrated with the limits of his power and the pace of his education. He has lost a hand and failed to save his mother. At the same time, Padme is trying to make him believe that he need not be all powerful -- making him the examplar of his mortal nature. It seems highly likely to me that Anakin will be increasingly frustrated by his limitations and is desperate for more power (perhaps something goes badly in the Clone Wars) but Padme opposes him. With prodding from Sidious Anakin turns and projects his anger. This would, in all likelyhood, be something that the Emperor would demand (is it really conceivable that the Emperor would want another influence on Anakin? Or that Darth Vader would let Padme abandon him?).

Now I know this goes against Leia remembering her mother, but who cares. Her response to Luke was vague at best, and her memories are similar to those I have of my grandfather who died before my first birthday. Toss in some power in the force and who knows...

Any thoughts?

2. dehrian

dehrian Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 18, 1999
    Lucas said we'd feel sorry for Anakin. Who here would feel sorry for someone who had killed his own wife?

AOTC sets up that Anakin will turn looking for the power to keep her alive, not kill her.

"Someday I will learn to stop people from dying."

"I promise you, I won't fail again."

Padme either dies or is dying, and he turns to the dark side looking for the quick and easy power to keep her alive.

That's my $.02.

3. weezyslob

weezyslob Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 3, 2002
    I personally don't think it's gonna happen. I mean you really can't bring all those mythos and ways of storytelling into it. It's Star Wars, GL gives the fans what they want to see and what fits well into the story. I don't think GL would have Anakin kill Padme just to stick to that guy you mentioned's style of storytelling. He didn't put Boba Fett in AOTC because of it, or have 3P0 created by Anakin because of it. I know those examples don't really have anything to do with what you're saying, but what I'm saying is that you can't over analyze SW that much. GL will do what the fans want and what fits. I don't think Anakin killing Padme is what the fans want nor does it fit.

4. Grilled-Sarlacc

Grilled-Sarlacc Former Head Admin star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 19, 2001
    A little bit similar to dehrian's input, I think she will die and Anakin will then have had it with the Jedi.

Anakin will have lost another love and will blame the slow Jedi teachings as "holding him back."

"I could have saved her. I know I could have..."

After witnessing Dooku's power (a power the Jedi do not wield), Anakin will give in to the dark side in an effort to gain those lucrative and special powers that surpass that of the Jedi order. He will believe (is tricked) that the dark side is indeed the answer he wished he'd always had, and what might have saved his mother and wife.

To prove it...he will challenge his master Obi-Wan...

5. azzgonjinn

azzgonjinn Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 24, 2002
    No chance, why would you save ugly old Luke and kill beautiful young padme

6. D_Lowe

D_Lowe Jedi Knight star 6

Aug 15, 2002
    Quoru:
    At the same time, Padme is trying to make him believe that he need not be all powerful -- making him the examplar of his mortal nature.
    • Actually she just told him that he wasn't all powerful and she was right. Anakin at that moment wasn't all powerful. If you listen Lucas' commentary about that scene, Anakin is now motivated to become the most powerful. But that hadn't happen yet and Padme just reminded him that he wasn't. In any case, he won't kill Padme.

7. Sedious

Sedious Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 31, 2002
    Ofcause he won't kill padme,it would be the same as if obiwan killed ani.its not in their character

LOCK THIS TOPIC

8. Loco_for_Lucas

Loco_for_Lucas Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 15, 2002
    Lucas said we'd feel sorry for Anakin. Who here would feel sorry for someone who had killed his own wife?

Maybe she nagged him alot.

"Anakin, did you take out the trash?"

"When are you getting a job?"

"Anakin, the VCR is blinking 12:00, fix it."

"Anakin, did you pick up blue milk from the store today?"

"Anakin, where's the remote?"

"My mother is coming, try not to say anything stupid like you always do."

"Anakin, these dishes are dirty."

"Anakin, why did you leave the window open?"

"Well at least I wasn't a slave, I know how to save a dollar or two."

"Anakin, what time are you picking up the dry cleaning?"

"Hey, Mister Chosen One, these plants aren't going to water themselves."

9. MobartZmuda

MobartZmuda Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 3, 2002
    lol @ Loco

Anakin killing Padme would be an unforgiveable sin to the audience. I agree with Dehrian and Grilled-Sarlacc . Anakin tries to save Padme, not kill her, and that is how he is seduced by the darkside.

10. Tricky

Tricky Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 26, 2001
    Following what you've said about Campbell's storytelling style Quoru, Padme can only be killed by Anakin if another man is involved, in a love triangle. Y'know the old story, if he can't have her love, then nobody can have her love & all that.

I think Obi-1 is too noble a Jedi to selfishly fall for his padawan's woman.

11. Sedious

Sedious Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 31, 2002
    this's one of these topics that can be locked after the first 2 - 3 posts becaouse its to far gone.

LOCK THIS TOPIC LOCK THIS TOPIC LOCK THIS TOPIC LOCK THIS TOPIC LOCK THIS TOPIC LOCK THIS TOPIC LOCK THIS TOPIC LOCK THIS TOPIC

ITS RIDICULOUS

12. Jedi_Learner

Jedi_Learner Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 10, 2002
    We know that Anakin loves and care for Padme more than anyone else outside of his family. I doubt very much Anakin would kill his own love and wife. The fans would surely hate the thought of it?

I can sense your anger Sedious, let go of your hatred before it destroys you...

13. mushy

mushy Jedi Youngling

Dec 1, 2002
    I think sidious kills padme. Somehow he finds out about the two children and when she wont tell him where they are he kills her and tells Anakin a story about how he tried to save her blah blah blah

14. MobartZmuda

MobartZmuda Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 3, 2002
    I don't think the Emperor can know of the Skywalker twins because if he did, he would make sure they were dead along with Padme nor would the Emperor sound surprised in ESB when tells Vader, "We have a new enemy".

15. MilleniumIstraShavas

MilleniumIstraShavas Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 27, 2002
    First to the topic: No Anakin wont kill Padme. I dont think shell even die. Then again if she does, I think Anakin will see it happen, which will lead to his fall.

ON another topic, I dont think the story that The emperor/Vader couldnt know about the twins holds up. They could know about the twins yes, but who would think your kids would come back to be the death of ya?

If ya read Mythology its always about the son or daughter coming back and killing the father. The father always knew about the kids, but either 1) Sent them away so early they couldnt remember him. 2) had someone kill them, but that someone didnt, and sent them away.

So its very plausible that Anakin KNOWS about the kids, but either 1) Has them sent away, by orders of Jedi council...I mean hes a jedi he cant be married, MUCH less have kids.
    2) Anakin doesnt know, but Palp does, and palp has them killed...but they are not killed, they are sent away, by the person who was supposed to kill them.

I think the Jedi council will force Padme and the kids away from Anakin, cause hes a Jedi. This will piss Anakin off bad and Hell turn against the Jedi -- and GO to his dear friend Palpatine for help :)

16. Darthsithattack

Darthsithattack Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 6, 2002
    I think that the jedi when they find out about Anikin and padme that they will oppose it of course. they will say politicians are not to be trusted. Then they will kick Anikin out of the jedi order, and that will really tick him off. Padme will die maybe from sidious and Anikin will think it is by the Jedi and he will get mad and start to turn to the darkside. SO thats my thought, there will be no anikin killing Padme.

17. blobo

blobo Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 7, 2002
    that the most stupid thing i have ever heard, anakin loves her more then anything

18. yodalover

yodalover Jedi Youngling

Dec 7, 2002
    OK everybody,... I know I'm in the wrong thread to ask this bu I'm kinda in a hurry and I don't have time to look around...
    this question is quite elementary but I can't find the answer so here goes...
    Why is Mace Windu's saber a pink/purplish color?

19. Jedi_Learner

Jedi_Learner Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 10, 2002
    Why is Mace Windu's saber a pink/purplish color?

The actor Samuel Jackson asked for a Purple Lightsabre for his character. :)

20. DarthSiren

DarthSiren Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 25, 2002
    I wouldn't count on Anakin killing Padme. For one thing, she represents the good within him, the one shread of light Anakin held onto all those years that he was Vader. Plus, I think Padme's death is what pushes him over the edge. I mean, if it isn't that, what is it?

21. yodalover

yodalover Jedi Youngling

Dec 7, 2002
    He surely won't kill her but I would like to see the reason behind her demise... we all know she's not around when the kids are older.

22. FitFisto

FitFisto Jedi Youngling

Dec 6, 2002
    he could

maybee the dark side completely takes hold of him and he kills her in his rage.

23. shadow_angel13

shadow_angel13 Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 7, 2002
    If you ask me I think Palpatine kills her.

24. tDR

tDR Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 12, 2002
    Well maybe in a way he does kill her..

He watches Palpatine while he kills her slowly... but VADER doesnt move, staring at her to her death, just like he nearly did with Luke.

25. shadow_angel13

shadow_angel13 Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 7, 2002
    Possiblely. Mabe thats why he saves Luke from the Emporer in ROTJ. He can not stand to see it happen again.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.