Will Anakin Kill Padme?

Discussion in 'Revenge of the Sith' started by Quoru, Dec 7, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AL Chosen One

star 5

Portman was hated by virtually everyone on the set. You should hear some of the nicknames they came up for her. Suffice to say, one of them rhymes with Queen Runt.
  2. SHB-JR Jedi Master

star 4
    Really AL ? Where'd ya hear that - or are ya joshing ?
    PM me if you can't be bothered to bring this up in this post.

SHB JR
  3. Darth_Malak2009 Jedi Padawan

maybe Padme had to run away because she idn't want to turn to the Dark side or afraid of ani. Then she took Leia with Bail Organa to Alderaan so she could watch over Leia. Then she died when the Death Star destoys Alderaan.
  4. G-FETT Chosen One

star 7
    Where did you dig up that old fossil?

Well, after seeing Padme Amidala's being attacked by Anakin on the Web-Cam this week, I guess the debate that was sparked in this legendary thread is at a close. Yes, Quoru knew what so many didn't, he knew that Anakin wouldn't just bring about Padme's death through his bad choice's-But that Anakin would actually kill Padme!

There are replies at the start of this thread going right back to December 02, and you can see just how everyones views evolved on this. Quite funny to look back and see how more or nobody saw this coming, a few years ago. :D
  5. Naberrie_SkyWalker Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    I dont even want to search and see what kind of fuss I made about this even less than a year ago....

I may have accepted it.....doesnt mean I have to like it [face_not_talking]
  6. Leonard_Shelby Force Ghost

star 6
    "Quite funny to look back and see how more or nobody saw this coming, a few years ago."

You're right. None of us saw this coming. I never...EVER saw this one coming. I always thought her death (by someone else's hands) would be the catalyst for his full embrace of the Dark Side. It still is the catalyst...but he's the one who does the deed. Insanely tragic and emotional. GL has topped my expectations with this one. "No twists" in Episode III, indeed...
  7. JAWA-STEW Jedi Knight

Since Lucas said that "we would feel sorry for Anakin," I always figured that Sidious killed Padme and blames someone else, perhaps Anakin. I can't see us feeling sorry for Anakin after choking Padme to death.
  8. darth-sinister Manager Emeritus

star 10
    We'd feel sorry for him because Palpatine has corrupted Anakin's mind. The very things that Anakin wanted to protect the most, Vader destroyed all in an instant. The downside to becoming all powerful is that he's wearing an iron lung and has lost his family, which had once been very important to him.
  9. Leonard_Shelby Force Ghost

star 6
    "I can't see us feeling sorry for Anakin after choking Padme to death."

He doesn't choke her to death. He chokes her, yes...but she dies from childbirth complications, coupled with what I think has been said to be a possible head injury...because Anakin tosses her to the side with the Force to get at Obi-Wan, and she hits her head. Had she not gone into labor, she may have survived...but the stress from both the injury and childbirth will prove to be too much.

I still think it is possible to feel bad for Anakin, despite his actions....because even though he is angry at Padme, I firmly believe he had NO intentions of hurting her...much-less killing her. He is basically blinded by his anger and feelings of betrayal, which leads to this awful, accidental tragedy. We all know that Palpy has done some serious manipulations on the boy...and that is blinding him, too...which can make folks--in a way--sympathize with him. I don't think we will feel all-out sorry for Anakin...but partly...due to what has been fed to him by Palpy, which leads to all of the tragic and awful events that will follow.

EDIT: What sinister said, also.
  10. -E- Force Ghost

star 3
    I, for one, hopes he smokes her.
    Not to put too fine a point on it, but that's the only way I ever saw it happening while I was growing up. I was born in '80, so I grew up with the trilogy; I actually remember having one of those post-movie conversations with my family when I was about 4 or so. For some reason even then I assumed Daddy offed Mommy, and convinced my family that was the case. So you see, it's time for my vindication.
    Because I say it, it WILL BE SO!!

(Speaking of post-movie conversations, now that I think waaay back, SW also was the example when sex and genetics were first explained to me as an itty bitty kid. Worked like a charm; imagine a first grader explaining cell splitting to their ditzy MS teacher. Lessons for children indeed, Mr. Lucas.)
  11. Razorback Jedi Youngling

star 5
    Yes, he kills her... here is evidence taken from the webcam that is not available on HS (meaning, showing this does not violate the rules of Hyperspace postings... granted, it could be fake):

http://img2.exs.cx/img2/5264/PROOF.jpg

RB
  12. Naberrie_SkyWalker Jedi Grand Master

star 5
  13. -Commander_Thigh- Jedi Master

star 4
  14. Darth_Caliginous Jedi Master

star 2
  15. G-FETT Chosen One

star 7
    One could argue that Padme's fate belong here-This was definatly the oldest of the two threads. ;)

I think it will go down, like this:

Padme arrives on Mustafar before Obi-Wan. During their conversation in Padme's apartment, she tells Obi-Wan that she doesn't know where Anakin is. She doesn't betray Anakin. But of course, Obi-Wan knows she is lying. So, he allows her to leave Coruscant (she tells him shes going to Alderaan for safetly) And he follows her Mustafar. When she arrives on Mustafar, Padme finds Anakin just finishing his Sepratist slaughter. As she looks around at all the dead Sepratost bodies, Padme realise's that everything Obi-Wan told her about Anakin turning to the dark side is true. Angry words are exchanged, and Padme tells Anakin he will never see her or his child again. The thought of losing his beloved Padme and the unborn child is devastating for Anakin and his love for Padme begins to shine through the Dark Side that is starting to take him over. Anakin is just on the verge of coming back to Padme (and the light side) when Obi-Wan's ship arrive's. The sight of Obi's ship sends Anakin into a blind rage, as he believe's Padme has betrayed his whereabouts to Obi-Wan, before Padme can tell Anakin that Obi-Wan followed her, Anakin lose's control and screams at Padme, and we see her suddenly start raching for her neck and falling to her knees. Her eye's are pleading at Anakin, but he is too consumed by hate and rage to see. Finally she falls backwards and it's at this moment that Obi-Wan arrives in the room. Sees what Anakin has done and the duel begins....

I think that ties things together quite well, because it makes Anakin's final turn much more tragic, the fact that he believe's she betrayed him, but infact she didn't, but by the time he realise's the truth, it's too late-He's lost control. We also have the thing of Obi-Wan's guilt, because he allowed her to get to Mustafar, so in a way, her death is his fault too.
  16. Razorback Jedi Youngling

star 5
    G-FETT, that about covers it. :)

RB
  17. Barriss_Coffee Chosen One

star 6
    I'm sorry, but I'm going to hate this next movie if Anakin chokes Padme.

I hate to get all sentimental, and give some corny speech, but here goes:

I saw Return of the Jedi when I was 8 or 9 like most others, and I felt strangely sorry for Vader when he made Luke take off his mask, knowing that he would die. We all knew Vader was going to go in the end, but it was actually sad when he did. He looked like a man who had gone through a great deal of pain, had done an awful lot of sinister things in his time, but was sincerely sorry in the end of what he had become. The only ally he had left in the galaxy was his son, whom he had risked his life for and inevitably paid the price.

The bond here was between a father and his children (yes, Leia wasn't present, but she was still mentioned in Anakin's last words).

If Anakin chokes the mother of his children, this completely distroys this bond, as well as my image of Vader's last moment in ROTJ. Anakin turned back to the light side because of his children. He had fought Luke several times in the films, but the final confrontation turned him back to the Light.

Vader/Anakin had more reason to hate Luke than Padme. Why would he keep Luke alive and choke Padme? What possible reason would drive him to kill her? Furthermore, he knew she was pregnant, so he knew he was killing his children as well. This not only breaks the father/son/daughter bond, but it ultimately makes NO SENSE.

I don't think Lucas, let alone anyone, can make the "Anakin chokes Padme" situation believable. If Anakin hurts his wife in any way, no one is going to feel sorry for him by the end of the movie, or even by the end of the saga.
  18. Naberrie_SkyWalker Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    well..he is not going to PURPOSELY choke Padme..she is not Ozzel..
    he will be upset..will be on the warpath to Obi..and Padme will just be in the way. He will only know later that she is dead..

had done an awful lot of sinister things in his time, but was sincerely sorry in the end
    and this is one of those things
  19. BabaORileyFett Jedi Master

star 4
    When I first heard the rumor that Anakin would Force Choke Padme, my reaction was not...positive. I hated the idea with a passion, so much that I wasn't sure if I could even enjoy Episode III if it were to happen.

AOTC is a fave of mine because of the warmth and innocence displayed between Anakin and Padme. I just couldn't imagine Anakin doing something so evil and tragic to the one person he cares about more than anyone else--Padme.

But, I've certainly gotten used to the idea, and have put things in perspective. He loves her so much he'll even hurt her, but I'm certain his intention is not to kill her. And when you really think about it hard enough, Darth Vader committed various acts of evil during his reign with the Empire, and many innocents were eradicated because of him.

Lucas is gonna have to hit the fan with the Sith, and make Anakin's turn and the birth of Darth Vader believable and shocking. Anakin harming Padme would certainly help set apart the young, naive Anakin we saw in TPM and AOTC from the demented, disturbed, and emotionless being we've come to know in ANH and ESB.

Lucas did his job with AOTC. I invested in Anakin and Padme's relationship and cared for their love, and now it must all unwind, leaving an uneasiness in my stomach and an emptiness in my heart.

20. Barriss_Coffee Chosen One

star 6
    Anakin choking Padme isn't going to go over too well with most viewers. Fans will be more accepting, but the average person watching the film will see it as wife-beating and Lucas's career will be shot.
  21. BabaORileyFett Jedi Master

star 4
    Anakin choking Padme isn't going to go over too well with most viewers. Fans will be more accepting, but the average person watching the film will see it as wife-beating and Lucas's career will be shot.

It will be a dramatic, shocking event, no doubt, especially watching it unfold on the big screen for the first time.

However, its shock factor can be only taken so far with a Force Choke (or Force Push). Anakin won't be beating up Padme to a pulp or anything of that nature.

Lucas' career has withstood loads of criticism. I'm sure he'll be fine if controversy does indeed heat up after the film's release.

22. oldken Jedi Master

star 4
    good grief people in a word the answer is...

YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

get over it,

im praying the scene stays in (meaning its deffinate, unless one of you whining, over sensitive, P.C. nerds, causes lucas to redo the scene)

cause if it stays, theres like 10000 people ive seen say that if its true they wont see it

GOOD!!!

that means i wont have to wait in line for 2 days to see what is shaping up to be the most dark and probably best episode of star wars ever!

i guessed the ROTS title, you opposed, i was right,

i guessed anakin would be the reason for padmes demise, you still oppose and im right

and both,i said i wanted to be,before ep2 even came out.

yes she dies in ep 3!!! and its ani's fault, so start selling me your SW merch for nothin now, dont wait till may 05, just pm me and tell me what you got,give me your lucas is a tyrranical horrible man, rock bottom price.

mwahahahahahahah mwaaahahahahahahahaha mwaaaaaahahahahahah!!!!!!!!!

no more annoying lil ani, no more lovey dovey crap, just what ive been waitin for since 77, an aswer.

why?

what turned this man into the pure evil killing machine known throughout the galaxy as darth vader?

one part being a slave most of his life, one part the jedi not letting him go to his mother, one part palpatines encouragement guidence and influence.

hmm, thats still not enough is it?

but now if you add the fact that he felt betrayed by the one good person left in his life,by leading his former master right to him,and through his anger of taking this personal insult as the straw that broke the camels back.

then while arguing with obiwan, and holding padme back with the force.

his master proved to be annoyingly right one last time,

"anakin enough! your hurting her!"

and as anaknin shocked and startled by what he did,sees her go limp as he lets go of what he thought was mearly restraint.

and im sure in anakins mind this is the fault of the jedi as well,

this wouldnt have happened if you would have listened to me! you shouldnt have come here obiwan, you are no match for me, master (sarcastically, with tears in his eyes)

its gonna go down like this.

if you ever believed anything you read here, believe this, its not gonna go down like spousal abuse on an episode of cops!!!

aunt beru and uncle owen were burned alive for gods sake!!!

you can tell they were crawling outside while covered in the SW equivelent of napalm.

anakin accidentally causing a fatal injury to me is not that bad!

men should never hit women, that isnt even up for debate!!! drop it!!! drop it drop it drop it drop it!!!

or start the boycott now... but good luck,

cause the people with faith in lucas know its not gonna be anakin beatin the hell outa her with a pabst in the other hand,

its an accident, does that make it right... no.

was it right to slaughter a whole town of tuskens women and children included?

no

but it was handled tastefully, and this will as well.

anakin slaughtering women and children on purpose is way worse than an accident, why will he have this accident?

because he is young and reckless, and has to much power and not enough control,

its not real life with a man with his hands phisically around her throught,

its force restraint, but the dark side power raging through him makes him loose track of whats happening!!!

get over it!!!!!

was that too far... i can never tell ;)
  23. Leonard_Shelby Force Ghost

star 6
    Good post, G-FETT...but you make it sound like he is going to force-choke her to death. That simply is not the case....unless you believe that she'll be dead, and they'll dig the babies out of her dead body? Highly doubtful. Her death will be a combination of whatever injuries she receives from Anakin's attack and complications from childbirth. Death due to severe trauma, if you will.

That, and she has to be alive to establish a connection with Leia. I firmly believe that she will be dead just as she is giving birth to her second child--Luke. ;)
  24. rhonderoo Former Head Admin

star 9

This is what I worry about. With the Scott Peterson case and others so visible in the news, it could be viewed as being in very BAD taste. Sure, fans may think its cool and tragic, but it happens in real life and it will be disturbing to the casual viewer. Granted, Lucas has said it will be very dark, yada, yada. He's still going to be trying to sell toys. ;)

So the scene, however it happens, could very well be tamed down in editing or after the ratings are returned. Especially if the censors smack a PG-13 or R rating on it for violence. And don't give me the decapitation of Jango, arms flying off, etc., burning corpses...spiel, its not going to be viewed the same. Violence to a pregnant woman just won't go over well with the casual "lightsabers and space fights" crowd.

Having said that, I'm not one of those in denial that it will happen. Although I want to reserve my judgement and not be said I'm 100% sure, as I want to be on the opposite end of THAT humble pie if it doesn't happen because that would be one HUGE slice for 99% of the 3SA. [face_laugh]
  25. BabaORileyFett Jedi Master

star 4
    So the scene, however it happens, could very well be tamed down in editing or after the ratings are returned. Especially if the censors smack a PG-13 or R rating on it for violence. And don't give me the decapitation of Jango, arms flying off, etc., burning corpses...spiel, its not going to be viewed the same. Violence to a pregnant woman just won't go over well with the casual "lightsabers and space fights" crowd.

A Force Choke or Push can't be manipulated in real life, just like the majority of the violence in a SW film. That's why Lucas manages to get away with so much in his films. The MPAA makes a distinction between life-like and fantasy violence.

What will be most disturbing if Anakin Force Chokes/Pushes Padme is not the act of violence itself but the fact that Padme is his victim.

Having said that, Vader tried to kill his own son. Harming his pregnant wife really isn't any more unsettling.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.