main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Will Anakin Kill Padme?

Discussion in 'Archive: Revenge of the Sith' started by Quoru, Dec 7, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. anakin_girl

anakin_girl Jedi Knight star 6

Oct 8, 2000
    I think this quote from Lucas himself is significant here:

"...if you start with Star Wars, then Vader?s just the villain, and that?s it. But you don?t realize that he?s a human being, that he?s got problems you don?t realize that he could have been saved, that he was tricked and can be resurrected."

Doesn't sound to me like we're talking about a guy who would kill his wife in cold blood.

2. Darth-Vengence

Darth-Vengence Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 16, 2002
    This thread is completely hogwash because Padme isn't killed in episode 3, she isn't killed at all. She dies between episodes 3 and 4. I can't believe so many people are like, I have to see Padme die because she isn't in the OT! That's completely bogus. Her death scene doesn't need to be shown on screen. Leia explains that her mother died when she was a young girl, meaning sometime in between episode 3 and 4.

That's a perfect explanation for me. Her death wouldn't make sense anyway if she died in episode 3. Leia would be just born, and theres no way she could remember that her mother was kind, beautiful and sad. And if Leia remembered her mother when she was just born, why didn't Luke???

It only makes sense that she dies between the trilogies.

3. GS335

GS335 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 22, 2001
    The fact that Anakin brutally kills Dooku, betrays the Jedi and a guy who he claims was a father to him (i.e., Obi Wan Kenobi) is enough.

Him killing his own wife is not only overkill, it makes the whole original trilogy an absolute joke. In the OT (well at the end of ESB and most of ROTJ), despite vader's evil, we see that there's a struggle, as far as vader continuing to do evil, and follow his heart and do what is right. The good side was always there, but he just turned his back on it. But in ROTJ, when he is redeemed, he finally turns back to the good.

The point of ROTJ was, the goodside was always there in him, but he had to make the choice to end the cycle of hate and finally do what is right, which he did at the end. That is what makes the whole Star Wars franchise great.

Anakin killing his own frekin' wife totally ruins that notion, thus making darth vader less of a complex villan who deep down, is struggling between good and evil, and more of a one dimensional bad guy who's less interesting and a total bore. In turn, this turns Anakin/vader's character into a total caricature. Thus, essentially ruining the entire Star Wars saga. It makes him totally irredeemable. Not to mention, his redeemption in ROTJ will look like a total joke.

Sure he's done some evil things and sure he's bad in 4 out of 6 SW films. But, the inner conflict in him has always made vader an interesting character, though I've never liked many of the things he's done to other people.

As much as I want to see more of a darkside in Anakin, him killing his wife would be a bit too much for me, as it will for many other fans. Not just because the act is horrific, but it again, ruins the entire saga for obvious reasons.

I seriously hope Lucas doesn't have Anakin kill her at all. It would definately ruin Star Wars, which I've been a fan of for over 20 years.

4. jewlmc

jewlmc Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 29, 1999
    Darth_Vengence, I think you need to read up on some HEAVY spoiler/rumours about Padme's likely death. Please do so. It's not confirmed, but it's highly unlikely that Padme will be breathing when the credits roll around for EP III.

Whatever the case, it gets awfully tiresome when someone comes along and recites the same old "Padme CAN'T die because Leia remembers her, yadda yadda yadda" song and dance when many a possibility for it "making sense" has been talked about.

As for Anakin killing her, whatever happens it won't be in cold blood. At most, I can see it being inadvertant. He didn't mean to, but them's the breaks when you turn to evil.

And if some of you have a problem with Padme being an accidental victim of Anakin/Vader's treachery, or his standing back and doing nothing until it's too late, you need to remember a few things.

First of all, Vader stood back while the Empire blew up an entire planet full of people. He watched Leia be tortured, among countless others(Hint: He didn't become the most fearsome Dark Lord in the galaxy by patting people on the head.). He may have had a 'soft spot" for Luke, but that wasn't until MUCH later on, after Luke began to "get to him". Before that he was more than willing to hurt him if neccesary to turn him to the darkside.

This isn't a micky mouse turn to evil. At least, let's hope not. Killing her in cold blood, even in a jealous rage is too much, I'll grant. But accidentally, or standing by indecisive till the last minute while the Emperor does it wouldn't be too much. As long as we see the GUILT.

5. Darth-Guy

Darth-Guy Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 13, 2003
    Some people here are missing spoilers and thus have no idea what they are talking about.

- Anakin kills Dooku with Palps watching in the first ten minutes of the film.

- Padme dies and has a funeral towards the end of the flim.

- We will be shocked by how she dies.

- Anakin has a moment of choice where he can chose between light and dark.

Also, given that we know Anakin will be responsible for the death of thousands (if not millions) of people, that he is universally reviled by the OT and that he tortured his own daughter...how is then killing his wife such a monstrous act that he can't be redeemed? Don't want to be sexist but I get the impression most of the people rejecting this idea on that basis are young girls obsessed with the concept of love. These movies are not a love story.

Also, someone said how could Padme become a representation of all Anakin's failures. That is an inane question, it's already happened once. If Padme questions him, and tells him he is not all powerful (as she did in AotC) she has become a representation of his failures. How is that difficult to understand?

6. Nubby-one

Nubby-one Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 10, 2003
    This is the question.
    If Luke knew that Vader/Anakin killed his mother would he still redeem him?

7. anakin_girl

Oct 8, 2000
    Darth-Guy:

Don't want to be sexist but I get the impression most of the people rejecting this idea on that basis are young girls obsessed with the concept of love.

31 year old married woman here--hardly a "young girl obsessed with love". [face_plain]

Also, given that we know Anakin will be responsible for the death of thousands (if not millions) of people, that he is universally reviled by the OT and that he tortured his own daughter...how is then killing his wife such a monstrous act that he can't be redeemed?

Because he loved his wife, he didn't love those people. He didn't know Leia was his daughter. He did most of the killings under orders, similar to the Gestapo men--who then went home to wives and families that they didn't kill and in fact, loved. Not defending the Gestapo, but I don't think they were as bad as Hitler--or in this case, Palpatine.

Also, someone said how could Padme become a representation of all Anakin's failures. That is an inane question, it's already happened once. If Padme questions him, and tells him he is not all powerful (as she did in AotC) she has become a representation of his failures. How is that difficult to understand?

I don't appreciate being talked to like I'm stupid, or a three-year-old. :mad:

So she questions him--who cares? Has no one ever questioned you? If so, is that person a "representation of all your failures"? Please.

Anakin didn't even get angry at Padme for telling him he wasn't all powerful. She certainly doesn't become a "representation of all his failures" based on that one statement.

These movies may not be a love story--but they're not a story about a psychotic wife-killer either.

8. JediMasterDylan

JediMasterDylan Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 8, 2003
    I'm also really tired of the Anakin kills Padme theories. It would kill all likability for him. Makes what Leia said in RoTJ worthless as pointed out before. I don't know if I buy the spy report that she dies in Ep 3 from a week ago "Welcome to the planet."

9. Aatiyki

Aatiyki Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 23, 2002
    *agrees with Anakin's_girl*

Sure Anakin kills a lot of people in the end, but not people that he loves (obviously he and Obi-wan have a falling out, and their relationship began deteriorating in AOTC, and in my opinion, Obi and Anakin's relationship was not as close-knit as it appeared to begin with). If he had known that Leia was his daughter, do you honestly think he would have tortured her? The product of what he and Padme had before it was all lost? Isn't that what Luke is too? If percieved as the enemy and nothing else, hell yeah. But if he sees that the enemy is a part of him, his blood, his own offspring, he'd more than likely second guess what he's doing, as he did with Luke. He could have killed Luke, but he didn't strictly because it was his son. Otherwise there is no good reason to let him live, he'd only be a threat later. If he has the capacity to kill Padme, Luke would have been killed without question, and then Star Wars would have ended there.

10. Stunted_Slime

Stunted_Slime Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 14, 2003
    He should because she gave it up to Paolo first.

11. JDH3

JDH3 Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 27, 2003
    Ok time for me to add my 2 cents to this discussion. I agree with anakin_girl in that if Anakin is responsible it will be inadvertant. Sadly however Lucas has in the past done things that have "ruined" SW for some fans in the past so I can't rule out cold blooded murder. That being said it would be very hard to feel sorry for him in the OT if he kills Padme in cold blood, anger or no. I get the feeling that a true tragedy would be for Palpatine to request Anakin to destroy people who threaten the New Order and one of them happens to be Padme. Remember "The darkside clouds everything." Perhaps Anakin has a vague impression that the attack or what have you that he is ordering(doing) is wrong but does it anyway. In doing or ordering this action Padme is killed thus fueling his anger. Maybe Palpatine blames the deception on the Jedi and Anakin in his grief and hate believes him. Whatever the case may be the idea of Anakin killing Padme is truly disturbing to fans(like me) who believe that he was tricked and is worthy of redemption in ROTJ.

12. Anonymous24

Anonymous24 Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 21, 2003
    Well, I always thought that Vader had forsaken all the things he loved in the past for power. I think that Vader would easily be able to hurt the people he loved... because part of his tranformation into Vader would have been denying himself love of any kind, except for pride(love of himself) and love of success. So I don't think it would be too hard to believe that Anakin kills Padme in cold-blood.

However, considering what happened in Eps. I and Eps. II, I don't think it would fit into the story at this point. The only way I could see Anakin killing Padme intentionally is if she was involved in some kind of love-triangle with Obi-Wan. Lucas chose not to pursue this path. If he had, it would be *very* believable for Vader to kill Padme in cold blood. But if there was going to be a love triangle of some kind, it would have begun to be developed way back in TPM. As many of you know who own the Insider's Guide, it seems like Lucas may have toyed with the idea(the Insider's Guide talks about how Padme was giving Obi-Wan looks that were making him nervous), but because Lucas ultimately rejected the idea, it wouldn't make sense in Ep. III for Anakin to intentionally kill Padme.

I understand what Joseph Campbell is saying, which is basically that a lot of men end up hating women. And Lucas bases a lot of Star Wars on what Campbell wrote. But... I don't know. We'll just have to see.

By the way, I think its completely possible that Anakin could kill Padme and still retain some shreck of goodness within him. He wouldn't become 'a totally evil bore' or whatever. He'd still be as complicated as he's supposed to be.

13. DarthLazious

DarthLazious Jedi Youngling star 4

Jan 24, 2003
    Anakin will not kill Padme.

14. Darth-Guy

Aug 13, 2003
    You're right, they're not the story of a wife killer. They are about the redemption of a once great person. Redeeming someone from actions that were not their responsibility is meaningless. The ultimate redemption of a once evil character who committed horrible deeds is an incredibly powerful story.

I didn't talk to you specifically like an idiot, but rather the masses of people who are simply replying with (paraphrashed) 'no he loves her'. Or those who simply say no, or those who clearly have no understanding of Joseph Campbell nor the role he played in the creation of Star Wars. Look at the initial draft of the Star Wars plot, Lucas openly admits that after writing that he met Campbell and 'it all came together'. He openly credits Campbell with much of his success. To just disregard something which plays a pivotal role in Campbellian mythology simply because you don't understand it is childish, immature and downright stupid.

If Anakin simply murdered Padme out of the blue it might make him irredeemable, but I'm not suggesting that (I'm Quoru btw, lost the pass for that account). Some people seem to think that is what I'm suggesting, only god knows why.

15. Invictus_Sol

Invictus_Sol Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 30, 2003
    If Anakin simply murdered Padme out of the blue it might make him irredeemable, but I'm not suggesting that (I'm Quoru btw, lost the pass for that account). Some people seem to think that is what I'm suggesting, only god knows why.

You probably should have made the thread title a bit clearer, for one.

16. Anonymous24

Anonymous24 Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 21, 2003
    Yes, I believe Anakin could kill Padme but still be redeemable.

I believe that it would probably would have been better and more interesting if Anakin did kill Padme in cold blood.

But, it would have to be handled skillfully, and it would suggest a level of complexity I don't think we'll be seeing in Star Wars.

17. qui-gon-kim

qui-gon-kim Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 19, 2001
    To just disregard something which plays a pivotal role in Campbellian mythology simply because you don't understand it is childish, immature and downright stupid.

Calling those who disagree with you "downright stupid" is uncalled for.

18. Darth-Guy

Aug 13, 2003
    So is posting ignorantly yet with a tone of mental and moral superiority.

19. anakin_girl

Oct 8, 2000
    What qui-gon-kim said.

I don't appreciate being called "childish, immature, and downright stupid" just because I disagree with you--and this is the second time you've done it.

20. anpu

anpu Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 14, 2003
    To join the Sith order you MUST kill someone that you care for as a blood sacrifice. It is totally possible that Anakin Kills Padme since Darth Friday said she dies in this movie. And it is totally possible that if he kills her he could feel guilt over it. It may explain why he helped Luke in the fight with the emperor and why he didn't kill him on Bespin. He probably couldn't stand being responsible for the death of some one else he loved and the last thing that tied him to Padme. As for Leia's memories, she said she vaguely remembers all she remembers are images and feelings. This could easily be visions of the past she is getting through the force due to her latent powers and since she didn't know she was force sensitive she merely shrugged them off as memories.

21. anakin_girl

Oct 8, 2000
    To join the Sith order you MUST kill someone that you care for as a blood sacrifice.

Says who?

22. anpu

anpu Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 14, 2003
    Says any comic book that has covered the topic

23. anakin_girl

Oct 8, 2000
    I don't read comic books or accept them as canon.

24. qui-gon-kim

qui-gon-kim Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 19, 2001
    Yeah, let's leave EU out of this, as it has been contradicted by the films many times.

25. DARTHBROKER

DARTHBROKER Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 25, 2001
    word qui-gon. comics = crap.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.