Will Anakin's (not the twins) birth be a plot point?

Discussion in 'Revenge of the Sith (Non-Spoilers)' started by Garth Maul, Sep 20, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Garth Maul Manager Emeritus

star 6
    I was just watching TPM, and it came to my attention again (I forget to mention this every time) that Anakin was not born on Tatooine.

It's in the scene where Padme first talks to him in Watto's shop.

She asks, "how long have you been here?"

Anakin: "Since I was very little. Three, I think. My mom and I were sold to Gordola the Hutt, but she lost us gambling on podraces."

So the question is, where was Anakin up until he was 3 years old?

Could this somehow tie in Qui-Gon, Dooku, or Sidious (or someone else) for Episode III?

Am I reading too much into that scene? 8-}
  2. stinrab Manager Emeritus

star 5
    In what way could such a plot point advance the thrust of the story though? I'm not sure how the details of Anakin's early childhood could tie into his present development as a character (and even his transformation into Darth Vader)
  3. Obi-Ron42 Jedi Knight

star 1
    Padme's question probably referred to how long Anakin was Watto's slave, not how long he has been on Tatooine. At least, that's the way I always interpreted it.
  4. Captain_Typho Force Ghost

star 5
    In what way could such a plot point advance the thrust of the story though? I'm not sure how the details of Anakin's early childhood could tie into his present development as a character (and even his transformation into Darth Vader)-Stinrab

Yeah Stinrab, I gotta agree with you here. I see no way of how this could be a plot point or advance the plot of the story
  5. Garth Maul Manager Emeritus

star 6
    Uh sorry, maybe I should have been more clear.

It's not I like I *believe* this will be a plot point, I was just wondering if you thought it was possible if:

(a) the lack of Anakin's father would be explained - I never quite trusted Shmi's explanation;

(b) could somebody like Sidious have placed Anakin on Tatooine, on a miserable little dustball where he could grow up anonymously.

What I mean is - why didn't they just say he was born on Tatooine? Who sold them to Gordola the Hutt?

Of course, it is quite possible that I'm simply misinterpreting the line, as you've pointed out, and if so, why then this thread is useless. [face_laugh]
  6. Captain_Typho Force Ghost

star 5
    What I mean is - why didn't they just say he was born on Tatooine? Who sold them to Gordola the Hutt?

If this info was to be revealed, I think it would be revealed in the EU and not in Episode 3.
  7. arrowheadpodracer Force Ghost

star 5
    GARTH, I always interpreted those lines the same way; That he had come from some other place. The "Since I was three.." was in reference to his time on the planet, not just with Watto. After all, they were sold to Gardula, not Watto.
    I'm not sure if more talk of Anakins conception or birth could advance the story at all. Any explanation would bring a lot of questions with it, and I dont think its neccessary.

Then again, maybe its some big plot twist.

:confused:
  8. stinrab Manager Emeritus

star 5
    could somebody like Sidious have placed Anakin on Tatooine, on a miserable little dustball where he could grow up anonymously.

But why would Sidious put such a force-powerful kid on Tatooine? Wouldn't it make more sense to train him in the darkside from birth?
  9. arrowheadpodracer Force Ghost

star 5
  10. Garth Maul Manager Emeritus

star 6
    blast.

alright, alright, what about this:

Sidious/Dooku/someone else inadvertently stumbles upon Anakin at birth, senses a "vergence" in the Force, takes Anakin off to Tatooine for "safe keeping".

An ace up the sleeve. An apprentice to train for later. Maybe the Sith start training at age 10, who knows? Maybe Darth Maul was pretty kick-butt and he didn't want to train Anakin at this time.

The Will of the Force (i.e., God/Fate) interjects, Qui-Gon find Anakin - he IS the Chosen One. Sidious is ticked, but there's nothing he can do but try to tempt Anakin to the Dark Side, slowly but surely.

There you go, not bad if I do say so myself. ;)

Don't get me wrong, I don't believe this, but I thought this is a possible plot point. Unlikely, but better than Darth Maul coming back. [face_laugh]
  11. hew Force Ghost

star 4
    "But why would Sidious put such a force-powerful kid on Tatooine? Wouldn't it make more sense to train him in the darkside from birth?"

Well, apparently it was a good enough idea for Obi-Wan to try it again with Luke. [face_laugh]
  12. arrowheadpodracer Force Ghost

star 5
    GARTH- I guess its possible that Sidious knew about Ani's birth, or was somehow involved, but I think to go back to that now would be unnecessary.

hew-Well, apparently it was a good enough idea for Obi-Wan to try it again with Luke

Maybe this belongs in the ANH forum, but that never made any sense to me at all. Think of all the crap that happened, and all the people who probably died, because they left Luke with Owen and Beru instead of training him from birth.
    I'm hoping we'll get the explanation in E3, but, "Quick, lets hide!" wont do it for me.
    I hope there is a real reason why they leave Luke sitting there so long.
    And, maybe there will be a similar reason for Anakin spending his time on Tattooine.
  13. Garth Maul Manager Emeritus

star 6
    oohhhh...maybe we should move this, that's a great topic for debate.

Maybe they wanted Luke to have a "normal" upbringing - in a way, he didn't have to be on the level of Anakin or Obi-Wan to confront Vader or the Emperor - he basically just had to get there.

So they wanted him to grow up like a normal kid, not knowing how special he was - unlike Anakin.
  14. Dark Lady Mara Manager Emeritus

star 7
    Post another thread about that in CT and I strangle you. :mad:

Seriously, in one line or less, I think Obi-Wan knew full well that it wasn't wise to leave Luke in plain sight on Tatooine. It's possible Luke was there as bait.

That analogy doesn't work for Anakin, though. There was a chance something strange would be revealed about Anakin's parentage in AotC, but since we've gotten this far without hearing anything, I don't think it should be questioned anymore. Lucas has taken the "Anakin as Jesus" symbolism far enough that I don't think he'll screw it up now.
  15. POOHBAH_FETT Jedi Padawan

I'm with Dark Lady here.

The whole Palpatine involved with Anakin's birth, cloning, blah blah reeks of fanboyness. Like Darth Maul being a clone of ObiWan etc;

Anakin as Jesus fits in with the whole mythic structure. Just leave it at that.
  16. Lightsaber_Style8675 Jedi Knight

star 3
    Anakin not born on tatooine...hmmm never thought about that when I watched TPM. What might really twist the plot is if he was born somewhere in the core planets and was never sensed at birth. This could have something to do with Sidious, because if he were trained from a baby he might not have gone bad. Interesting...
  17. arrowheadpodracer Force Ghost

star 5
    It's possible Luke was there as bait.

I never liked that theory. Obi-Wan loses to Vader. Without seeing E3, I obviously cant say what happened in their last encounter, but I think Vader is stronger than Obi-Wan and Obi-Wan knows it. I dont think Obi-Wan thinks he could beat him, or why wouldn't he just go do it? Why would he have to lure him to Tattooine?
    (DLM, if you could post a link or bump a thread on that in the CT that would be great. :) )
    Maybe this question will be answered in E3.

Back to Anakins birth. -

I guess its possible that Sidious had a part to play. Maybe only that he knew when it happened and began watching the boy, or maybe he orchestrated the sale to Gardula the hutt to get them way out there in the outer rim.
    The only reason I can think of, is so that Anakin could become attached to a mother that Sidious knew he would lose. Even if she hadnt been killed by Tuskens, if Sid had a part to play, I'm sure she would have died another way. ;)
    But that still leaves me with one question: Why not train him from birth? Even if he had Maul, if he was aware of this kids birth, and how powerful he could become, then why wait?
  18. stinrab Manager Emeritus

star 5
    Well, apparently it was a good enough idea for Obi-Wan to try it again with Luke

IMO, Obi-Wan didn't train Luke from birth because he saw himself as a failure with Anakin. He didn't want to screw up with Luke and create another Sith.
  19. arrowheadpodracer Force Ghost

star 5
  20. DarthTerrious Force Ghost

star 5
    IMO, Obi-Wan didn't train Luke from birth because he saw himself as a failure with Anakin. He didn't want to screw up with Luke and create another Sith.

Exactamundo, I doubt Obi-Wan wanted to train Luke, especially so soon after he had witnessed the fall of his best friend.

And also just clear this whole thing up, Anakin's birth was a plot point. Within TPM we found that he had a mysterious birth and that he was the Chosen One.
    Sorry to ask this, but why can't people just accept this?
    Anakin was born via Midichlorians, get over it.
  21. Garth Maul Manager Emeritus

star 6
    it's called conjecture, Terrious.

Since we have almost no information about Episode III, we have to make a lot of stuff up.

Last time I watched TPM, this topic came to me. I thought we could debate it.

Should we limit discussion in this forum to things that will *most likely* happen?
  22. DarthTerrious Force Ghost

star 5
    I'll call its pointless conjecture.

So I'll keep out of it.
  23. Obi-Ron42 Jedi Knight

star 1
    Why didn't Obi keep Luke and train him? Your guess is as good as mine, but I think it may have something to do with the fact that Luke came (or was brought) to him.
  24. Garth Maul Manager Emeritus

star 6
    alright, this is getting off topic. It's not really about Anakin's birth anymore - but then, I never intended it to be a lengthy thread. ;)

Edit: deleted personal attack

I think it's possible, but not likely that Sidious had a hand in Anakin's birth or placement on Tatooine.

Just like I argued that it's possible, but not likely that Sidious was behind the Tusken kidnapping of Shmi.
  25. arrowheadpodracer Force Ghost

star 5
    you think so?

Wow. that galaxy far far away is starting to seem smaller than my neighborhood.

;)

:p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.