main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Will Anakin's (not the twins) birth be a plot point?

Discussion in 'Archive: Revenge of the Sith (Non-Spoilers)' started by Garth Maul, Sep 20, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jedi Greg Maddux

Jedi Greg Maddux Jedi Knight star 6

Aug 3, 1999
    I think it's possible, but not likely that Sidious had a hand in Anakin's birth or placement on Tatooine.

Can't see that happening. Nuh-uh, no way.

At the time, Sidious already had an apprentice in Darth Maul. By the time Maul had outlived his usefulness (killed off, to be precise) Anakin would also be too old to be trained for Sith-hood. According to the EU, Sith (not counting Dooku) are trained since birth, just like Jedi, but are individually trained to be malicious weapons of wrath and destruction.

If Anakin was so valuable to Sidious, then why did Maul nearly run him down as he and QGJ fled to the Nubian ship? If we play by your scenario, surely Sidious would have told him to ensure Anakin remains intact.

I'm just going to accept things the way they are, even if they're unexplained. GL probably meant to leave a few things out to keep us guessing.

Anakin's the Chosen One, his connections to the Jedi Council and Sidious are purely coincidental. I'll leave it at that, but that's just me.

2. Garth Maul

Garth Maul Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 18, 2002
    Good points - I agree, the scenario is unlikely. I'm just arguing to kill time until May 2005. [face_laugh]

In order to retort, I will say that I guess Sidious could have told Maul about Anakin, and he didn't realize that little kid he almost ran down was Anakin. Pretty weak.

Or maybe he didn't want Maul to get any ideas a la Dooku with Obi-Wan or Vader with Luke.

Well, maybe having Sidious place Anakin on Tatooine is just too far from the realm of possibility.

Maybe it was Sifo-Dyas. ;)

3. Forja-Bingbey

Forja-Bingbey Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 12, 2002
  4. Ghost_Jedi

Ghost_Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 27, 2003
    ?But why would Sidious put such a force-powerful kid on Tatooine? Wouldn't it make more sense to train him in the darkside from birth??

I agree with Garth Maul, and think it could have been either Sidious or Dooku. And I have a good GL reason why. It is been well stated that the GL has borrowed heavily from mythology, and here he could return to it again.
    When studying Freud, you learn about the Oedipus Complex, which dates back to the Greek Myth of Oedipus. My memory is a little fuzzy on the little details but here is the gist: When Oedipus was born, there was a prophecy that he would go on to kill his father, marry his mother, and become king. Upon learning of this Oedipus? dad hired a lumberjack(?) to kill the baby. However he could not, and instead left the baby in the forest, where he was by an elderly couple. Flash forward 2 decades, and the king is holding a tournament, where Oedipus is one of the contestants in the javelin. He throws the javelin, the moment after he does a huge gust of wind takes the javelin and kills the king(O?s father). The queen (O?s mom) seeing how great of an athlete/warrior he is marries him. Few years later, Oedipus goes to the oracle and learns of what he did.

Now imagine in SW universe that either Dooku/Sidious knew that this boy would kill one or both of them. Thus in order to prevent this they tried to either kill him, or bury him in a far off world. Remember we do not know when either one became Sith. And with Dooku, he went into hiding, and then went planet hoping, so there could be a chance of a whole paternal lineage (Please don?t attack me, it is only a theory).

However once, QG emerged w/ Ani, Palps tried to redo his fate or simply saw it as an omen.

Does it make sense, as the acceptance of fate, and accepting the Will of the Force have been discussed before.

5. Garth Maul

Garth Maul Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 18, 2002
    Hmm...I never even considered the myth of Oedipus, mostly because that conjures up images of guys lusting after their moms...

But I like it - Palps trying to mess with Destiny, and getting caught in the end.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.